Author Topic: Need a little help in Unity3D  (Read 898 times)

I'm making a game in unity, and i'm having a little trouble.

I basically want to make a player that functions just like the Blockland player (but with better collision), but i can't find any good fp player controller tutorials for modern unity, especially none that explain some stuff i want to know. I realize that some of this stuff may or may not be very complicated but Some of the key features i'm looking for are:
  • Ability to switch from 1st to 3rd person freely
  • Inability to see the player model in first person while still being able to see it's shadow
  • Tight controls, unlike the example player prefabs that have a long 1/2 second delay between
    letting go of the walk key and actually not actively walking forward anymore.
  • Proper collision that will automatically walk up "stairs" that are up to 1 unit taller then the current ground.
And so on like that, I would love to be able to IM someone who knows this stuff and can help me figure this out live, but if anyone can find a tutorial that's still relevant that covers all this and possibly more, First person i think of is [ASF]Ghost because this is exactly what he seems to have already done, as well as solved a rendering problem i'm having, but he's on vacation.

There are a lot of smart SOBs here, so i figured since i'm trying to make a player that behaves a lot like the Blockland player, someone here would be able to help me.

I'm not sure how Unity works but for the walking up stairs thing, I fixed that problem a long time ago in Ultimate3D by setting a "tolerance" of obstacle height. IE, when bumping into something, check how high it is and how big the top surface is and its clearence. If the player model fits above said obstacle in height, add the height of the obstacle to the Y value of the player position. Otherwise, do nothing and the player will bump into it.

I see, and that proves a point i forgot to make in the OP that you don't need to know C# or specifically Unity to understand all the logical patterns it would take to do this, you could explain, just like that, exactly how to make the perfect character, without knowing a lick of Unity or C#.

you need to program this.
the collision thing is solvable with navmeshes, other than that: get to coding.

you need to program this.
the collision thing is solvable with navmeshes, other than that: get to coding.
A lot of the problems is i'm unsure how to code / integrate these features, (in a stable/expandable/fluid way) given enough time i can figure it out myself but if i can get a functioning example of all these things in a working controller, it would save me a lot of time slowly figuring things out from trial and error.

Read docs. I assume Unity, given its popularity, has useful documentation of its code.

Player controllers should automatically have the stairs thing built in IIRC. Isn't there a "step height" box or something in the component?

are you making another blockland inspired project

are you making another blockland inspired project
No.

ok, yes, you caught me.
When i decided to start it i had no idea anyone else was doing it, I've already been thinking about it for years but only recently did i decide to actually start doing it. I had no loving clue it was this huge freaking fad all of the sudden. Though i will say all the others working on theirs is a great source of inspiration.

I just didn't want to say anything publicly because i don't wanna get peoples hopes up incase it flops, which idk how how or why that would happen but still, also i don't wanna look like i'm just doing what everyone else is doing because everyone else is doing it because i'm not, i've literally been wanting to do this for years, I even remember modeling some stuff in blender i think when i was just on the old laptop. So i wasn't going to make a thread or anything, but now that the secret's out i'm open to it if enough people are interested.

Also its not that far along yet. I'm the kind of person who NEEDS to finish A before he can move on to B, so i tend to work on one thing making it perfect for an extended amount of time. But i do have 3 shots of ingame footage from the 3 key points of production sofar: Got everything Ingame looking snazzy; Got the brickgun working in its most basic form; Got a fully functional GhostBrick and basic brick coloration. again if anyones interested in my remake your free to say something and i'll prolly make a post about it.

Read docs. I assume Unity, given its popularity, has useful documentation of its code.
I've looked everywhere, searched unity's manual, searched unity's answer site, searched the Brackeys forums, I think i'll just going to figure the player stuff out myself, I've already solved the second half of my problems, although it's kinda buggy and I assume done noobishly, it's more or less solved, at least in the short term.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:29:54 PM by Yin Yang »