Author Topic: can't connect to some servers - why? possibly related: getting stuck on auth.  (Read 2753 times)

I'm running BL on stuffty university wifi, and i'm finding that i'm unable to join the vast majority of servers, which display with a ping of ---. But plenty of other people can clearly join these servers. Moreover, I can still join other servers - Honor's Honormining, Tezuni's Slopes CTF, and Anthonyrules144's Speedykart all work fine. But when I try to connect to any of daprog's servers, or Jayce's (non dedicated) server, it just endlessly sends punch packets. Console seems to be unhelpful and gives no information. I can't mess with port forwarding myself since it's university wifi, but UDP is initialized to a different random port every time and I can only succeed BL's auth check about a tenth of the time. Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

I think your university is probably blocking some random ass ports.

I think your university is probably blocking some random ass ports.
Is there a way to use one port on my end and a different one on the other end, or is that not how it works? I don't know much about this sort of thing, and I also don't know how to go about trying to bypass the problem.

udp may not be enabled on your wifi? can you join any and all servers with ping? --- ping servers require udp on both ends, otherwise they're unjoinable

udp may not be enabled on your wifi? can you join any and all servers with ping? --- ping servers require udp on both ends, otherwise they're unjoinable
I can join any server that has a ping. From the sounds of things, udp is probably being disabled on my wifi. I asked the tech folks here and I don't think they know forgetall about it.

I can join any server that has a ping. From the sounds of things, udp is probably being disabled on my wifi. I asked the tech folks here and I don't think they know forgetall about it.
and by "has a ping" i mean "has a ping according to the server list on my client"

yeah thats it then, rip. maybe ask server hosts to port forward or something. in general its good practice

I think conan meant UpnP, not udp. udp is a communication protocol, UpnP is basically automatic port forwarding; which tends to be a common issue causer because people don't have it enabled on their network.

I think conan meant UpnP, not udp. udp is a communication protocol, UpnP is basically automatic port forwarding; which tends to be a common issue causer because people don't have it enabled on their network.
oops yes this