Are we able to pre-bake shadows or something?

Author Topic: Are we able to pre-bake shadows or something?  (Read 1049 times)

I know I had this discussion before but is there seriously nothing we can do about the shadows?

Anyone wanting shadows on is at a severe disadvantage 100% of the time. It makes using shadows absolutely worthless as it will negatively affect your multiplayer experience because people are running around with no shadows and are able to see with little to no issue.

Can we have shadows pre-loaded?

Is there a way to detect if players can't run shadows?

Or at least be able to detect darkness and shade accordingly?

Shadows off also turns off fog.

Kid with expensive computer that can run shadows.

Kid using his grandmother's email checker.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:45:46 PM by King Tøny »

Second verse, Same as the first.
The replies you got before will be the same replies you get now.

Second verse, Same as the first.
The replies you got before will be the same replies you get now.

It's possible someone may have figured it out by then

nobody can "figure this out" without modifying the engine. this is just how the game's rendering engine runs.

baking shadows is not possible, and it wouldnt fix most of the issues in your two image comparsions either. baking shadows only bake them into the build/terrain, not onto players, so imagine if your dark room pic had the player looking the way it does in the second image.

and no, its not possible for badspot to allow us to modify the engine without straight up giving away the engine source code, let alone take any code people write and making it default. that's just too prone to backdoor risk.

there is no way to find out what kind of shadows a player is running; even if he built in some default thing to check if its minimum/low/etc, the server cant really trust the client to send it true information as someone would probably figure out a way to spoof whatever data is being sent.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:36:10 AM by Conan »

The only viable solution to people using the old rendering system to cheese dark maps would be to completely remove that rendering system from the game, which Badspot said he won't do.

What about just making the entire map dark client sided when they go inside a cave or whatever?

What about just making the entire map dark client sided when they go inside a cave or whatever?
You already showcased why that won't work. Without shaders everything glows in the dark.

You already showcased why that won't work. Without shaders everything glows in the dark.

I have textures that prevent studs from glowing.

I have textures that prevent studs from glowing.
Then by all means, use Zeblote's environment zones and tediously make all the dark areas have a custom environment.