Author Topic: Brick Mouseover Text?  (Read 1648 times)

I've heard this is possible with items but i'm not sure for bricks. the idea would be an event for center printing text when a player's crosshair is over a brick.

It depends on how it is built...
You could make a continuous raycast. Though I don't think that would be good for performance.
And having a bunch of bricks test for a raycast isn't good either. Especially if it checks on the update.

looks like it's been made actually, and it's done as you described. I wonder if it tanks performance.

looks like it's been made actually, and it's done as you described. I wonder if it tanks performance.
It probably launches a event. (A coding event, not a visual blockland one.)
Ill have to see the code.
Neat though, very neat.
EDIT: It does a continuous loop. I dont think its bad for performance though.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:18:47 AM by soldier101@ »

It shouldn't.
it is bad for performance, the more players on the server the more raycast spam is required to make it work, iirc it doesnt even schedule out the raycasts so with a lot of players and a bad server it could lagspike continuously

I've used Gaze and I've never seen any real performance issues.

it is bad for performance, the more players on the server the more raycast spam is required to make it work, iirc it doesnt even schedule out the raycasts so with a lot of players and a bad server it could lagspike continuously
The amount of raycasts would be a negligible amount under most circumstances. If it indeed doesn't schedule them, then yes could see it as a problem, but

we used it for halloweenfest 2015 and it had a very notable impact on the server since it was constantly running raycasts for 30+ players, smaller than that would be okay in most scenarios i guess, unless the server has a bunch of other constantly running functions as well.

anyways gaze fulfills the request here so its kindof a moot point. if there ends up being a problem with it performance-wise you can probably get someone to fix it pretty easily.

we used it for halloweenfest 2015 and it had a very notable impact on the server since it was constantly running raycasts for 30+ players, smaller than that would be okay in most scenarios i guess, unless the server has a bunch of other constantly running functions as well.

Xalos's mod fires 100 raycasts for every player every second for some reason. Awful. I can see it having a small performance hit for larger servers.