Author Topic: Which model style for weapon/item add-ons do you prefer?  (Read 1174 times)

The title may be a bit confusing, but I'll explain. What I mean by "model style" is mainly if you prefer (or not prefer) Blockland hands on your weapons or items? Like if a weapon add-on had the BL hands modeled in with the weapon and you would hide the hand nodes in the scripting. Or, would you rather have the weapon just use the mountPoint for the player?

I'm asking because I plan on making an arcade-esque weapon pack sometime soon. And I am going to have custom animations, hence why I would like to know if you would like to see hands(custom-shaped or default-shaped) on the weapon (or items). Those animations will most likely be relatively simple, but hopefully well-done imo. I could have custom animations/hand models in first person, but default stuff in third person. Or just switch things around until the weapons look like they fit but are also unique. If I were to just go ahead and make them how I would, there would be hand models on the weapons (default and/or "curled hands" for a certain animation), and I would show everything in the first person, but in third person the player would hold the weapon with just mountPoint and have less custom animations that are simpler. At least that's what I am thinking in my head lol.

Custom animations examples could be: shoot, reload, equip, attack, use, swing, throw, idle...

Also, how do you guys feel about using eyeOffset or not? (eyeOffset keeps weapons/items in view("center") while looking up/down, otherwise looking up/down will make model move out of view "above" or "below" your player)

Thanks for any input!

Personally I hate hands on weapons, they add visual noise and don't match the actual color of my player's hands. they always struck me as an unnecessary and unappealing detail. But they're your weapons mate you should make them however you want.

If I were to just go ahead and make them how I would, there would be hand models on the weapons (default and/or "curled hands" for a certain animation), and I would show everything in the first person, but in third person the player would hold the weapon with just mountPoint and have less custom animations that are simpler. At least that's what I am thinking in my head lol.
yea that's the best way to do it if ur gonna use hands
personally i prefer no hands, but that's just my style since that's what most items use so I can use em interchangeably without it looking strange, but for a pack hands on weapons can certainly look good if done well

Depends on how it's done. Generally, to me at least, items look better following the intended default style of only using just one hand. Though, at the end of the day it is your weapon pack, thus your choice.

definitely case by case, some of them look sillier just being held straight out in one hand in the default pose, some have hands built into them when it just looks dumb and pointless.

hands can definitely add a lot to animations though. midway sentinel's are beautiful for example.

I like eyeOffset since it's more like first-person viewmodels in FPS games.