Google fires James Damore for memo on echochamber

Author Topic: Google fires James Damore for memo on echochamber  (Read 23664 times)

he's being brutally honest and he's 100% correct

To cite the article in tber's post above yours, "engineering is all about cooperation, collaboration, and empathy for both your colleagues and your customers." When this dude comes strolling along saying we should "de-empathize empathy," further proving that he has no idea what he's talking about, your instinct is to agree with him? I'll be optimistic and say you posted this to be contrarian (or conformist to this forum's culture) and didn't actually read this dude's stuffty juvenile research paper.

Any thoughts on this former Google employee's response to the memo?
this is a valid point, esp the part about the manifesto/memo creating a hostile working environment. that's enough to fire an employee, tbh.

since someone got wind of it outside the company i'd say its a fair bet that he wasn't exactly discreet with his distribution of this memo within the company and so had immediately caused workplace drama. he wouldnt have had to be fired if it was discreet and between him and his manager only.

"Women are biologically inferior to men in terms of technical ability"
"wtf why are you firing me"

Not to mention he immediately mentions that he is a libertarian despite nobody caring or needing to know this information.

because he was fired over his lack of technical ability and not, y'know, exposing Google

I am genuinely dumbfounded by you sometimes

it has more to do with the gender roles of society. when you give girls dolls that allow them to partake in housekeeping activities and raising children and other bullstuff you essentially instill the 'a woman's place is in the house' mentality that draws them away from tech jobs and manual labour

still, women have a small edge over men in the user interface and sociological side of the tech field, like advertising and user friendliness

it has more to do with the gender roles of society. when you give girls dolls that allow them to partake in housekeeping activities and raising children and other bullstuff you essentially instill the 'a woman's place is in the house' mentality that draws them away from tech jobs and manual labour

this is as dumb as saying men are stronger because they're shoved into playing sports

because he was fired over his lack of technical ability and not, y'know, exposing Google

I am genuinely dumbfounded by you sometimes
Well considering he barely grasps the concept of what it means to be an engineer, let alone how to function in a company and behave like a responsible adult, I'd say it actually was the former.

still, women have a small edge over men in the user interface and sociological side of the tech field, like advertising and user friendliness
Women being socially conditioned to be more receptive towards emotions does not, in any way, correlate with a lessened technical ability. Human abilities aren't some measurable substance that has to be rationed out proportionally to specific skills.
this is as dumb as saying men are stronger because they're shoved into playing sports
Why does it not surprise me that you would deny fundamental sociological concepts because they don't align with your politics?

100% correct, but they had to fire him

Why does it not surprise me that you would deny fundamental sociological concepts because they don't align with your politics?

trying to place yourself above me in any respect is adorable kimon

trying to place yourself above me in any respect is adorable kimon
It's already common knowledge that you don't know what the forget you're talking about, I'm not "trying" to do anything here.

It's already common knowledge that you don't know what the forget you're talking about, I'm not "trying" to do anything here.
the irony in this post is amazing

100% correct, but they had to fire him
is firing him not validating the point about how those with differing opinions from the "status quo" are intimidated/shamed into staying silent?

the irony in this post is amazing

Well considering he barely grasps the concept of what it means to be an engineer, let alone how to function in a company and behave like a responsible adult, I'd say it actually was the former.

Are you an engineer? Because he is, and so am I. Having an echo chamber is EXTREMELY bad, because not only is there a ton of lost potential creativity but stuff can just straight up fail on you and people can die (that's more on the side of civil/mechanical engineering but the point still stands).

This idea that you should never disagree with the group ever is loving cancerous and I'm glad this guy is calling Google out on it considering that they're supposed to be the impartial people and not take sides. Yeah you should work together in a civil manner but if you all just start parroting the same stuff without considering other opinions stuff's going to hit the fan real fast.

is firing him not validating the point about how those with differing opinions from the "status quo" are intimidated/shamed into staying silent?
They had to fire him because of the PR situation. If you're an employee of a company and you cause any sort of contraversy for said company under normal circumstances thats grounds to get fired.