Poll

systems

a crafting table where you can add and remove parts of the weapon
2 (14.3%)
item system, essentially like, pistol1, pistol2, pistol3, and the host can change the stats for each through prefs
1 (7.1%)
events like (addModularWeapon, addModularAttachment, etc)
11 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: modular weapon system help  (Read 1152 times)

alright so this is just me broadly asking what features would work best in this pack im working on. essentially it's a weapon system that allows you to customize individual weapons' functionaly, aesthetics & color. it's sort of like if you imagine xcom 2's modular weapons, allowing you to add things like scopes which increase your aim, or stocks which allow you to adjust your aim, etc.

essentially just asking broadly what features would work best for delivering this pack.

here's an example to jog your memory if you missed the old topic
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:40:43 PM by PhantOS »

i dont see why all three can't be used

what you could do is like you start with base gun, and have separate items for each attachment or modification. if you pick up the attachment while you have the gun equipped you can gain them. events would automatically be supported as you could just spawn the attachment item.

this has the bonus of working for multiple different weapons with the same attachment type.

as for removing attachments you could have /clearattachments or /removeattachments with a list of suggestions based on what your gun has.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:52:45 PM by Conan »

i was debating the aspect of making attachments their own items, but in the way i have it set up, each gun would have its own set of attachments, which would total around 12. so with like, 5 of the modular guns, you'd have 60 total attachment items.

as a workaround i could make attachments compatible with different weapons, but the sad part is that the attachments would look slightly different for each gun, also determining which guns the attachment is compatible with would be hard at first glance

or instead of all the above, i could just go event-only mode and add the default un-modified gun as an item for pickup, and have the event call when the item is picked up
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:25:40 PM by PhantOS »