Author Topic: More in-depth Mortar weapon  (Read 2133 times)

So we have a couple mortar weapons already but i would like to see a mortar that has features that require the player to actually use the weapon like a traditional mortar. One big flaw in our current mortar weapons is that they are all direct fire weapons meaning you have to be in line of sight of the object to actually target it. Most traditional mortars are in-direct fire weapons, meaning; using range calculations you can accurately place rounds in an area that you do not have LOS of.

So for a new mortar, it could be constructed with these features

1.In-direct firing capabilities, possibly using something like Strato's range finder for the M1 Abrams to calculate projectile paths

2.Deploy feature. Something similar to 40K's mortar but it should actually take some time. Maybe have an animation play of the character physically setting up the mortar, give the client a message "Deploying Mortar...", have it last maybe 6-10 or so seconds before it is ready to operate. This should prevent players from using it as a hand cannon.

3.Round loading, and finite ammo. Similar to how Gcat's howitzer works making for either an efficient 2-3 man mortar team, or a less efficient one man mortar. As for the ammo, instead of just carrying like one shell, you could have ammo bundles of like 5 or 10 that can be carried as items and load into the mortar similar to how shells are loaded into the howitzer

4. Ammo Types. Just like the Gcat howitzer, we could have HE, Smoke, heck maybe even airburst, that would be coolio

5. Not as important as 1 through 4 but some immersive features would be cool, such as sounds for Rounds hitting close, near and far, as well as a sound for incoming rounds

Anyways i feel like this would be hella cool and might spark some fun teamplay on TDM and RP servers.

If anyone decides to get serious with this i can help out by providing sounds and particle effects.

i didn't know Gcat had a howitzer

I am pretty sure you're on about Heedicalking's mortar

i didn't know Gcat had a howitzer
Yep, check it out its about half way down the page in this post https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=107991.0

I am pretty sure you're on about Heedicalking's mortar
can you link me id like to see it.

How would this prevent it from being too clunky to use?
It makes me think of a game of battleship, but most of the time you're actually shooting off the map

it is a private mod but when Heed hosts his vietnam tdm wip u can ask him to show it

i was thinking maybe have it work like in battlefield 1 where you get a higher vantage point view and can select target locations in front of you

unfortunately too busy to make it happen though

How would this prevent it from being too clunky to use?
What i meant in that statement was that it would prevent players from using it like the current mortar (cant remember who makes it) where they could just equipt it and spam it like a rocket launcher.

It makes me think of a game of battleship, but most of the time you're actually shooting off the ma
If you use the mortar how it should be used there's no reason to be that ineffective with it, it will take some practice to get used to, but hey, there's plenty of addons here that require some practice to be good with

i was thinking maybe have it work like in battlefield 1 where you get a higher vantage point view and can select target locations in front of you
I was thinking to have it more like how Project Reality or Squad's mortars operate, thus emphasizing the use of a spotter

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:41:29 PM by Ctrooper »