good video game soundtracks

Author Topic: good video game soundtracks  (Read 8112 times)

what is your opinion on the halo 5 soundtrack
For me personally, Halo 4 was only passable because of the remixes on the Limited/Deluxe Edition soundtrack which are just good tracks in general. Halo 5 just goes over my head as "Eh."

It's very hard to describe so I'm sorry if I'm don't do a great job.

The actual orchestra stuff for Halo 4 and 5 isn't offensive, but it just feels...too sweeping? It's got that quality of a lot of generic soundtracks where the drums don't feel as powerful, where they use common violin chords and there isn't clear cut themes repeated through the soundtrack, just one kind of basic atmosphere that gets played over and over again with some minor variation.

One thing that Marty and Michael did was a lot of experimentation. Halo 2's soundtrack is probably my favourite, because it uses such a wide array of different instruments and themes, yet they managed to blend them so well. Compare to Halo 5, and while there's some good tracks here and there, I couldn't tell you any one piece stands out from the others. There's nothing I'd replay 90 times over and over because I can get the same effect on any other song in the soundtrack.

I think the best way to describe it is by mood; if you can think of a mood, than any Marty/Michael soundtrack will have a song that covers it, but the current soundtracks only really encompass two or three moods at the most (battle themes and kind of sadness or introspective, if you know what I mean). All of the soundtracks have quality, but the original soundtracks also have the variety the future games lack.

Sonic Mania's soundtrack is pretty good.

Also, Master of Orion 1, 2 and Conquer The Stars have good soundtracks. I dont even think the third game has music.

However, there is a problem with the first game. You wont ever find a soundtrack for it for two reasons.

1) The game uses a really weird way of compressing its music in that the way it compresses its music... Is the same way as its graphics. Oh boy.

2) The person who made the music has lost it. Good job there. They actually wanted to include it in the deluxe edition of Conquer the Stars but they lost the music.

However, 2 and Conquer the Stars have their music about everywhere now so we are okay with that.

furi.

if you like HM2 soundtracks, furi's sweet stuff. it's got carpenter brut.

example to get you started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QpUGCXwOks
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:37:36 PM by Køtt »

Halo 2's soundtrack is probably my favourite,

the 4 songs by incubus on the soundtrack was the best thing they ever done, very prog

hotline miami 1 and 2
sega gt 2002
cuphead
the talos principle
portal
half life 1 and 2
skyrim, obviously
project gotham racing 1, 2, 3, and 4
final fantasy III
and yes, you saw this coming

JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

oh this is easy
every silent hill games soundtrack
minus all the otherworldly songs
like "Afraid of the dark"

I posted a topic similar to this like ages ago and I'll throw in the same thing I shilled then as I did now

might not be to anyone's taste here but I still think they're high quality

1) Bayonetta

the boss music. all of them. (3 separate links) it's eargasmic. please forgive me for using that term but I can think of no word closer. It's funny considering I haven't played bayonetta at all but that doesn't change the fact its soundtrack is amazing.

2) Evil Dead: Fistful of Boomstick

I dont care if you dont like evil dead or you've never heard of the game or the fact the game is old as balls or it's mediocre

the soundtrack was really well done.

Just a sample, the Colonial Dearborn level's combat music which was perfectly suspenseful and fit the theme of the level incredibly well, the first boss fight of the game which while the song seems short it's actually looped flawlessly ingame to great effect, and the final boss theme which while closely resembling the other boss themes feels a lot more doom-and-gloom but in a good way considering its the final boss. I might not have played the game much (I watched my dad play when I was a kid and it still scared me) but the soundtrack has really stuck with me.

those were the two most noteworthy ones I wanted to touch on but I'm also really fond of Halo 3: ODST's soundtrack, Persona 3 and 4, all the modern Fire Emblem games (3 separate links), and just for good measure I'll say Bravely Default.

I could list a lot more but this is probably enough for the purposes of this thread.

most of the final fantasy games have good soundtracks
all of the armored core games have good soundtracks
Bastion
Risk Of Rain
Half Life 1/2/e1/e2
Lethal League for a little bit until it gets repetitive because each track is tied to an arena
KoTOR
Doom 1/2 and parts of 4 imo

100% Orange Juice has to be one of my favorite "anime games" of all time; both to play and to listen to. Rather than having an actual soundtrack the game gives it enormous cast individual music themes to play when any of them are winning. Thus, it has a very wide and contrasting soundtrack. One second you'll be listening to a glorious orchestral piece, and the next you may be hearing an intense trance track as the race to win grows faster. Or maybe a joke song will play, the joke characters get picked a lot in online. Personal favorites: Kai's Theme, Kyousuke's Theme, and Tomato & Mimyuu's Theme

fun fact: the vast majority of 100%OJ's soundtrack is actually royalty-free music. other games developed by Orange Juice, like Suguri and Sora, have music composed by DEKU. he also did the music for Neo Aquarium and Ace of Seafood.
examples:
Neo Aquarium - Snow Crab
Ace of Seafood - Ocean Theme (Fish)
Suguri - Green Bird (arrange)
Sora - Daedalus

how the forget did i miss this

damn i forgot about this

One soundtrack that I've gotten sort of recently is probably one of my favourites.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City

The first track you hear when starting a new game. Is probably the most beautiful introduction to a game I've ever seen. A pretty impressive game for being made in GameMaker to be honest.

metal gear rising objectively has the best soundtrack of any game