Author Topic: should i enroll in a $800 online c++ learning course  (Read 4008 times)

so like 2-3 months ago my mom made me take the act because i wanted to enter some c++ learning course thats hosted by some gifted kid group that i managed to get into because i could read in kindergarden that also required you to get at least a 22 in math to enter
so i somehow managed to get a 22 and now i can enter the course
however, it costs $800 for me to get into and if i do enter it my mom will want me to complete the whole thing (which i have a feeling i wont because i got really forgetin bored of khan academy java courses and gave up on them a few years back)
so im wondering if it will be a good idea for me to enter this said course
give me advice

No. You can learn C++ for free, and you'll have significantly more material. If you pay the $800, you're unlikely to be self-motivated enough to complete the class in the given time frame, and even if you do there's no guarantee that the class will cover anything close to career-related topics that will benefit you in the long term. Plus, there's no reason to learn C++ as your first language. Do yourself a favor and learn something easier, like Javascript or Python.

That was callous

I don't have anything constructive to say except 800$ is a pretty good sum of money
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:36:45 PM by Mardalf »

no, do not

I recently found a good site called sololearn for C++ and other languages if you want like javascript and python, sign up and teach yourself through that

there are so many free resources for this it'd be silly to pay, especially $800

Do yourself a favor and learn something easier, like Javascript or Python.

do this please and don't pay 800$ for a programming class

and afterwards, i would say after learning those two you can maybe then learn C++, but there's also C#, since that's just as good as C++.

if you're worried about being motivated for a programming course, don't take it
if you really want to learn how to program, you'll probably end up teaching yourself a lot more than the course will

khan academy java courses
that sounds pretty dull
if you want to actually learn java let me know

i'd love to learn about java honestly

if you ask, I teach people who want to learn

if you ask, I teach people who want to learn
It's your birthday?

do this please and don't pay 800$ for a programming class
*sweats as he pays 4 grand a year for a bachelors degree in comp sci*

but there's also C#, since that's just as good as C++.

What gave you that idea? C# compiles to .NET on windows, which is approximately as good as Java. On linux or mac your best bet is the Mono implementation which compiles through LLVM and has questionable efficiency as it is not a primary implementation of a language. C# is great if you want to write .NET apps, but not useful for nearly the same things as C++.

don't do it, there are plenty of resources online that'll teach you for free

It's your birthday?
currently, for the day

*sweats as he pays 4 grand a year for a bachelors degree in comp sci*
only $4k?  that seems a bit cheap
I see college degrees in CS more as a certification than actually teaching