Why do people still believe the Earth is 6000 years old (Young Earthers)?

Author Topic: Why do people still believe the Earth is 6000 years old (Young Earthers)?  (Read 3772 times)

It's 2017 years old smh
No earth actually died 2017 years ago and this is a simulation

i would blame Christianity, but the bible actually doesn't say anything at all about the age of the earth so im not sure where they get these numbers from.

Planr is the only non-ironic creationist on the forums IIRC, so you might as well ask him. The answer you'll get will probably sound something like this though:

because some middle eastern dude called jesus said so

i would blame Christianity, but the bible actually doesn't say anything at all about the age of the earth so im not sure where they get these numbers from.

The Jewish calendar starts at the supposed time God created everything. (6000 years ago), so 1 A.M (Anno Mundi) was the year of creationism, I think I remember reading that in a book about facts, including calendars.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:29:24 PM by MoleManFromMiddleMars »

Okay here is another idea, the Jewish calendar starts at the year that is said to be when God created the World and since Judaism was the first Abrahamic religion, it tends to apply to Christianity and such as well.
No, this isn't it either...

Calendars are merely a human-created construct. The Chinese, Arabs, Jews and Christians, even North Koreans each have their own calendars and they are only a method of gauging time. If I pointed to a rope and said "It's 3 meters long" and you enter with your own measuring device and say "No, it's 5.3 hublahs long" it doesn't mean stuff.

While I am a Christian and yes, believe that the Earth is young. I don't believe the Old Earth Theory because casting the idea that all knowledge of the origins of life, the Earth and the Universe was arrived through unaltered scientific method is an insult to the scientific method itself. In the Old Earth, have not experienced the events of the past in our time—It is not our experience and our observations in our time, and thus it is not our history.  As a result, it undermines the strength of the argument. Furthermore, there is no way to test said gathered data after building a theory around it through experiments that will provide definitive proof that something is the way it is.  Additionally, radiocarbon dating is less and less reliable he further you go back because you need exponentially greater equipment, something that is not possible with today's technology, and, with margins of error widening the further you go back, the less "scientific" the result ends up being. I have no beef whatsoever with Old Earthers believing hat they will and Young Earthers believing what they will, but under the purely scientific scope, neither is proven, and any person who struts about like an ass claiming it is as proven through science or the bible is a blinded zealot.

No, this isn't it either...

Calendars are merely a human-created construct. The Chinese, Arabs, Jews and Christians, even North Koreans each have their own calendars and they are only a method of gauging time. If I pointed to a rope and said "It's 3 meters long" and you enter with your own measuring device and say "No, it's 5.3 hublahs long" it doesn't mean stuff.

While I am a Christian and yes, believe that the Earth is young. I don't believe the Old Earth Theory because casting the idea that all knowledge of the origins of life, the Earth and the Universe was arrived through unaltered scientific method is an insult to the scientific method itself. In the Old Earth, have not experienced the events of the past in our time—It is not our experience and our observations in our time, and thus it is not our history.  As a result, it undermines the strength of the argument. Furthermore, there is no way to test said gathered data after building a theory around it through experiments that will provide definitive proof that something is the way it is.  Additionally, radiocarbon dating is less and less reliable he further you go back because you need exponentially greater equipment, something that is not possible with today's technology, and, with margins of error widening the further you go back, the less "scientific" the result ends up being. I have no beef whatsoever with Old Earthers believing hat they will and Young Earthers believing what they will, but under the purely scientific scope, neither is proven, and any person who struts about like an ass claiming it is as proven through science or the bible is a blinded zealot.

Can you add a TL;DR please?

Because some people believe that every single word of the bible is to be taken literally. Apparently this implies that the earth is 6-10k years old.

Unfortunately, literally every piece of scientifically rigorous evidence says that this is not the case. The post by SWAT One for example is full-on hooey. I'll go into detail later.

I'm Christian and even I believe earth is insanely old and dont deny science like a nutjob

The Earth being billions of years old is the result of simple observation, not just scientific theory. There is effectively no doubt over the fact the Earth is billions of years old. It is a fact along the lines of 'the sky is blue' or 'water is wet'. Let me explain why:

First, we have found crystals made out of a compound called Zircon. Zircon is capable of naturally incorporating two other elements, uranium and thorium, into its crystal structure. However, it is impossible for Zircon to incorporate lead into its crystal structure. People have extensively tried to make this happen under natural circumstances and it is impossible. For now, just remember that fact.

Second, we have found Zircon crystals in incredibly old samples of rock which have been forced out from the deepest parts of the Earth due to tectonic activity. In these crystals, we find the presence of lead in some of the same places we'd expect uranium or thorium. We know from earlier that lead in Zircon crystals is impossible, which means that the only way that lead can be in these crystals is if it started out as uranium or thorium, and underwent radioactive decay to become lead.

Third, we know of only two decay chains that can transform uranium into lead. One of which is the decay of uranium-238 to lead-206, which has a measured half-life of 4.47 billion years. Another is the decay of uranium-235 to lead-207, which has a half-life of 710 million years. Thus, by looking at the ratios of uranium-238 and uranium-235 to lead-206 and lead-207 respectively, we have a two-fold way of confirming how old Zircon crystals are.

Finally, by using this technique on zircon crystals, we have found pieces of zircon which date back roughly 4.4 billion years, which is why our oldest certain estimate of Earth's age is 4.4 billion years.

So in general, we know for a fact that Earth is 4.4 billion years. The error bars on that estimate are only 6 million years, which can make Earth, 'at best', only 4.334 billion years old. Now that you know all this, how can you possibly say that the Earth is 'young' when we know for certain that it isn't? Do you think God just hid Zircon crystals with chemically-impossible configurations just to trick scientists into measuring the wrong age?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:10:07 PM by SeventhSandwich »

Looked into the "answers in genesis" thing, they give no proof whatsoever besides "the bible says so" which is not good proof as the bible shouldnt be taken literally.

Still no clue why people believe this, but im close to going with "cause the bible".

the human mind does not have an inherently rational understanding of reality. one's understanding of what is normal, not only on a logical level, but a subconscious, gut-feeling level, is molded by the culture that it is raised by. when you are raised like this, you will almost always refuse to accept conflicting logic, even if to any rational bystander, you are absolutely off your rocker.

the reason there are still creationists is because they were raised on such ideas, and it is extremely cognitively difficult for them to rationalize science which contradicts their dogma. it's not their fault, in my opinion- they had no say in how they were raised.

nowadays, science is no longer considered heretical as a whole. it is considered respectable and prestigious in the mainstream. modern creationists, raised in this culture, must rationalize how their beliefs and science do not contradict. they achieve this by 1 of 2 methods.

method 1: they deny the validity of scientific fields of research that conflict with their beliefs, and they develop pseudoscientific hypotheses to solidify their faith in the modern world. this is best seen as the rise of "intelligent design". a pseudoscientific modernization of creationism which claims to be secular despite only having funding which is religious in origin.

method 2: they remain laymen towards their religion, science, or both. that way, they never see the conflicts themselves, and their bubble is left intact. ignorance is bliss.

despite painfully obvious evidence suggesting the earth being billions of years old, and rife with life created by natural selection, these people grasp at anything that can support their denialism. they will hold up the improbability of life happening by chance, yet willfully disregard the many contradictions that riddle their religion.

i'm not being a fedora neckbeard by saying this. western nations are already losing their theological shackles; western political theory is almost completely secular.

science is different from ideology and theology in that it is built upon readily seeking a more accurate explanation of reality. our limited capacity for accepting radical change in beliefs (as i explained earlier) makes this difficult, even within the forefront of the scientific community. nevertheless, while a science-dominated society may periodically be corrupted by the interests of those that rule, it will naturally gravitate towards the truth. this is why modern europe is dominated by liberal (not the modern subset definition of the word) democracies.

that being said, i am not advocating for a society ruled by atheistic scientists, let me make that very clear. most modern religious denominations are benign, and even helpful for their communities; as they have lost much of the power they once had, there is little left to corrupt. scientists are just as susceptible to corruption and ignorance as any other person; they're not better than their peers. they simply work under a framework of logic which is built upon changing to suit reality. in this way, they're as molded as the zealot who insults them on youtube. the only difference is that the zealot's in active denial of any contradiction to his beliefs.