How to deal with classes?

Use classes
15 (40.5%)
Don't use classes, allow player to choose a set of weapons
17 (45.9%)
Other (please specify)
5 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: new boss battles server brainstorming/(dev?) thread  (Read 6513 times)

would result in turtling unless the VIP was forced to do something

would result in turtling unless the VIP was forced to do something
This idea actually came from another game I played. The bosses were actually just regular players with no buffs whatsoever. And it was that vulnerability that made turtling less viable. Not only that, but the rounds were relatively short. So any poking they took would mean they would potentially lose to timeouts. Of course, in Blockland's case, ranged weaponry is more favorable so you can't just have them be as weak as a normal player otherwise they're just going to die really fast. But they don't need to be a giga sponge like in their current state.
Plus since players are respawning, they're not so worried about their own survival. They can endlessly throw themselves at the enemy's boss, or they can endlessly protect their own. Some classes may be better at doing one than the other.
The bosses are forced to survive. And when other people don't have something to lose, you can sure as hell count on constant threats.

Boss wars sounds pretty damn cool

I have an idea for a new boss battles server.

Customizable loadouts similar to Team Fortress 2!

There isnt any more classes. Instead you get to choose weapons from three slots and an accessory slot. Note that the accessory slot can give more slots. The three slots can hold a Primary, Secondary and Tetriary weapon. Each goes down in strength, with tetriary being mostly decent melee weapons or low-level pistols. The accessory slot can have can hold (obviously) an accessory, which gives a buff such as increased movement speed, double jump or turning your tetriary slot to a second secondary slot. There are set bonuses for if you use certain weapons and maybe some accessories together. Also, an idea i have is Rare Weapons, which are unlocked by doing the last hit on a boss or doing the most damage. Note that there is a cooldown between each weapon drop. However, said rare weapons are very powerful and they also have the ability to be an accessory and be in sets. Maybe also make it so that weapons have a special attribute to them so there is a reward for having multiple of a certain weapon?

Example of a loadout:

Primary: Missile Launcher
Secondary: Boots of increased knockback.
Tetiary: The Meta Shovel (+500% Damage when hitting boss while rocket jumping)

Accessory: No Self Damage (RARE)
Set Bonus: WHEEEE- (+100% Knockback on yourself and enemies.)

hm, maybe we really can go down a route where we just drop the whole idea of classes and then have manually selectable tiers of weapons. would be interesting to see.
also, gonna throw up a dev server in a couple moments. it will be passworded, the pass being asqw24
edit: is up
edit2: gonna brb
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:38:34 PM by Mr Queeba »

Maybe program skills on a class basis that do different things?
If using a melee boss, give them compensation abilities to deal with fast moving enemies.
Design maps real good.

I guess that's what I have to suggest

An idea for custom classes: when you spawn you start with a number of class points, weapons and playertypes use those class points (they all use a different amount of points)

This would absolutely help with balancing

New poll regarding the class system

I suggest that players are able to choose their own weapons and select a powerup (example: extra speed)

im really wondering tho, what are good / well-balanced packs of weapons that we can use? looking to avoid redundancy because i dont want 1000 things named "flamethrower"

Pre-determined classes are much easier to work with than most variations of choosing weapons/"skills", for balance and gameplay in general. For normals, it makes more sense to have classes that fill certain roles, like a class that heals (healer) and a class that sets traps (detonator), because when you design a class for a certain role, be it fortifying an area for defense (like scientist) or keeping bosses under pressure with overwhelming firepower (overweight), a team can be more flexible with strategy on the fly instead of having to plan out beforehand what weaponsets are needed to counter a boss thanks to consistency amongst classes. As for the boss, he should be able to look at a player and immediately be able to tell what class it is and how to deal with it based on its speed, currently held weapon, etc. He can look at an overweight and say to himself, "Okay, I know that class has immense firepower but also moves slowly and has overheat," and plan how to deal with it mid-fight. When he looks at a player with custom weapons, he has no clue what to expect, "Is that a gun in your pocket, or a loving rocket launcher?" he says to himself as someone who bought extra speed speeds by at mach 5. All in all, custom weapon sets and skills or whatever the hell are just lazy and never work as well as a class-system.

Pre-determined classes are much easier to work with than most variations of choosing weapons/"skills", for balance and gameplay in general. For normals, it makes more sense to have classes that fill certain roles, like a class that heals (healer) and a class that sets traps (detonator), because when you design a class for a certain role, be it fortifying an area for defense (like scientist) or keeping bosses under pressure with overwhelming firepower (overweight), a team can be more flexible with strategy on the fly instead of having to plan out beforehand what weaponsets are needed to counter a boss thanks to consistency amongst classes. As for the boss, he should be able to look at a player and immediately be able to tell what class it is and how to deal with it based on its speed, currently held weapon, etc. He can look at an overweight and say to himself, "Okay, I know that class has immense firepower but also moves slowly and has overheat," and plan how to deal with it mid-fight. When he looks at a player with custom weapons, he has no clue what to expect, "Is that a gun in your pocket, or a loving rocket launcher?" he says to himself as someone who bought extra speed speeds by at mach 5. All in all, custom weapon sets and skills or whatever the hell are just lazy and never work as well as a class-system.
makes sense. what classes should we have tho?

A better idea is have preset classes that use the class point system, but also allow players to create their own class - but when they make their own class it must fit into the same field of weapons - such as medics should not have guns