Poll

As for someone who wants to make 3D models for his own games, what would be the best and easier?

Blender
32 (64%)
3DS Max
11 (22%)
Other
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Blender or 3DS Max? - Added poll  (Read 3263 times)

I want to take a step further in 3D modelling to the point where I could take it as a proper job, I was wondering if any of these two programs could do me well, Blender is free and lighter than 3DS Max, but 3DS can also produce incredibly professional (and even cinema quality) content but I believe it requires a lot more storage and processing power.

In my case I want to start making models for my own games in higher quality and reduce my workload with better and modern tools, and if it goes well open up my own studio and team up with other developers, I admit that I had used milkshape 3D this entire time and it's time to move on.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:30:59 AM by Filipe »

im pretty sure 3ds max is great for animation

3DS Max is more common in professional work environments, so it'd probably be easier to learn, get help with, installing and using various plugins, etc

I added a poll, to be fair I believe Blender would be easier to learn, but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:34:48 AM by Filipe »

blender is good but it isnt used in industry at all basically, for whatever reason (blender is trying to change that with 2.8, which will be a massive overhaul of the existing system). most professional game and animation companies use maya and 3dsmax (maya for animating, 3dsmax for modeling)

Blender's advantage is that its free, the others are pretty expensive and have subscriptions.

If you are considering Maya, checkout Maya LT.

in my eyes, 3d modelling tools are a lot like DAWS. they all essentially do the same thing and can produce the same quality of work, it's just about your skillset and what you find to be easier to use

blender is a great tool to start getting the hang of things with when it comes to the extensive bits of modelling. 3ds Max and really the whole autodesk suite is much more in twined with modern day game engines and is more prominent in professional work environments.

blender is defo probably the easier of the two to learn, but it honestly just depends on what you dedicate yourself to. Maya was honestly easier for me to pick up, follow tutorials, and quickly get into the core modelling aspect of it. blenders too clunky and all over the place for me, but it was fun making photo realistic earths with. i was given the autodesk complete suite tho. you don't really let an opportunity like that go to waste lol

blender is also free, and if 3ds is anything close to what I have, it'll cost boat loads of money. they probably do subscription services now; however. (ultimate suite 2013 was about 8k, at the time of me recieving it)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:41:11 AM by mod-man »

At least learn how to use the industry standard, that way you can at least use both and have options. Maya/3DS is certainly an industry standard and knowing how to use it doesn't hurt.

Maya is apparently top tier. Blender is only really for if you can't afford Maya or Max

You can do anything in all software.
Max is more of an architecture tool, it's like taking Maya and a cad software. People use it to make interiors, buildings, and neat hardsurface vehicles. Making characters is no problem, but you'd save time in Maya. It's more about architectural visualization rather than squishy organic modeling.
Maya is excellent for character development and animation and mainly game development as popular choice, there's a lot of tutorials, and it allows add-ons, and there's a lot. It's made use of Arnold renderer in the recent 2017 version, and I love it, even with its quirky fallbacks. Importantly, it's making strides to directly connect its exportation options with Unity and Unreal, it's really easy to go back and forth between the two. However you will rely on secondary software to texture your models'n things. Software like Mudbox, Substance Painter, Zbrush, and hell, Blender has excellent painting services.
Blender is reliable, and it has everything you need, plus a caring community that supports it with many add-ons. Blender can do everything without switching windows, you can paint a character with both freehand, and procedural texturing. +10

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:34:37 PM by Riot »

the thing is that unless you really are a god tier modeler, most studios basically absolutely require experience with the programs they use since they're often on a tight schedule and dont have time to train new employees on how to use the program, just how to follow their workflow

Yeas, I recently got a call form a job 15 minutes drive, and they said they loved my resume, but hung up when they heard how early I graduated. I didn't even get the chance to link them my portfolio.

Yeas, I recently got a call form a job 15 minutes drive, and they said they loved my resume, but hung up when they heard how early I graduated. I didn't even get the chance to link them my portfolio.

Wat? They don't like young people?

I'm installing Maya, I'll take a look.