Author Topic: OATS Studios resurrect Adam Unity Tech Demo  (Read 2515 times)

Remember that really cool unity tech demo back in 2016? I thought the Chapter 1 was just for show but in fact Neil Blomkamp's Oats Studios have picked up the series and have produced Part 2:

Love the worldbuilding in this series, but above all else the robot designs are real cool, almost give me a FROM software vibe. Give it a watch.

Now imagine if they weren't limiting themselves by using a defective piece of software to produce this series.

Now imagine if they weren't limiting themselves by using a defective piece of software to produce this series.
watch the video before the snark, aight?

watch the video before the snark, aight?
Who says I haven't?

Who says I haven't?
the video came out 38 minutes ago and you posted 2 minutes after my post, i'm just being empirical

omg i need to watch this like asap

the video came out 38 minutes ago and you posted 2 minutes after my post, i'm just being empirical
I work at a Unity-focused game/app company, so I get updates on this kind of stuff pretty bloody quickly. Naturally it'd be on the top of my mind when I saw your post.

It's not even a criticism of the film, it's just a general bite at one of the worst video game engines in the world.

imagine a world where all australians were dead

I work at a Unity-focused game/app company, so I get updates on this kind of stuff pretty bloody quickly. Naturally it'd be on the top of my mind when I saw your post.

It's not even a criticism of the film, it's just a general bite at one of the worst video game engines in the world.
My dad works at Nintendo

What is your opinion on the Unreal Engine btw?

My dad works at Nintendo
My Asian aunt's relative works at Nintendo.

What makes it a bad engine exactly? Is it something beginners should still be okay to use or should a different engine be chosen?

Why does everyone hate Unity anyways?

Why does everyone hate Unity anyways?

Mostly because it gets associated with the stuffty games that get made using the free version of Unity, which forces it to have the 'Unity' logo appear during startup. A lot of good games (i.e Kerbal Space Program, City Skylines, Cuphead) use Unity, you just don't really see Unity being plastered on it because they actually bought the premium variant.

Mostly because it gets associated with the stuffty games that get made using the free version of Unity, which forces it to have the 'Unity' logo appear during startup. A lot of good games (i.e Kerbal Space Program, City Skylines, Cuphead) use Unity, you just don't really see Unity being plastered on it because they actually bought the premium variant.
Escape From Tarkov is made in Unity also.

Unity is an incredibly difficult engine to work in if you don't know what you're doing.  That is to say, it's not beginner-friendly.  Unreal, however, is much easier for beginner designers to use.