stuff you hate in video games

Author Topic: stuff you hate in video games  (Read 11658 times)

integrated tutorial at beginning of games that arnt seamless at all...
just in your face, 4th wall, talking to you like you are stupid, instructions.

i played college ball you know

i dislike a lot of common MMORPG design tropes i guess

i dont like MMORPGs and MOBAs in general

Heavy RNG.
Weapon spread in a shooting game? Sure, understandable.
A bit of damage range? A little 93-117 range never really hurt anyone.
And I can see the necessity for random drops. But 0.1% chance for something that only happens like once every 5 minutes is awful. Please don't.
And even crits are sometimes fine. As long as they're not absurd, like doubling damage.

But oh my god. Do I hate hit/dodge chances, heavy crits, CARDS, absurd drop rates, and things that are like "hits random spots within this area".

PLEASE.

Melee weapons that only hit where the crosshair is pointing.
As if it's just a gun shooting invisible bullets.
This includes smaller games like Blockland, and much larger games like Elder Scrolls.
Though for Blockland, it'd be something you can mod in. And for ES, who knows how many more bugs it'd create. So maybe those are bad examples.

One of the biggest for me is when a game has both race and gender selection. And you have non-human races. Male, totally not human, big, scary looking. Female, pretty much looks human but has a couple of things that the male has. Like a tail or horns. Or even worse, everything but the face and torso.

Furry example, but an example nonetheless. The females look much more uncanny in the game than they do in the illustration. The rest of the 3 races in Archeage are just humans with different names. I think one of them has pointy ears.

Even worse when your character responds to it in confusion.
"Press the X button to jump!"
"What??? What's an X button?"

no stop. don't do that.
Also on the subject of 4th walls. Games that are 'meta' and don't do it right. Like OFF for example.
A character or two will talk to the 'player' and you're just 'controlling' the main character, and all the things he does are your decision. Or you could've just not did that and left the game to have it's stuffty story be just a little less stuffty.

Very shallow amount of depth, but 'vast' in size alone.
"Oh our game has a very, very huge map/lots of planets to explore!"
And then there's pretty much nothing to do in it. Or if there is something to do in it, you're just doing the same things everywhere. Tiers don't help.

Games that have gutted/mishandled multiplayer but still continue to sell themselves as multiplayer games.
I believe Sacred 2 used to still say it was multiplayer for a while after the servers shut down, but now it's saying single player.
The Ship and C&C Renegade had issues with multiplayer after transferring ownership. The newer owners of The Ship didn't have the licence for things used to make the game, and the old owners didn't just transfer the server over to them, leaving them to host their own server on their own IP, but unable to actually update the game to make it connect to their server. There's a workaround, but the game definitely died because a majority of the remaining population likely didn't bother looking for one.
C&C Renegade went through a couple of ownership changes. First developed and hosted by Westwood. I'm guessing there wasn't any more profit in hosting the game, so they still kept rights, but a team called XWIS begun to host C&C Renegade for them. This was fine and all other than the fact that the XWIS servers would let players register accounts and connect to the servers even with an invalid serial code. So the community-made anti-cheat program was updated to kick players out for having invalid serial codes.
Well, fast forward I don't know how many years later. EA bought rights to C&C, and sold Renegade in the C&C Collection on Origin (as well as a physical thing that gives you coasters and codes to unlock the games on Origin). Unfortunately, installing Renegade doesn't give nor ask for a serial code. In the background, it was just set to all 0s. This of course, triggers the community-made anti-cheat, effectively barring any players that bought the game through Origin. This may have changed at some point.

Games that have a variety of rarities for items around your progression. The rare ones of course being much better, making everything else seem like junk. The junk you're going to find every 10 seconds.

And then they decide to shovel the rare stuff at you throughout the entire game, either through quests or 'level up rewards' or something stupid. Making loot almost entirely pointless.

invisible walls in unreasonable areas
forget em

I found this in the Sly Cooper games hilarious.

Backtracking
Unexpected difficulty spikes
Water levels
Luck
Whenever certain sections of a game have no checkpoints at all/Checkpoints that are way too sparse
Microtransactions
Instakills
Forced loss battles in RPGs
Button mashing
Ability loss
Hallucination sequences (I'm looking at you, FEAR)
Strict time limits
Levels which demand "perfect runs"
Auto-scrolling levels (combine this with water levels, and you've got a recipe for disaster)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:05:57 AM by Valkerone »

Forced backtracking
The shudders... ice level
RNG
Instakill stuff
Unfair moments
Microtransactions
Basically any level that has to deal with water, solid or liquid

references to very controversial things
too many cutscenes
slow paced movement in fps games
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 08:39:25 AM by Metalliku »

not implementing a vault/climb mechanic while also not increasing jump height to make up for it. getting over a 3ft obstacle shouldn't be impossible

VATS. takes the fun away and getting the ass-end of a 90% hit chance from point blank is infuriating

random crits

autosaves during or right before inevitable, extremely difficult combat

low-quality cutscenes (bad camera angles, terrible writing, crap animations, cringy voice acting, etc)

Having every single game be set in a Post-Apocalypse

RNG that determines the outcome of the game
microtransactions in singleplayer games (not free games)
one-hit-kill sources that weren't made noticeable to the player
severely punishing the player for dying (DS2 and DeS health system a stuff tbh)
QTEs
long missions/fights/travels which get completely reset upon death
games that use retro as an excuse to look and sound bad
multiplayer-focused games with poor weapon/hero/class balance

- I hate games that forces you to play online all the time, the latest NFS Games were like that and I get kicked out sometimes due to connection issues and I can't pause the game at all, and for some reason the "geniuses" that made the game thought it would be a good idea to load the map in such a strange way, that sometimes depending on your connection or ammount of memory you have makes you fall of the map because it coudn't load before you reach a certain part of the map, I get that problem in NFS 2015 a lot, if I don't stop my car before the rest of the map to load up, I'll fall and I have to wait almost 30 seconds to respawn in the race, I lose 90% of the time when that happens.
- I hate when the developers thinks it's okay to add a incredibly questionable physics model for the cars in the game, again NFS Rivals and 2015 for example.
- I hate when you pay for a game which eventually gets a lot of DLC Packs, limiting you with just a small ammount of content if you don't pay for it.
- I hate games that are saturated with unnecessary special effects all over the screen, it's not that big of a problem but I prefer a more natural look.
- Games that promises a lot and gets the community hyped, just to be a big disappointment at the release.
- I hate games that charges a lot for in-game content and it forces you to grind missions over and over to get what you want if you don't want to pay for in-game money, GTA Online got to be that kind of game sadly, if only they could double the ammount of money we receive from missions then that would be a huge improvement.
- I hate when the game forces you to watch a cutscene without a skip button, I've played a few that does that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:35:47 AM by Filipe »