Stop badmouthing the game, you idiots

Author Topic: Stop badmouthing the game, you idiots  (Read 14126 times)

'don't say the truth cause that would hurt our cause'

what is reading comprehension

1000+ hours out of a 7 quid game is ridiculous value for money

what is reading comprehension

i've read the thread again and i'm not changing my post

idk man, whether or not a game is good or bad is kinda subjective. this game doesn't have massive glaring flaws/bugs that make it objectively bad, just a high dependence on players being interested in creating stuff. aka not a game that people can just pick up and play.

truth implies that its objectively decidable, which its not.

"I cannot recommend this game. Before I start this off, I'd like to address the 1,000 hours thing. Most of my hours are from either from me leaving the game open for my friends (partially due to the fact that blockland on steam has no dedicated support, and lacking a client made me deal with doing this for a bit), dealing with my friends playing this game, or actually enjoying 1-2 gamemodes that are put out on the game that are pretty much non existent now. "

I felt my review was legitimate due to the harm the community did to me. I have severe addiction problems and it only hurt me worse. The community only fueled my depression during a poor state in my life and makes it genuinely difficult to recommend something tied to a community like this.

This is my reasoning for a negative review and is very subjective. I am at most lukewarm to the game and attempt to avoid the community outside of the forum.
Hey man, I've been there. But you can't blame a game for your problems. It was a catalyst to your depression, not the cause of it. Not only is it harmful to the game to put this out there, but it's harmful for you to be using a scapegoat rather than confronting your own problems. Take it from someone who's spent years shaking his fist at everyone and everything but himself.

I can't recommend more people play this game. Reason: Not enough people play the game.
Can't tell if this is satire or not. Do you not see the catch-22 in this statement? How would any game ever get people to play it if they used this logic? (The answer is none.) All multiplayer games start from a point of no players. And yet, they still somehow build communities.

BL is the greatest game ever made, and I just wrote a positive review because of this thread
Thank you!

They probably have no idea how to install add-ons or anything like that. They need to stop complaining and actually play and learn how to play the game.
The part of this that makes me laugh (and cry) the most is that Blockland has one of the most straight-forward, open-ended modding systems of any game I've ever seen. No SDKs or third-party programs needed. Just a text editor.

Nice strawman. Don't blow on it; it might fall over.

The one thing I can agree with the nay-sayers on is that Blockland's community eats itself. However, I think the part they don't realize is that they themselves are a large part of that very problem.

I'm actually going to go buy the game on Steam now to give it a good review. I've been meaning to get an alt for years and the game's 67% off right now anyways.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 01:54:50 AM by Platypi »

Absolutely, it was during a worse time and is subjective. I left the community to look back on it and that's when I wrote my review

I just wish there was more to the game and community, but that isn't something we really can change and is something we'll all have to deal with. I'm not saying it's dying by saying that, though. I guess my reasoning is that I don't treat reviews like a like or dislike of the game, I treat it as a a "yes, I want you to own this game" or vise versa
So. You don't want people to own the game because of your own personal issues.
Alright.

if the game was more expensive I might have a hard time justifying a recommendation but honestly it's $10. you could easily get 10 hours out of the game without being into any of the niche stuff that gets people up to these 1000+ numbers, and I think the general rule is $1 per hour so

I don't think any community-related stuff has any bearing on the enjoyment of the game

Honestly all these handicapped reviews make me embarrassed to have publicly shown the support for this game that I have.  It's such a shame that such a genuinely good game has been so overshadowed by a toxic community's horrible reviews...

Read your review, Electrk.  Couldn't have stated any of it better myself.  Absolutely does the game justice in every way it deserves while also dressing the legitimate faults of the game. 

im just waiting for the loving hat update
This is still a thing? I thought Badspot gave up or something.

I honestly really do enjoy Blockland and think it's a great game. The only thing I don't like at this point is the servers. To me, they're getting a bit repetitive..

idk man, whether or not a game is good or bad is kinda subjective. this game doesn't have massive glaring flaws/bugs that make it objectively bad, just a high dependence on players being interested in creating stuff. aka not a game that people can just pick up and play.

truth implies that its objectively decidable, which its not.

no no the game itself is an 8 but the community around it is a solid 2. when i say game i'm referring to the entire thing, community included. the constant theme i keep seeing in the negative reviews are either 'the playerbase isn't the same size as it was half a decade ago' or 'the community is stuff'. both of which are true. blockland's numbers are on a downward slope and the community is unbearable for anyone without brain damage.

i don't get what trying to stop negative reviews are going to accomplish. it's 1, not going to loving work and 2, not going to help anything other than your feelings not getting upset because a game you bought when you were 7 isn't as big as it was 10 years later. do you think making the game have better steam reviews will help sales? didn't we try that already?

I'd honestly accept a new reigeme of facepunch-style admins. Ancient, still active users who have a sense of humor and don't hold any serious grudges. I'd change my ways if the community itself got better for sure, but it seems since alot of people have already left something like that could never happen.

Blockland is in decline because creativity and innovation fail in comparison to retreading the same ground because.
A. People who want new, different and/or innovative servers don't play them when they come around.
B. The same old stuff is boring for those in part A and since thats what is usually on now, most people dont check or play the game, which removes motivation for people to do so.

We can make all the "how to fix blockland" threads we want, but unless we fix this cynical and defeatist attitude, we will see. No change.

+1, even worse the actually good reviews (like mine) are not in the public eye due to handicapped 9 year olds.

It was posted several months ago and then I edited recently.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:01:05 AM by Darth C3P0² »