WHO recognizes gaming as a disorder

Author Topic: WHO recognizes gaming as a disorder  (Read 3405 times)

Posting short auto-generated anecdotes doesn't mean anything if you don't actually read the article you're citing.

The WHO is classifying a "Gaming Disorder", not a disease.

While the increase is associated with clear benefits to users, for example in real-time information exchange, health problems as a result of excessive use have also been documented. In a number of countries, the problem has become a significant public health concern.

The concerns are over the non-physical addiction to gaming, much like addiction to gambling, leading to people neglecting their own health.

hooray for the world health organization

whenever someone tells me gender dysphoria isn't a mental illness and they cite WHO I'll just point them to this

I know you're a reactionary idiot and interacting with you is almost always a poor idea, but is neglecting your own personal health to continue to obsessively play videogames something that shouldn't be considered a behavioral disorder? With the widespread popularity of virtual entertainment, why shouldn't there be a study into the behavioral science behind gaming?

Of course this was probably just an attempt to shoehorn a discussion about gender dysphoria and derail the thread into something you want to talk about.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:13:08 PM by IkeTheGeneric »

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. If this catches on we’re all legible for disability pay.

Being addictive is the disease but being addicted to gaming is not a disease.

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. If this catches on we’re all legible for disability pay.
...f-free gamer bux?!

a more reasonable title might be closer to "gaming addiction medically recognized as disorder." gaming isnt the disorder. it's the addiction.
Which is true. But, the article is like worded in a way makes it Gaming in general is a disorder than calling it an addiction. Even the loving name makes it too broad.

i play games for several hours a day, does that mean that i have a disease

Before you complain about this should really look at the official ICD draft, rather than just a news article.

They basically just copy and pasted the definition of gambling disorder and replaced 'gambling' with 'gaming'

Gambling: https://icd.who.int/dev11/l-m/en#/http%3a%2f%2fid.who.int%2ficd%2fentity%2f1041487064

Gambling disorder is characterized by a pattern of persistent or recurrent gambling behaviour, which may be online (i.e., over the internet) or offline, manifested by: 1) impaired control over gambling (e.g., onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context); 2) increasing priority given to gambling to the extent that gambling takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities; and 3) continuation or escalation of gambling despite the occurrence of negative consequences. The behaviour pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning. The pattern of gambling behaviour may be continuous or episodic and recurrent. The gambling behaviour and other features are normally evident over a period of at least 12 months in order for a diagnosis to be assigned, although the required duration may be shortened if all diagnostic requirements are met and symptoms are severe.

Gaming: https://icd.who.int/dev11/l-m/en#/http%3a%2f%2fid.who.int%2ficd%2fentity%2f1448597234

Gaming disorder is characterized by a pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behaviour (‘digital gaming’ or ‘video-gaming’), which may be online (i.e., over the internet) or offline, manifested by: 1) impaired control over gaming (e.g., onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context); 2) increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities; and 3) continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences. The behaviour pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning. The pattern of gaming behaviour may be continuous or episodic and recurrent. The gaming behaviour and other features are normally evident over a period of at least 12 months in order for a diagnosis to be assigned, although the required duration may be shortened if all diagnostic requirements are met and symptoms are severe.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:32:50 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

*gaming addiction
just like how gambling, shopping, and research can become addictions. obsessive gaming, where you neglect your and others' needs, is a disorder.

implying the entire blf wasn't already eligible

/support

Electronics are psychologically addictive

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. If this catches on we’re all eligible for disability pay.

Practically the best post I've seen in ages

Guess they'll have to consider office jobs as worker abuse because we already know that sitting multiple hours a day at a desk has adverse effects on health and increases risk for heart diseases, stroke, obesity, etc.

So, someone who loves to compete and progress and frequently returns to their hobby to do more of that... is experiencing a disorder.
Interesting.

I can 100% say I spent an unhealthy amount of time playing games.  If they're classifying gaming addiction they need to have gaming, gambling, internet, and research all classified as well.  They all scratch an itch for me that nothing else will and when I get into either of them I really get into them.

So, someone who loves to compete and progress and frequently returns to their hobby to do more of that... is experiencing a disorder.
Interesting.
it's people who neglect their actual lives to do so who have a behavioral disorder