Tips for modeling vehicles?

Author Topic: Tips for modeling vehicles?  (Read 2467 times)

I ask advice of those who excel in the modeling of vehicles for Blockland. I would like to try my hand at modeling my first vehicle but it requires me to stray away from my usual workflow and my attempts have been really ugly or just not working how I'd like, especially for relatively "complicated" vehicles (with lots of curves and stuff). I do have plenty of reference images for front, back, side, top/bottom, and perspective views of the vehicle so no worries on that. I've seen some videos of people using vehicle "blueprints" that are 2d illustrations of the vehicle but I haven't had much luck with those either. Any tips or advice or is this just way more tedious than what I think it is? :P

first of all
make a volvo (brick) to get used to it

• Blue prints and 3d models imported into your software will help a LOT (You make your version of that car over the 3d model or blueprint)
  • Like sideswipe said, start with the basic vehicles, and work more towards the complex cars.
  • Try to avoid using excessive counts of vertices like I have sometimes, simplify if you can.

Some general advice on making a vehicle model:

There are two approaches to make a model:

Whichever approach you choose, keep a few things in mind:
  • Keep the flow of your mesh smooth and organised. That helps avoiding weird smoothing;
  • Don't skimp on research. Before or while you are working on a car, don't be too lazy to look up pictures. They really do help with figuring out harder stuff;
  • Adjust the model for the Blockhead. People only sit upright in trucks these days. In most cars you sit in a somewhat stretched out position. Blockheads sit upright, so you'll have to either raise the roof, or lower the floor, or do both at the same time.

Making the first vehicle will be the hardest, until you figure out a good workflow.

Thanks for all the advice! Will definitely make sure to keep that in mind while modeling, which will probably start tomorrow.
I've seen some people make like the hood first, shape it out of a plane, then kind of work from there with the front and such. Haven't tried working from a cube tho... Would it be a good idea to make "panels" of the car (shaping them from the cube idea) and then put it all together? :P

I don't recommend that, really. It can result in a really disjointed look

I start off with a giant rectangle and sculpt from there

Would it be a good idea to make "panels" of the car (shaping them from the cube idea) and then put it all together? :P
no. the opposite.

make the general shape of the car, make sure your mount point is comfortable with a good view of what you want to see out of it (driving position compared to dashboard, hood, window), then start cutting out details.

and it is, generally speaking, a very tedious process. you'll need to know how to make mistakes. (don't defeat yourself. you will do better the more you practice. you might have to make a few vehicles you're not happy with. even vehicles I made earlier this year I'm no longer happy with.)

knowing controls will help: https://i.imgur.com/E42hJ7I.jpg
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:16:02 PM by Teneksi »