symphonic metal?

Author Topic: symphonic metal?  (Read 924 times)

I recall seeing a youtuber that does "symphonic metal" covers of videogame tracks and I recently discovered a band called stratovarius with similar ideas in some of their songs.

Stratovarius - Black Diamond, for example

anyone know any particular songs / bands that do symphonic metal or something similar? im interested now

thanks for the suggestions, i'll definitely check them out. leaving thread open for discussion but I'm busy so I probably wont look here often / at all
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:00:53 PM by SteveJenkins »

don't really listen to stratovarius but it sounds like plenty of other power metal bands out there. i'd say sonata arctica is a very close match, more specifically their 2003 winterheart's guild album since that's the only one i've listened to. there's the general big ones like nightwish (don't know how they are now) and epica, and other few like angra, symphony x, ancient bards, kamelot, theocracy, ayreon, maybe a bit of teramaze's her halo album, etc. if you don't mind harsh vocals, some cool bands to check out are stuff like hope for the dying, devin townsend's weird but good stuff like deconstruction, and ne obliviscaris from what i can name off the top of my head. xanthochroid might be harder to get into if you're not a fan of black metal harsh vocals similar to ihsahn but their stuff is beautifully put together and not all of the songs use the harsh vocals because the dude knows how to sing too.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:33:40 AM by Kobewarrior »

I'd listen to some of Randy Rhoads work, early Quiet Riot and Ozzy Osbourne. He was one of the pioneers of it, in my opinion.

imagine a symphony playing Master of Puppets that'd be awesome

Y'ain't seen stuff until you've seen symphonic metal opera

Mirror Mirror by Blind Guardian, Dark Wings of Steel, Rhapsody of Fire. Both are pretty good bands, and Rhapsody of Fire's songs all tell one continuous story which is pretty neat.

I'd listen to some of Randy Rhoads work, early Quiet Riot and Ozzy Osbourne. He was one of the pioneers of it, in my opinion.

He wasn't involved in Symphonic Metal. He was known for mixing in Neo-Classical stuff in with the music.

check out Kayo Dot, they are a more left-field metal group which uses lots of symphonic instruments in their music.