How to deal with classes?

Use classes
15 (40.5%)
Don't use classes, allow player to choose a set of weapons
17 (45.9%)
Other (please specify)
5 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: new boss battles server brainstorming/(dev?) thread  (Read 6474 times)

so, now that pecon's boss battles is gone, how are we gonna continue forward with potentially developing a new boss-battles type of server? i made this thread so we can discuss how we could develop a new one and all that, and just throw some ideas around and see what the community can think of for adding. please note that there's a reason this isn't called "boss battles 2" - i think it's pretty obvious why.
so yea, let's /discuss.
remember:
If people took more time into their servers (not listing who, not everyone either) we would have more quality honestly. People are just rushing the gamemode to gain players, or just want to get it done *cough* cityrpg *cough*.
More time and effort results in better quality servers!
edit: basic flowchart i drew up

you dont have to strictly adhere to this, just something to help guide development
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:18:22 AM by Mr Queeba »

I think Boss Battles has pushed itself to its limit, and we should leave it alone for a while.

I have all the tools to create boss health (using the custom hp mod)
Balacing is a huge idea to play with. Bosses should have something new, like my idea were boss phases.

Not a bad idea to make a boss battles server if it is done correctly and no where near a copy of Pecon's.

I think Boss Battles has pushed itself to its limit, and we should leave it alone for a while.

i understand what you're saying. the point isnt to rush out a server in 1 day and say "oh look hey heres a new boss battles!!!1!", rather it's to start discussing to see how we're going to continue forward with potentially making a new one.
I have all the tools to create boss health (using the custom hp mod)
Balacing is a huge idea to play with. Bosses should have something new, like my idea were boss phases.

Not a bad idea to make a boss battles server if it is done correctly and no where near a copy of Pecon's.
yea, balancing is a thing that we can play with a bit, as it will take some tinkering to get it down right.
and yea, the idea is to try and be different from pecons, not copy it and just label the new server as the "sequel" to pecon's. a main goal of this discussion is to figure out ways in that we can be different.

I agree with this. I would rather see a proper successor to the gamemode that has gone through careful polish and creative effort than a simple rebuild of the code using old maps.

Before the server went down, it had lost a significant amount of its playerbase due to a simple lack of interest. Any proper successor will need to provide a fresh take on the server's setup if it hopes to last for more than a few weeks.

If people took more time into their servers (not listing who, not everyone either) we would have more quality honestly. People are just rushing the gamemode to gain players, or just want to get it done *cough* cityrpg *cough*.

this is a pretty important philosophy to go by. there's been several attempts at cloning boss battles in the past, problem is most attempts were of rather poor quality. if we can actually put effort into making a new server, we may actually get something quality done.
actually, im putting this in the op because i feel this is important to go by

quick little bump, really wanna see some ideas thrown out for this. new maps, new weapons, new classes, whatever.

I can't come up with anything that isn't just an addition to the old formula.

Maybe an entirely new gamemode in the same style?
(my ideas tend to be terrible)

..........dio brando boss

I do have an idea for a map

How about a Zero-gravity map but with some sort of thruster system for the players and boss to move around?
I don't know about what the actual map build would be, but a zero-grav map would be interestig

..........dio brando boss
that would actually be super cool

what are some weapons that we can use that'd work well? i'm thinking of the old school weapon pack and quake type weps, but what do you guys think?

[3:14 AM] nul: In all seriousness though, I did have a gamemode idea relating to Boss Battles, before I even knew it was shutting down. I'm just too unmotivated to do anything about it.
[3:16 AM] nul: Basically the general idea was:
-completely reimagine the idea of "Players need to be able to stay alive but actually so does the boss so we keep giving them things to counteract dying but give the boss even more kill things" into "let the players die. because they're going to respawn, making the entire mode less bullet sponge of death"
-because what if... two teams. each team has their own boss. players respawn, bosses don't. boss dies, other team wins
-yeah that's about all i got so far