Can my computer play Gmod?

Author Topic: Can my computer play Gmod?  (Read 2016 times)

people keep saying "if you cant play TF2 you cant play gmod" but you do realize TF2 is MORE graphically demanding than gmod, right?

ninjaedit: to stress my point, it is literally just a seriously, seriously beefed up HL2. If you can run half life 2, you're fine. seriously.
Right, but this isn't "It runs TF2 poorly." This is "If I run TF2 my computer has to be restarted." Even if GMOD actually functions, it won't be very well. Not worth it, IMO.

chances are if your computer cant run TF2 it'll probably not withstand the average gmod darkrp or having above 100 addons like most people have

people keep saying "if you cant play TF2 you cant play gmod" but you do realize TF2 is MORE graphically demanding than gmod, right?

ninjaedit: to stress my point, it is literally just a seriously, seriously beefed up HL2. If you can run half life 2, you're fine. seriously.

yeah, gmod vanilla maybe. start loading mods in there and you'd be lucky to get 10 fps on low.

if he uses an ultra low config he probably could play simple gamemodes like TTT and sandbox. I've managed playable framerates on a much weaker laptop.

if your computer isn't a loving toaster, yeah probably

but you do realize TF2 is MORE graphically demanding than gmod, right?
That is possibly true (assuming you only stick to default assets and don't load in the TF2 content), but in reality, Garry's Mod consumes far more CPU/RAM resources and uses the GPU for tasks like rendering thumbnails for non-cached objects, and Garry's Mod actually makes use of a lot more particle effects and filters.

you can refund steam games with under 2 hours of play and before a 2 week time period runs out. that is plenty time to buy it, load it with mods that you might like (you don't need the game running to install them) and then see if it black screens on launch

that's literally what that feature is there for

you can refund steam games with under 2 hours of play and before a 2 week time period runs out. that is plenty time to buy it, load it with mods that you might like (you don't need the game running to install them) and then see if it black screens on launch

that's literally what that feature is there for

this

he doesn't have a gpu he has integrated graphics
paired with a really poor cpu and tf2 not working, and i dont think it really looks well for him being able to run it

That's what I thought as well. If you have a GPU then you can still run TF2 even with those specs. A decade-old GPU would be fine when TF2 didn't have all the weapons and hats, but seeing as a lot of those exist today...

OP, if you haven't uninstalled TF2 yet, try a No Hats mod and see if it lets you run the game. If it does then you can run Gmod fine seeing as it doesn't have the half-a-million hats TF2 has.

When in doubt get Gmod during a sale.