[PSA] Font Exploit

Author Topic: [PSA] Font Exploit  (Read 7403 times)

When this happens you should experience large amounts of lag/extreme framerate drops. Do you remember any server this happened to you on?

this exploit has been known for years and unfortunately there is no way to stop it other than avoid servers that do this.

unfortunately its also not fixable since torque has some weird problems if you dont have a blank font file for any fonts the game tries to display to a client. Rotondo ran into this problem for his Forgettable Dungeon game and came to the same fix - generate/create a .gft file for every font used in the game just in case the client doesnt have that font installed, else the game will instantly crash.

When this happens you should experience large amounts of lag/extreme framerate drops. Do you remember any server this happened to you on?
Mr.LoL's server is the only laggy server I remember playing on recently, and I don't know if it was even up on the 2nd. I have a 1070 if that makes any difference.

the french must have done it

Mr.LoL's server is the only laggy server I remember playing on recently, and I don't know if it was even up on the 2nd. I have a 1070 if that makes any difference.
I've been on Mr. LoL's server pretty often the past few days and my base/client/ui/cache/ folder is mostly empty except for normal fonts.
The lag is more than likely from the bedroom static shape since I get it too and am fine if I look away from it.

fortunately, malicious users cant take advantage of this exploit very often. generally the server administrators have to either be malicious and doing it themselves, or rather uncarefully allowing users to do Minigame events while everyone is enforced in a default minigame

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths to which people on the internet will go to cause malicious bullstuff.

actually no, testing it now, there's no framerate drop doing it every 22ms..

actually no, testing it now, there's no framerate drop doing it every 22ms..
the sad thing is you can do this silently without the client knowing at all..

fortunately, malicious users cant take advantage of this exploit very often. generally the server administrators have to either be malicious and doing it themselves, or rather uncarefully allowing users to do Minigame events while everyone is enforced in a default minigame
That's not a good enough excuse. Anyone is able to fill clients' disks with gigabytes of junk, completely undetected.