The BLF Society for Research of User History & Tech

Author Topic: The BLF Society for Research of User History & Tech  (Read 3399 times)

my first laptop i ever used was a relic of a machine, running iirc windows 98 plus edition, only problem was that everything was in chinese

my first machine i think ran windows XP
except that was only used for liek a month so i dont really count it
what i do count is my hackintosh
i still have the harddrive
i forgot what specs it was tho so smh
edit: and that was my comp for over 4-5 years (i changed to an i5 and gt 740 somewhere after 2 years)
and now i use ACH lINOOX with the same specs
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:29:20 AM by SubDaWoofer »

As for my whole history of computers I've used, here you go (in chronological order):
Gateway 825GM/GT4016
Gateway FX Laptop / Sony Vaio Laptop
Mid-2011 MacBook Air
2011 Custom Build (hand-me-down from my brothers that used it previously)
2016 Custom Build
IBM Thinkpad T42
This list may not be fully accurate, but I have definitely used the machines in the list.

uhhh okay i guess i should join in on this too
alll of this is very vague as basically all of the stuff i used to have is completely gone now, even including the harddrives of all the computers which i deeply regret throwing out

consoles:
sega megadrive/genesis, 1990 to 2006(?)

first console i have ever played (as far as i remember) - most memorable games from it was Puggsy, Sonic 1(could've been 2 tho), Gunstar Heroes and a bunch more.
parents bought it way back when the console first came out and kept it until me and my brother were born. threw it out like riight back in 2006 i'm estimating along with every game. my parents tell me that they just sold it to somebody at a stupidly low price and hasn't ever heard of it since. i've yet to find any remains of the console, like any spare games, manuals or even cables.

xbox original, 2002 (when i was born) to 2010/2011 (rebought in 2017)

second console: the original xbox. bought probably right as it came out, and used to have quite a lot of games for it. we did actually keep like 20 games for it, but the console and rest of the games were sold in around 2011. I remember my favourite game being crash tag team racing, and there's a forgetton more games we played on it. I actually mostly just watched my brother play then me actually playing it. my parents have a tape containing me and my brother playing the xbox way back in 2003-4ish. the way we handled the game disks in that clip made me intensely cringe - its a miracle these game disks even work today, we used to just throw them everywhere.
right now, though, we've actually bought another original xbox and now we're playing the games we've kept with it. fun!

gameboy advance sp, 2004

we have two of these, both for me and my brother. still have kept them along with all their games - it's much easier to store away somewhere then an entire console. again, probably bought at or near the time when these originally came out.
here's a really interesting story with this console: when buying this console, my mother of course wanted a bunch of games to go with it. well, she must've ordered the games online. two big reasons why i think this: first, she bought a loving gameboy color game. luckily it's compatible with the gameboy advance but she must've not really known what she was doing when ordering as it was a different console. but the biggest thing is that: the pokemon games we had didn't look like typical pokemon cartridges. they looked like regular carts, completely gray with a simple printed sticker. recently my brother had realised that these carts don't look normal (the actual carts' plastic is transparent and coloured, and the sticker is shinier), and after some investigation we had realised: my mother, way back then, had bought counterfeit cartridges. I mean, they work just like normal pokemon cartridges, apart from the save battery being stufftier and only lasting a couple years, but it was quite heartbreaking to realise that we were playing on stuffty cheap fake carts throughout our entire childhoods.

first gen nintendo DS, 2005

I havent picked a random nintendo DS image, we did (and still do) have the very first nintendo ds model from when it was first released. still working too, with the screens still working fine. we did have two, one for me and another for my brother, but I had lost mine as far as i remember - we went to the hairdressers and i had taken my nintendo DS, then I must've put it down somewhere and then... forgot to take it back. no clue where it is right now. I remember me and my brother taking our nintendo DSs on holiday and to multiple places. I mostly remember using the chat feature which connects DSs together where you can talk to eachother and even draw and send black+white images to eachother, it was way more fun then expected. most memorable experience was playing nintendogs whilst on an airplane to spain.

that's all the consoles from my childhood i'd say - in around 2010/2011 i had steered away from consoles and just went to the computer. my brother carried on though, playing on an xbox 360 constantly back in 2009/2011. I even have a video he made in 2009 ''''instructing'''' you how to install modifications/hacks on a call of duty game, by somehow connecting the xbox 360 harddrive to the computer. I remember my dad being really pissed to hear that he was banned off of xbox live permanently due to hacking.

computers:
before i begin: there's a couple other computers my family owned before these, but i know so very little about them. I didn't even know some of them existed until i watched old home videos and noticed them in the background somewhere. I do, however, remember when one of them (running windows xp) one day suddenly started constantly freezing on bootup, my dad being angry about having to reinstall windows

this computer, as far as i can remember, was actually custom-built by my dad. no idea what year. it's too old for me to remember any of it's specs (i didn't know or care at the time). I know for a fact that it run windows xp, however i'm also sure it used to run an older windows version as i very faintly remember the windows xp upgrade screen on it and also the fact that the screensaver '3d pipes' was left over from the previous OS. it was a slow computer just becuase it was an old one my dad just gave to me to use as my first personal computer. the best moments with this computer was when I made my first roblox account in 2008, bought blockland in 2009 and i also greatly remembering spending hours installing skins and plugins for a media player called winamp - for some reason i loved winamp as a kid. it's my most nostalgic computer.. mostly because its the one i remember the least, but it was also where everything started, really. I believe it was thrown out in late 2010, along with it's harddrive. one of the most memorable things of this computer is when my dad got extremely angry at me and my brother, and literally picked it up, kept hitting it and literally threw it across the room. the computer (somehow) survived this though apart from the fan, so for a week i could only use it for half an hour before it would shut itself off due to overheating.

this is a prebuilt computer from HP, but i have no idea what model it is. It ran windows vista home premium, and judging from a console.log created on 12/29/2010, had 2gb of RAM, a 3.40Ghz processor(?!?!) and a nvidia geforce 7600. my parents had owned this computer for a while, and so when i recieved it in 2010 it had a forgetton of programs installed, along with a forgetton of things running at once on it. on the desktop image, the desktop icons are hidden - i have another image with the desktop icons and there's so loving many of them. this computer is where i first started playing minecraft in 2010, and created my youtube channel.

this is the computer i'm using right now. kinda. I have no idea where this computer came from, my dad got it from... somewhere back in 2011 and although it was labelled as a 'gaming computer' with it's super-edgy (cheap af) case, it had an integrated stuffe graphics card (ATI Radeon 3000) and a really slow processor. I'm quite sure we wasted our money on it. however, from 2011 to now, i've replaced literally every single part in it, one at a time, aside from the (really cheap and stuffty) case. first was the RAM, then the motherboard+CPU, then the graphics card, then the power supply and then the harddrives. it's been very interesting to build upon a computer like this instead of just buying new ones, and although this has meant a lot of incompatibilities, right now, in 2017, i've gotten to a point where i have absolutely no want to upgrade it. i'm not quite sure of the specs it started out with, but this is what I have right now:

I was going to continue this post, explaining all the other devices i've used over the years such as my ipod touch and camcorders, but i've spent two hours on this post trying to find info. i could continue this later if i'm bothered and if anyone cares, though. doing this has been actually quite fun - i'm a huge fan of diving into my past and finding all the things that have shaped me to be who i am, and reflecting on the past.

eh, will post the ting later

i used to leap from laptop to laptop after they kept on breaking.
the earliest laptop i can remember is a second hand one my parents got me from ebay or something.
marketed as a "gaming" laptop, but it couldn't even run the portal demo at the time; this piece of stuff looked like a grey slab and it had those chunky keys.
one of the laptops i really remember is this thin one with a shiny red top, lasted about 5-6 years before finally giving up on me and i still have it somewhere

after like my third or fourth laptop, i got a desktop pc which i then managed to convinced my parents to buy a graphics card for so that i could play some minecraft; it ran like donkey stuff compared to modern machines today, but the performance increase was exactly what i was after.
that tower was then replaced by a prebuilt gaming desktop which i still use today, the only thing changed in it the GPU, which was upgraded from a gtx 660 to a gtx 1050ti.

never really been in the High-End Gamer Performance Water-cooled Razer Pro kind of market as i don't play triple a games that often.
i'm also not into hardware, so i didn't log down every single computer i have owned
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:34:38 PM by Refticus »

Machine C: Dell Demension E520 - Windows Vista

As my Mum's accounting work became more and more computer-based, and my brother and I were spending more time on the 8400 machine (at some point the 2171 was thrown away in a skip), we opted to grab a new machine for her to do her work on so my brother and I could game on without interference. This poor Dell machine would recieve quite the beating from me over the next few years, as I swapped out its graphics card to put in the XP, and proceeded to hammer it with stuff like Halo 2 Vista (one of my first forays in AAA games on PC), game development and maintenance (that ultimately culminated in the machine's death).

I wasn't lucky enough to grab the service tag of this machine before it also was thrown in a skip (or if I did, I don't know where I saved it). Going to have to rely on good old research for this one.

• The release run of the E520 was between 2006 - 2007, with several configurations that could match up to the machine we had.
  • Windows Vista for Business was released November 30th, 2006. The files on the Dell OEM reinstall disc I still have match up to this date.
  • The Manufacture Date on the E207WFP monitor (which I still use) is listed as December 2006.
  • The Manufacture Date on the ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 card I swapped into the 8400 was listed as 2006.
  • The E520 came packaged with a load of Roxio crap. Of these discs, the latest modification dates for the discs are 2007.
  • Halo 2 Vista released on May 17th, 2007. I did not play H2V for years after its release.
  • An email printout exists in a folio of old papers for a CD/Registration Key for Nero 8, which we used to produce DVDs (both for Dad's funeral business, as well as my brother and I goofing off). The email lists the purchase date as May 19th, 2008.
  • My first video game which was mainly developed on the E520 was produced for my Year 9 Commerce class in September, 2009. This is backed up by the game using the E520's background wallpaper (including the taskbar) as one of the screens.
  • One of my posts regarding the UAC system (on another internet forum), as well as a number of old working files I had, all were created in 2010 on the E520.

Based on what we know so far, the most likely year of acquisition is 2007.

I plan on doing game consoles very soon. I just need to find more evidence, since I don't have as much to pull as my computers. I might also be able to draw some more concrete conclusions on the PCs soon, as I dig through more shreds of evidence previously left unfound.

Console A: PlayStation

My first ever digital experience was on a PlayStation, and figuring out anything about this bastard has taken quite a long while. My original console was thrown in a skip when my Dad figured we didn't use it any more, and my replacement is a very different model. I'm still not sure on all the facts of the original, but I can lay them out here.

• I called up my Dad yesterday to try and get some info out of him. All he remembers was getting console after getting married. His best guess was 1995.
  • Dad's speculation is wrong, based on the BIOS. Our PAL console had the standard Blue Menu that you're all familiar with, but all PAL PS1 consoles produced before 1998 had this ugly grey bastard instead. I have no idea why the switch, but it does help clarify the date a bit.
  • Another known fact is that my console did not have the FMV skipping issues present in earlier models, due to the position of the laser and the PSU causing overheating problems. I don't remember the exact position of the laser, but movies played smoothly on my console as far as I remember.
  • My console def. had the parallel port, as I remember freaking out when I took off the cover, thinking I had broken it.
  • The console absolutely came with 1x DualShock controller.
  • The console had symbols on the open and on buttons on the console, as opposed to words.
  • The two valid configurations matching all this information are the SCPH-7002 (May 1998) and the SCPH-7502 (April 1999) (which released months after their NTSC Japanese/American variants. I'm inclined to believe we got the console later (see the next section on games we owned).

Based on this list of PS1 models, the most likely candidate for console I owned is the SCPH-7502, purchased at some point through 1999.

If that wasn't bad enough, there's now another problem, which is regarding the games. I remember a number of PS1 games, but we want to focus on the games I first remember having, before I started renting or purchasing games (keep in mind, I was just a kid so there wasn't a lot of that). Quite a few of these are demos, and they're the major issue.

• Gran Turismo: We had a demo edition of this game, but the trouble is determining which one. Wikipedia states that in Christmas 1998, console sales all came with a demo version, but I've seen no other evidence of this supposed demo. As far as known demos, there are two specific menu designs I recall, and it could be either one; the unlikely candidate is the Official UK Playstation Magazine Disc 17: Vol 2 - 1998 disc, given that I seem to recall the 1998 version of the Demo 1 disc's fish menu a lot better. Every PS1 console came with Demo 1, but the contents of the disc were changed every so often for more relevant game demos at the time of printing.
  • Destruction Derby: I def. remember playing a demo of the Destruction Derby pit level, as that Psygnosis owl image stuck with me, and I got a huge nostalgia flashback when I tried the demo on my PSP some years later. Super confusingly, the most likely candidate for the demo disc I played this one from is the 1995 Demo 1, which would fit in with my Dad's idea of the console in 1995. It's possible he did buy the console in 1995, and had it replaced for some reason, or this disc was given to him by somebody else (like my Aunt). Confusing.
  • Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace: I still own this disc. SLED-02044's main method of distribution was the August 1999 Edition of Australian Playstation Magazine. I don't know my Dad to be big on buying video game magazines, so it's possible this was given to him or something.
  • Formula 1 '98: Released on October 30th, 1998. I still have this disc. Funnily enough, another Psygnosis game.
  • Ape Escape: This was released on the 31st of May, 1999. Somehow, I don't believe my Dad purchased this one himself (He is a racing fan, not so much a platforming fan, and I don't think he had any intention of buying games for Toddler McJob at that stage).

Based on what we know so far, the most likely year of acquisition is 1999.

Console B: PlayStation 2 - SCPH-70002 (Slim)

Because I still own this console, finding information for it has been significantly easier, and the case was blown wide open by some certain facts. Ratchet & Clank 3 still serves as my favourite game of all time, given those fond multiplayer memories and how hard the singleplayer campaign pushed me. It also helped me overcome my singing delusions by letting me see how bad I was at Singstar. I know I got this game for Christmas and lorded over my brother with it. The real question is which Christmas.

• The SCPH-700XX series, also known as the PS2 Slim, was first released on October 29th, 2004. The 02 Variant (Oceania) was first released specifically on November 1st, 2004. There some recalls at the beginning of 2005 for known defective batches, but they were America-specific.
  • As previously mentioned in the evidence of my 8400, a photo in our various albums had my brother and me in shot with both our PS2 Slim as well as this Dimension 8400. The photo's developing date says April 10, 2006.
  • An odd bit of evidence, but I specifically remember having a conversation with two people I didn't like regarding Ratchet & Clank in Year 6 of Primary School, 2006. I doubt I would know that franchise without having played it first
  • Ratchet & Clank 3 was first released on November 18th, 2004.
  • Ricky Ponting Cricket 2005, another title I got with the PS2, was obv. released in July of 2005.

Based on what we know, the year of acquisition is Christmas, 2005.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:17:51 PM by McJob »