These false reviews need to stop.

Author Topic: These false reviews need to stop.  (Read 14951 times)

you might imagine that something is wrong with blockland if people feel it's necessary to put in the effort to make an entirely new game to replace it

Or maybe they just want to put their skills to the test and make a blockland inspired project?

How many games out there that have been made that have been inspired by games of the past? Are they trying to replace those games?

Besides blockland is like 10 years old lol. There is nothing new that needs to be done besides to get an entirely new different engine. Everything has been pretty much maxed out with this current engine.

Not many game developers choose to keep servers running for after 10 years. Sometimes not even a year.

We've been over the engine changing thing many times. Badspot's not interested and he has no incentive to do it.

A new game would have to be fundamentally made from the ground up, and it's obvious to me that Badspot does not want to make another lego building game. You see how much he's been pissed off by the problems plaguing the game's community already. Why would he want to make a new game just to repeat that all over again?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:40:57 AM by Planr »

If blockland were to get a new engine the game would literally have to be rewritten from scratch it would just be easier making a different loving game.

Even then once blockland gets updated to a new engine there will be the generic cry babies upset their mods no longer work thanks to the engine change and then downvoting the game on steam.

Not to mention Blockland has a huge loving playerbase of users with absolutely god awful specs that can't even run shaders on minimum. They probably wouldn't even be able to play Blockland on an unreal engine build.

Literally there was a review on steam crying they want their maps back because "no one users shaders because their computers can't run it" so these people are demanding blockland degrades itself in quality anyways.

EDIT: forgive me for this
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:56:07 AM by FelipeO_O_ »

its not about wants. it doesnt make sense to keep updating blockland with content when it wont equate to sales. it would be a huge waste of time.

ONLY a blockland 2 by badspot would make sense. but then only if he thought he could make the same sales again as he did with bl1. if not, then he should move onto other projects.

Blockland is a 1 time payment.

To update the engine and rewrite the entire game from scratch isn't going to be cheap.

So badspot is going to spend all this money to rewrite the game for people who already own his game. All for maybe a marginal increase in sales on steam but as a result also once agan dividing the community whom made it obviously clear they don't like change?

If blockland were like a subscription or F2P service with microtransactions I could see him updating the engine but it doesn't make sense financially to update the engine for people who already paid for the full game.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:32:28 PM by King Tøny »

ONLY a blockland 2 by badspot would make sense.

This is probably the only viable option.

With a slight discount if you already own Blockland 1.

DLC is probably the only smart route for this old game but it doesn't really make any sense.

I don't know how you can charge people for weapons, prints, etc when you can basically mod all that stuff yourself for free.

Or maybe they just want to put their skills to the test and make a blockland inspired project?

How many games out there that have been made that have been inspired by games of the past? Are they trying to replace those games?

Besides blockland is like 10 years old lol. There is nothing new that needs to be done besides to get an entirely new different engine. Everything has been pretty much maxed out with this current engine.
I suppose. But by merit of making an entirely new game, they're able to put it on an entirely different, newer engine with better/more capabilities. That's presumably the entire point of the projects: to make a better game than Blockland.

Also to be totally honest I'm pretty sure anyone here would be willing to pay $20 if not more for a well-made Blockland 2, especially if saves from the original can be ported easily.

Also to be totally honest I'm pretty sure anyone here would be willing to pay $20 if not more for a well-made Blockland 2,

So like, 75 people?

The market isn't really that high especially now post-minecraft where people will dismiss any lego based building game as a "minecraft clone"

Even blockland is called a minecraft clone and it came out before minecraft.

This "Minecraft-clone" mentality kills a lot of interest in potential buyers and with good reason because all these stuffty ass "minecraft-clones" oversaturated the lego based building game market with their loving trash. Now people think twice before buying a non-minecraft game.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:18:42 PM by King Tøny »

If Badspot DID go through with updating the engine, it shouldn't be a separate entity, how many sandbox games even get a full on sequel?

He'd be putting in the same amount of work if not somewhat less if he were to update his current game with a new engine than to make a new game altogether because of the additional work it takes to getting it to be sold digitally and getting it on Steam

And a "well-made" sequel can't even exist without any sort of mass-fundraising, which, in that case, we'd just be better off fundraising the engine update/overhaul

So like, 75 people?
This is also another issue, many people said that they would pay money to upgrade the game, but it still wouldn't be enough to get Badspot going, and who knows what kind of incentive it would even take to do that...

And badspot is only 1 man. I don't know much about Kompressor but I'm sure his involvement is either freelance or favors.

Badspot doesn't have the time to update this game 24/7 so the demands for updates all the time is getting ridiculous.

I don't think people here actually think about the development time that gets put into this.

Kickstarter is probably the only sensible option right now.

Free money and you get to know for sure how much of a market there would be.

The only thing I miss even a little is skiing on the slopes, but that's basically a separate game from Blockland - there's no interaction with bricks or building at all.
Skiing on the slopes was is basically the only thing I miss also, although it was pretty fun using a jeep to climb the mountains too. I actually quit playing Blockland for a while until the dayCycle update. Once I learned the dayCycle had been implemented I didn't care about the maps, it was time to re-work on my RPG! Before v21, I had to use the buggy day cycle mod which didn't work with terrain textures and had some other issues with timing, etc.

Fun Fact: before v21, 90% of my saves were on slate maps anyways