Going to upgrade my dad's XP for christmas, can I get some help?

Author Topic: Going to upgrade my dad's XP for christmas, can I get some help?  (Read 2545 times)

do you know that people aren't always made of money?

You can get a cheap less than 200 dollar modern computer which will probably out perform that virus filled windows XP.

So how much is windows 7 software these days?

Also factor in the price of the parts he needs to upgrade that computer.

Decent anti-virus software.

So you're spending about 100 dollars at least or more to upgrade an ancient computer when you could put in about 100 more dollars to get something better that will last longer.

Windows XP computers are old, wouldn't doubt it's nearing its last life.

I'm just being honest here.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Optiplex-760-Desktop-Intel-Core-2-Duo-2-3GHz-8GB-RAM-750GB-HDD-DVD-ROM-Windows-10-Professional-19-Display-Keyboard-Mouse-Speaker-WiFi/162441189?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=940&adid=22222222227047571965&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=146896220291&wl4=pla-313212851687&wl5=9003217&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113125887&wl11=online&wl12=162441189&wl13=&veh=sem

Budget 230 dollar computer at walmart, probably waaaaaaaaay more than what he needs but will be enough to last him about another 10+ or more years.

For 230 you get a monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard and tower.
Can probably find something cheaper than that without the package deal.

That's half the cost of a PS4.

This is really nice for a budget. I don't think you can do any better than this, no matter how many upgrades you put into that XP.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:13:21 AM by King Tøny »

Well it already has 4gb ram and it's 32bit, because it's an xp, so idk about that. My brother does have some spare hard dries iirc
those vague specifications tell me that it should be still capable of being used without being upgraded, i suggest installing Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 32-bit
that is if you want to stay with the 32-bit version if compatibility is your biggest requirement (server 2003 is the most stable version of XP's kernel, and should be compatible with applications running on XP)

and if your HDD isn't dying, there is no need for a spare HDD unless you have a feeling that the S.M.A.R.T. statistics are bad enough
Desktop, my good sir
Well for gods sake the thing is like 15 years old do you really expect anything about it to be 64bit?
there still can be a 90% chance that your outdated desktop is capable of 64-bit operation, my Toshiba Satellite P25 is and was always said to be only capable of running 32-bit applications
but a CPU swap made it capable of running 64-bit applications
You can get a cheap less than 200 dollar modern computer which will probably out perform that virus filled windows XP.

So how much is windows 7 software these days?

Also factor in the price of the parts he needs to upgrade that computer.

Decent anti-virus software.

So you're spending about 100 dollars at least or more to upgrade an ancient computer when you could put in about 100 more dollars to get something better that will last longer.

Windows XP computers are old, wouldn't doubt it's nearing its last life.

I'm just being honest here.
XP machines are still capable of doing day-to-day tasks if its not related to DirectX 10 gaming and above
google chrome may not support XP but chrome 49 is still a viable browser that supports XP and can display most of the websites without entering a juggled up mess of UIs

plus LGA775 (considering he has 4GB of RAM and thats common in LGA775 builds) motherboards are still capable of being gamed on provided you overclock them
and things like parts are hilariously cheap (especially cpus) gpus on the other hand is a different case, but you still can get old parts for cheap

and honestly a modern 200 dollar computer whether it being a desktop or a laptop is a joke to certain fast ancient desktops or laptops, seriously
let us compare between these 2 processors:

(modern budget laptop processor)                                                          (ancient overclocker laptop processor)
Intel Mobile Celeron N2840 @ 2167MHz versus Intel Mobile Core 2 Extreme X9100 @ 3067MHz
2014 price: $107 (for the SoC only)                                                                            2008 price: $851 (for the CPU only)
2017 price: not known because nobody is selling them in SoC form,           2017 price: $9-17 (according to eBay)
though it could be bought around $150-$280 depending on the laptop
on the markets these days

upgradeable: no, it is BGA                                                                                            upgradeable: yes, it is PGA

..you obviously know which would win, right?

[OPTIONAL: THIS MAY NOT BE A GOOD RECOMMENDATION]

anyways for anti-viruses, IT IS a common-sense thing that consumers should know what to not click and what to click or download

you'll honestly never need an anti-virus if you can protect yourself from fishy or sketchy looking ads or downloads (which i have done for the past 10 years)
if i have to quote somebody from a certain website: "The best anti-virus is you."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:07:44 AM by Mac Workin »

anyways for anti-viruses, IT IS a common-sense thing that consumers should know what to not click and what to click or download

you'll honestly never need an anti-virus if you can protect yourself from fishy or sketchy looking ads or downloads (which i have done for the past 10 years)
if i have to quote somebody from a certain website: "The best anti-virus is you."
This is the most ignorant thing you have posted the entire thread.

This is the most ignorant thing you have posted the entire thread.
ok maybe i might've been bending my neck too far, but that was my experience

apologies if it had sounded forced but i was trying to explain by experience and not knowledge, i was not aware of adware being
present in certain installers which had appeared god knows when

just give me a little breathing room, my daily driver is not on a modern computer and a modern browser, its old... both of them
so there are high chances of me not being even able to run a standard virus since it may have certain APIs or .dlls that it needs

if you know that i am truly ignorant, could you help darth by giving him a better suggestion for an anti-virus?
i'm not too sure whether if i did but this statement was just years of running XP/Server 2003/2000/NT 4.0, i sincerely apologize if i sounded too much of a corpse under a rock

ok maybe i might've been bending my neck too far, but that was my experience

apologies if it had sounded forced but i was trying to explain by experience and not knowledge, i was not aware of adware being
present in certain installers which had appeared god knows when

just give me a little breathing room, my daily driver is not on a modern computer and a modern browser, its old... both of them
so there are high chances of me not being even able to run a standard virus since it may have certain APIs or .dlls that it needs

if you know that i am truly ignorant, could you help darth by giving him a better suggestion for an anti-virus?
i'm not too sure whether if i did but this statement was just years of running XP/Server 2003/2000/NT 4.0, i sincerely apologize if i sounded too much of a corpse under a rock
computers running old OS’s are more vulnerable to malware because they don’t have basic security measures in place that newer OS versions have. i don’t think xp isn’t even supported by microsoft anymore and the last security update it got was the wannacry patch. busting an xp/7 device is easy, and based off the fact you’ve never even installed av, im guessing you haven’t taken any other security precautions with your devices to make them safer

everyone thinks they’re good until they get their computer infected, do yourself a favor and install av, run malwarebytes scans periodically, etc

What Gajin said, also I probably got one of the most trusted anti-malware on the internet which is malwarebytes so yeah. Besides, Windows XP is a loving virus magnet
Tony, I can't even buy a $20 humble bundle and you want me to buy a 200 dollar computer just for my dad to do karaoke when I can always do a clean reset on the XP and pay for a $30 disk to install Windows 7?
Do you even know if it is even possible to upgrade that windows XP?
no tony I am handicapped Of course I do, I just want tips on how to do a clean reset
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:30:59 AM by Darth C3P0² »

When I upgraded an old XP computer to 7, I was able to use windows migration to transfer settings and files despite it being a clean reset otherwise. If you have storage space, backing up stuff that's important or making a list of installed programs won't hurt, since you'll need to have the migration file on a USB or something anyway if you go that route.

make sure to scan all his files too before transferring them. delete anything that is malicious so it doesn’t carry over to the fresh install

make sure to scan all his files too before transferring them. delete anything that is malicious so it doesn’t carry over to the fresh install
One big problem is that I found 1k viruses on a full system scan and on another 10, which might mean that there is a hidden program that is infecting the computer