Author Topic: [Emote] Critical - Expanded (with minicrits and random damage)  (Read 6023 times)

Random crits are fun
hinging your success or failure on a random number generator isn't fun. In fact it's unfair for everyone involved, even the lucky ones. The only people who would ever use this are server hosts that enjoy unbalanced gameplay and hate fun

So this mod forces any weapon (so as long as prefs are enabled) to perform random critical hits?
yes

Did we uhh... Need this?
... Why though
We have add-ons that already use the critical emote, why not expand it and put it to good use?

hinging your success or failure on a random number generator isn't fun. In fact it's unfair for everyone involved, even the lucky ones. The only people who would ever use this are server hosts that enjoy unbalanced gameplay and hate fun
Maybe you don't like it but I actually like random crits for certain attacks, but not everything should be that fair, it's like people saying my Randomizer should be balanced even though it's meant to be completely random for everything, balancing it only makes it less random and makes it more fair making it less fun in my opinion - there is a pref to lower the chance of crits anyway

balacing randomization just means to remove the feature, randomization is what makes things more challenging and fun in my opinion as long as it isn't out of wack
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:47:25 PM by Kyuande »

yes
We have add-ons that already use the critical emote, why not expand it and put it to good use?
Maybe you don't like it but I actually like random crits for certain attacks, but not everything should be that fair, it's like people saying my Randomizer should be balanced even though it's meant to be completely random for everything, balancing it only makes it less random and makes it more fair making it less fun in my opinion - there is a pref to lower the chance of crits anyway

balacing randomization just means to remove the feature, randomization is what makes things more challenging and fun in my opinion as long as it isn't out of wack
randomizer is different because you,ll know immediately if you were given a stuffty hand and can adapt and prioritize which enemies are weaker and should be attached. Then you can avoid the people with insanely good guns until you've built up your  arsenal. This is rng that you can actually recover from and use to your advantage in some way, like a game of poker or blackjack. Spontaneous rng is entirely unfair, unneccesary and poorly balanced. There's no way to tell if the next shot will randomly roll on a crit and the entire fight will suddenly make a sharp turn which the player's skill has no bearing on. There's no way to adapt besides saying "wow the enemys 20 damage shot ended up doing 50 damage so now I have to play super defensively oops they got another 50 damage shot looks like I'm dead too bad I didn't have enough time to change up my strategy'

The only thing I see this working well on is vs bots because the bots have no concept of skill or balance and won't be hurt. But in every competitive setting this is just promoting stupid luck based gameplay and has no good reason to exist besides to sully the experience of a normally balanced fight
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:36:07 AM by PhantOS »

Probably the greatest injustice about random crits is that they will polarize good and bad players further. Whoever manages to lay the most shots down on the enemy will have the greater chance that one of those shots will be a critical hit. People who suck at aiming, such as new and bad players, will miss a larger percentage of their shots, and will be less likely to enjoy the odd advantages of a random crit. So by enabling this you're making the game statistically easier for whoever can land the most shots, on top of the fact that they already deal more damage with those more shots.

This is the only controllable factor in random rng, the only case where human pattern will promote different results. So basically you're creating an army of Halo needlers
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:43:36 AM by PhantOS »

maybe if there were a way to make projectiles that will be crits glow like they do in tf2 it'd be a bit better?

maybe if there were a way to make projectiles that will be crits glow like they do in tf2 it'd be a bit better?
this can definitely happen but it'll be double the datablocks of how many projectiles are created plus a few emitter datablocks to determine that crit - I'm actually fine with this because even though it could be up to 400 datablocks of crit projectiles it's really not that bad if you think about it, guess that could be another pref too that requires a restart

yea instead of just the so called "random damage" which causes problems it will be the projectile that will determine the damage, maybe I should calculate how much of a certain projectile is being created to tone down the chance of crits if they happen way too often

aw yea that would be nice!!
would it be possible to somehow make them team-colored too i wonder? and would it be possible to make each shot of a shotgun-type weapon have a crit chance instead of individual pellets?

would it be possible to somehow make them team-colored too i wonder?
Yes, unfortunately that also will create another good amount of datablocks

and would it be possible to make each shot of a shotgun-type weapon have a crit chance instead of individual pellets?
Yes

Yes, unfortunately that also will create another good amount of datablocks
just make it a disabled by default feature and you're good to go