These false reviews need to stop.

Author Topic: These false reviews need to stop.  (Read 14947 times)

It only takes 1 pinned topic to say this.
Of course, but guess what? People don't think. Some people may even 'miss' the topic and still post anyway. To get someone's attention you have to write it all over to be sure they see it.

Of course, but guess what? People don't think. Some people may even 'miss' the topic and still post anyway. To get someone's attention you have to write it all over to be sure they see it.

Okay so let them think what they want.

It's more annoying to have a full page of pinned topics.

Okay so let them think what they want.

It's more annoying to have a full page of pinned topics.
I do agree on half of this - ignoring the problem only makes it a bigger problem

10 year olds were in kindergarten when maps were removed.  We're not dealing with kids here, we're dealing with man children.  Literal adult baby special interestists.  

i don't play blockland with any frequency, so this is not spiteful or whatever, but out of pure curiosity;

1. did you really think axing maps for sparingly used shaders made the game better?
2. was that game change motivated by the desire for a pretty-looking steam trailer to make one final sale boost?

it always baffled me because i enjoyed the extensive player made maps more than any enjoyment i ever got from shaders
could always be an outlier in that way of thinking misguided by nostalgia, but i never fully bought into the sales pitch for that big game change

I'd agree that the full page steam forums spam isn't a great way to go about it. However this is coming from the person with this set for the facebook page so what do I know.

(Sometimes they keep replying.)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:03:35 AM by tails »

Badspot

• Administrator
1. did you really think axing maps for sparingly used shaders made the game better?

At the time I was mainly concerned with spending the rest of my life rewriting 12 year old terrain and interior code that practically no one used and made the game look like stuff.  In retrospect, it improved the game drastically.  If we still had maps we'd never have had terrain bricks, or speedkart or any large scale good looking build - we'd just be wandering around rejected tribes 2 maps doing nothing forever.  The only thing I miss even a little is skiing on the slopes, but that's basically a separate game from Blockland - there's no interaction with bricks or building at all.

2. was that game change motivated by the desire for a pretty-looking steam trailer to make one final sale boost?

The shader/interior trade off happened over a year before Blockland launched on steam.  I'm pretty sure it was in development before greenlight even existed.  But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your fantasy of me as some kind of video game ruining uber-jew. 

Yeah I noticed like no one build, they just sat around exploring empty interiors/terrain maps.

With terrain bricks I've been able to make my own "interior" maps like the toy store.

-

I see nothing wrong with these decisions whatsoever, Badspot is 100% correct. There was less player and block interaction and more player map interaction. Which was limiting and not at all "Blockland".

Yeah I noticed like no one build, they just sat around exploring empty interiors/terrain maps.

With terrain bricks I've been able to make my own "interior" maps like the toy store.
this is exactly why i dont get why people miss shaders. at least people try to build stuff nowadays instead of just acting cool by wasting time getting people to follow you into the fridge or whatever

To me modeling maps is laziness and lack of creativity

At the time I was mainly concerned with spending the rest of my life rewriting 12 year old terrain and interior code that practically no one used and made the game look like stuff.  In retrospect, it improved the game drastically.  If we still had maps we'd never have had terrain bricks, or speedkart or any large scale good looking build - we'd just be wandering around rejected tribes 2 maps doing nothing forever.  The only thing I miss even a little is skiing on the slopes, but that's basically a separate game from Blockland - there's no interaction with bricks or building at all.
To some extent, I think that the whole 'building culture' of the game took a hit after the maps were gone because it became a lot more difficult to make a cohesive looking map. Putting some military bases and outposts on The Slopes made for a reasonably convincing arctic dogfight game, but to do the same thing now would require dozens of hours of effort to just build the geography. Many players adapted by learning how to build terrain, which was great, but I think the overall amount of player building decreased since it's much harder to make something that doesn't look like stuff on Slate.

This obviously wasn't a direct consequence of the update, but the loss of RTB didn't help either. We lost the biggest in-game network for sharing content, so people were less interested in making addons because there wasn't such an easy place to share them. Blockland Glass helped a little, but never really gained the same popularity or usefulness.

I still think what would have been great after getting rid of maps would have been to add something like a 'props panel' similar to what you have on Garry's Mod. Players upload their sofas, undecorated shacks, lamps, barrels, gadgets, etc, to a cloud where they can name it and have their in-game name and BLID show up as credit. You can pull up a menu with all the uploaded props in-game, and then load them in duplicator style and use them on-the-fly in your builds. Then, every time a new unique player uses their prop, it gives them a little popularity point that recognizes their effort and encourages future work. Kind of like Steam Workshop but entirely within the game.

i open up v0002 sometimes to ski on the slopes
or i can just open up v20 whenever i feel like going to the hiding places in the kitchen/bedroom

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your fantasy of me as some kind of video game ruining uber-jew.  
even with my disclaimers that i'm just curious as to your thought process, you still took my questions as a personal attack. to be expected i guess, given my phrasing.  not meant to be accusatory, just my hunches.  but ill take your word for it.

it didn't ruin blockland; i kept playing.  i only thought it was somewhat less fun after the changes.

or i can just open up v20 whenever i feel like going to the hiding places in the kitchen/bedroom
saaaaame

i really miss exploring maps for secrets lol, took me ages to find the secret room in bl_construct

K so people are too lazy to make their own terrain/interior. This has been established.

Badspot could just include a stuffload of terrain/interior saves made from modter by the community.

so lazy players can just load those builds up and edit them whenever they feel like it.

It's the equivalent of having terrains/interiors of v21.