Charlottesville protests thread

Author Topic: Charlottesville protests thread  (Read 52707 times)

hey man, guns germs and steel is a fantastic book

im sure destroying a monument of Riddler doesn't count as 'erasing history'

before you 'hah gottem!' my ass with some bullstuff on how im a handicap for comparing one robert e lee to adolf Riddler, i think my point stands that having a monument for someone who did more bad than good can't really be justified even through 'muh history'. leading one side of the war doesn't offset or balance the fact that he essentially re-enslaved potentially free slaves and had them arrested when they tried to complain about how they were supposed to be free

you can't go far in the permanently glorified in history department when you owned human beings against their will, and this applies to george washington all the way to ulysses s grant
Statues of bad people serve as a reminder not to let it happen again not as a way of glorifying them. Additionally a lot of the Confederate statues serve as a memorial for the Confederate soldiers who died fighting for what they believe in and we should honor them for that (even if what they believed in was objectively bad).

Statues of bad people serve as a reminder not to let it happen again not as a way of glorifying them. Additionally a lot of the Confederate statues serve as a memorial for the Confederate soldiers who died fighting for what they believe in and we should honor them for that (even if what they believed in was objectively bad).
Having a stoic-looking statue of the guy on a literal high horse with freedom and liberty symbolism decorating the space below the statue that isn't taken up by a massive print of his name gives off a "glorification" vibe more than it does a "this is a statue of a dangerous tribal" one.

trust me when i say that charlottesville is pretty liberal. idk why they chose to protest there because i don't know who they think they can get to, but they ain't gonna take pride in a confederate statue for its confederacy

hey I'm an hour away from Charlottesville

i think my point stands that having a monument for someone who did more bad than good can't really be justified even through 'muh history'. leading one side of the war doesn't offset or balance the fact that he essentially re-enslaved potentially free slaves and had them arrested when they tried to complain about how they were supposed to be free

that's how most of the people look at it, but in my view, i literally just see a general who serviced the USA no matter what they believed in, just because they had disagreeable viewpoints doesn't exactly mean they should be demonized or shamed upon, it's literally just part of american history and a reminder of what we fought for. robert e. lee was only but just a confederate general who fought for what he believed in, you need to see it more than just the guy who think slavery should be kept. there's plenty of more to it on the civil war than just "slavery is good vs. slavery is bad", which is one the most controversial subject for the civil war. statues, museums, and other such have multiple messages from complete education to just reminders of our past and what we fought for, and how we will manage to keep it that way for our country and never let it slide. many citizens and soldiers have learned much more after the war than just slavery. if you think i'm included in your arguments that i think it should be kept for historical reasons then you're wrong, i see it more than just history.

i'm not completely saying they should keep it, but if they just want to remove it and throw it in the trash for no other reason than just it being "completely offensive", then yeah, i'll think it's bullstuff. we should have a right to learn about our generals, the war, the confederacy, and the union. this is completely different reasoning than just white supremacy of white lives matter or any of that bullstuff, just so you know.

sorry if it seems like mumble jumble but i hope you at least get my point here
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 01:04:05 PM by Køtt »

I live next to Charlottesville, I've been observing the news for the past few weeks across all platforms to avoid left or right bias. I'm waiting for BLM to march into Charlottesville and turn it into rubble.

I love the silence on this thread toward these absolute hooligans. Just goes to show where the outrage is directed toward. A car just drove through a crowd of counter protestors. This has literally become a terrorist attack.

i don't agree with hitting people with your car but taking down statues of important people is dumb too

i don't agree with hitting people with your car but taking down statues of important people is dumb too

Like the two are comparable. forgetin hell, people probably could've / might've died after getting rammed by a car and instead the attention is on the statue. Remember the Nice attack a year ago?

I live next to Charlottesville, I've been observing the news for the past few weeks across all platforms to avoid left or right bias. I'm waiting for BLM to march into Charlottesville and turn it into rubble.

Did BLM ram into a crowd of counterprotestors? Seems like the whites are the ones doing the violence now.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:00:05 PM by LeisureSuit912 »

Did BLM ram into a crowd of counterprotestors? Seems like the whites are the ones doing the violence now.
Have these white groups burned stores and cars, loot, and essentially create a warzone between riot police? So far, these white groups are acting better than BLM in the past

Have these white groups burned stores and cars, loot, and essentially create a warzone between riot police? So far, these white groups are acting better than BLM in the past
instead they're starting violence with each other and counter protesters...is that any better?

instead they're starting violence with each other and counter protesters...is that any better?
No, but that is to expected when you pit two ideologies together.

Like the two are comparable. forgetin hell, people probably could've / might've died after getting rammed by a car and instead the attention is on the statue. Remember the Nice attack a year ago?

i don't think they are you loving idiot. i just said taking down a statue is also dumb. get your ego out of your posts for half a second