Author Topic: Stop badmouthing the game, you idiots  (Read 14124 times)

Updated on 2017-12-26

It's incredibly frustrating seeing people frequently complain about how the game is "dead" and there aren't as many players as there used to be.  I'm not going to lie and say that the playerbase isn't declining, because it is, but crying about how it's dead is completely hyperbolic and discourages people from playing the game.

One of the things I believe discourages people are the Steam reviews.  The review score on Steam is currently 68% "Mixed".  You wanna know why?  Because of all the people complaining that the game is "dead" or that the developer has "abandoned the game" or whatever.  How many people do we see with hundreds or thousands of hours posting a negative review on Steam because the player count isn't what it used to be?

Do you really think this helps?  When a veteran player of the game complains about how "dead" it is (even though it's not), do you really think that will bring in more players?  You do realize how counterproductive that is, right?  Clearly there's something that keeps you coming back to it or else you wouldn't have played it for so long.  Maybe we should change our attitude and try focusing more on what we love about the game, instead of focusing on all the negative aspects.  That's not to say that we shouldn't point out its flaws, but just that we should try talking about the game more positively and start posting some better reviews.

Obviously posting positive reviews on Steam won't be the thing that "saves Blockland" or whatever, but it's certainly better than talking stuff about it.  I already did my part and posted a review on the Steam page and I think you should too.  Don't be lazy and just say "it's good" with a thumbs up; put some effort into it.  You don't have to write some long post detailing every single thing about the game that you like, either; it can be a simple "I've spent countless hours on this game with my friends, from building ships to..." etc. etc.  Just a quick recommendation for people to see.  (I mean if you like writing long reviews you can do that too, obviously).

If you are writing a longer review, you should be honest with people and address the flaws you think the game has.  Being more positive doesn't mean glossing over the negative aspects, but stop being so goddamn melodramatic, my god.  The game isn't "dead"; the playerbase is declining, yes, but it's far from dead.  Badspot has not "abandoned" us either.  He's been developing the game for over 13 years; that's a long-ass time for a game to be supported by its developer, especially for an indie game.  Badspot isn't obligated to add any more features.  It's a finished product, and it has been for over 10 years.  There are many things I would like added to the game as well, but I know that Badspot has no interest in updating it any more and I don't blame him.

It doesn't have to stop at Steam, either.  Almost every time that Blockland is mentioned somewhere else, the whole "game is dead" subject comes up.  This doesn't help.  If a game is brought up that you've never heard of before, any interest in that game is going to be completely shattered if the people who've played it complain about how "dead" it is.

I don't know, I would just like to see more positivity when it comes to discussions about this game.  You don't have to be annoying about it and for the love of god don't spam threads and comment sections about it, but just mentioning how fun it is to build things with your friends, or make add-ons or whatever could peak some people's interest.

You don't have to do any of this, but don't whine about how dead the game is and then turn around and tell people not to buy it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:48:13 AM by Electrk.. »

the funny thing is that they give the game a bad review, call it dead to everyone and no fun anymore and then they continue playing for years on end

"I cannot recommend this game. Before I start this off, I'd like to address the 1,000 hours thing. Most of my hours are from either from me leaving the game open for my friends (partially due to the fact that blockland on steam has no dedicated support, and lacking a client made me deal with doing this for a bit), dealing with my friends playing this game, or actually enjoying 1-2 gamemodes that are put out on the game that are pretty much non existent now. "

I felt my review was legitimate due to the harm the community did to me. I have severe addiction problems and it only hurt me worse. The community only fueled my depression during a poor state in my life and makes it genuinely difficult to recommend something tied to a community like this.

This is my reasoning for a negative review and is very subjective. I am at most lukewarm to the game and attempt to avoid the community outside of the forum.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:16:00 PM by -Nal- »

Its sad to see this. They are probably people who play stuffty games like roblox and stuff like that. So what if the playerbase of Blockland is like 150 people left? Its still a great game. They just dont see that because they are either too stupid or blind, or because they are minecraft fanboys. The part where they say its no fun anymore? They probably have no idea how to install add-ons or anything like that. They need to stop complaining and actually play and learn how to play the game.

"I cannot recommend this game. Before I start this off, I'd like to address the 1,000 hours thing. Most of my hours are from either from me leaving the game open for my friends (partially due to the fact that blockland on steam has no dedicated support, and lacking a client made me deal with doing this for a bit), dealing with my friends playing this game, or actually enjoying 1-2 gamemodes that are put out on the game that are pretty much non existent now. "

And yet here you are, hosting a New Year's party on the game you "cannot recommend"

EDIT: I decided to expand on this post because I thought the original was rather dismissive and I realized that I didn't address the second paragraph.

I felt my review was legitimate due to the harm the community did to me. I have severe addiction problems and it only hurt me worse. The community only fueled my depression during a poor state in my life and makes it genuinely difficult to recommend something tied to a community like this.

I understand that you've been through some rough times and you have my sympathies, but I don't think it's fair to pin this on the game.  From your post it seems like you are going through many personal issues that are separate from the game, and aren't really specific to the game itself.  Knowing this community I'm sure it didn't help, but your problems seem to stem from sources external to Blockland.

EDIT 2: We hashed it out over Steam.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:52:09 PM by Electrk.. »

And yet here you are, hosting a New Year's party on the game you "cannot recommend"
something to do with friends. most of the time i'm not even playing the game, rather having it open and doing a few things /outside/ of the game itself. which you can easily see in the credits

I can't recommend more people play this game. Reason: Not enough people play the game.

the thing is that bl's ability to play with friends is one of the reasons it's so great. it's difficult to find another game where you know everyone else who plays it, but you're still able to rack up a good amount of people when it counts

im just waiting for the loving hat update

BL is the greatest game ever made, and I just wrote a positive review because of this thread

the thing is that bl's ability to play with friends is one of the reasons it's so great. it's difficult to find another game where you know everyone else who plays it, but you're still able to rack up a good amount of people when it counts
ya honestly
BL is the greatest game ever made, and I just wrote a positive review because of this thread
ur a hero c:

No offense dude but any community issues can be dealt with easily. You just don't have to associate with harmful people. Besides, and lot of the insults are basically just banter. Many here insult people but it's rarely malicious.