Author Topic: Let's Design A Survival Horror Game [Jurassic Park-Style]  (Read 582 times)

If there's any two things I really loving love, it's Jurassic Park and the idea of Chaos Theory + Cascade Failure. I loving love systems that methodically break down due to some kind of influencing event, and Jurassic Park is a great example of how a number of assumptions and poor design/execution decisions combined to form a fragile accident waiting to happen.

I can't guarantee anything real out of it, but let's design the world of one of these stories, for if it was to be a survival horror game. Assume this is a multiplayer game in which there's some tourists, some staff, and one "traitor" who will instigate the fall of the park. This park could be about anything (let's avoid dinosaurs though); the goal for the staff and tourists is to survive the events, while the traitor must achieve something and screw over everybody else in the process.

First, we need a theme, location and/or what our tourists have come to see. Afterwards, we'll think about what kind of failures in the system the traitor will initiate, and then we can create the physical world and what elements the players have access to (from weapons to food to transportation and more). We could be all in one big facility, a massive island or even a space station.

Any ideas?