12 (13%)
Land of Dran
40 (43.5%)
Something else "block" related
15 (16.3%)
Block Party
25 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Land of Dran  (Read 32923 times)

Hey I just wanted to bump this to say I hope to have a public building test this weekend.
The next weekend, if all goes well, will have you guys hosting your own servers connected to a master server.
You have no idea how excited i am.

no optimization
Hmm?

Anyway, I'm looking for a good gui library to use. CEGUI looks cool, but is way too complicated for my needs. I did manged to get it compiled/linked though, but haven't managed to render anything.

Glad to see there's more than one Blockland clone in the works. Given Badspot has no interest in the game anymore, Blockland needs a replacement. A few questions:
  • Are you planning on making this game open-source?
  • What platforms will this be supported on? (Please say Linux *crosses fingers*)
  • What engine are you using? Is it your own? If so, what are your plans for graphics optimization?

Also, love the Lua integration. I loving love that language. First language I ever wrote a game in. By the way, it's "Lua", not "LUA". The creators of the language really don't like it when people spell it like that.

The "server updates client-side files automatically" is a good idea, too. We shouldn't have to download an add-on every time a server has it's own GUI for players.

SUPER stoked for the test this weekend! I'm going to tell my brothers (Nothing and SeniorBonBon) about it. Can't hop on until Saturday evening, though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:24:15 AM by Platypi »

pls not lua. i had to use that when I ran a gmod community.

use v8  :nes:

Are you planning on making this game open-source?
Probably not at first. No need to have people forking the code if only 5 people play it anyway.
If I ever stop developing it I will though.
  • What platforms will this be supported on? (Please say Linux *crosses fingers*)
The libraries I've used are all cross platform (SDL, Assimp, CEGUI, Bullet, etc.), so my hope is that few code changes will be needed, and I can easily recompile for linux.
  • What engine are you using? Is it your own? If so, what are your plans for graphics optimization?

It's my own.
Graphics optimizations come after I get a functional Blockland-like game working.
Besides, that's a really big and vague question.
The "server updates client-side files automatically" is a good idea, too. We shouldn't have to download an add-on every time a server has it's own GUI for players.
I mean, it's not dissimilar to what Blockland had.
That said, it opens a lot of security vulnerabilities that I'll need to really think over before I make this public.
SUPER stoked for the test this weekend! I'm going to tell my brothers (Nothing and SeniorBonBon) about it. Can't hop on until Saturday evening, though.
That's about when the test would be, so you're good.

CEGUI is a pretty cool library once you can figure out how to set it up!

lua is just fine, luajit especially

What's wrong with Lua?

Probably not at first. No need to have people forking the code if only 5 people play it anyway.
If I ever stop developing it I will though.
That sounds like the best course of action.

The libraries I've used are all cross platform (SDL, Assimp, CEGUI, Bullet, etc.), so my hope is that few code changes will be needed, and I can easily recompile for linux.
Alright, good to know :D

It's my own.
Graphics optimizations come after I get a functional Blockland-like game working.
Besides, that's a really big and vague question.
Honestly, I don't really know what goes into graphics optimization. I was more just wondering if you were going to bother with it much.

That's about when the test would be, so you're good.
Awesome! Can't wait :)

arrays start at 1

Non-zero based indexing might be the single worst design decision any programming language could make. It's not even a minor inconvenience, it's a catalyst for a major disaster. The lack of operators such as ++ or += and no continue are also turnoffs. I'll be fair to Lua for not having shorthand operators because I'm pretty sure it uses a single-pass compiler.

Lua is pretty easy to interface with any programming language of your choice.

No need to any previous knownledge of its grammatic and synthatic structure.

plus also Lua is a brazilian scripting language ^_^

Non-zero based indexing might be the single worst design decision any programming language could make. It's not even a minor inconvenience, it's a catalyst for a major disaster. The lack of operators such as ++ or += and no continue are also turnoffs. I'll be fair to Lua for not having shorthand operators because I'm pretty sure it uses a single-pass compiler.
wait, why are shorthand ops not supported in single pass? i thought only continues and breaks and the like arent supported in single pass

arrays start at 1
I forgot about that. I get my languages like MATLAB's do it (more consistent with matrix notation). But in Lua? Just a bad choice. That said, I still like Lua as a whole. Metatables make it worth it.

The lack of operators such as ++ or += and no continue are also turnoffs.
Oh god.