Author Topic: RogueType - An in-browser roguelike game (v2.1.3)  (Read 12543 times)

i have some meat

what do

edit: try spacing messages out, it's hard to tell messages apart at times

edit x2: "You've identified Potion Of Identification"

wow helpful
thanks
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:04:53 PM by Superfun909 »

edit: try spacing messages out, it's hard to tell messages apart at times
I'm aware that it's a little bit hard to read, but it's part of the visual style I was going for. There isn't really enough room to space the messages out more as it would worsen the issue of the log being too short on small screens. However, I did think about switching the log to ascending instead of descending so that the most relevant messages are written closest to the map area.

edit x2: "You've identified Potion Of Identification"
This is a bug I'll have addressed in the next update.

hjkl movement or riot

there's dozens of us

hjkl movement or riot

there's dozens of us
I'll look into adding some key configuration in the next version.

For real though, it feels wrong for a text-based roguelike to not have that supported by default.
Then again, Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode exists.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:44:23 AM by /dev/sr0 »

I cannot move to the right nor wait when using default controls using the beta. It says i'm pressing D in the console but not moving :|

That should be fixed now.

snip

Give it a try in the beta version.
Thanks!

I noticed that unlike most roguelikes of this type, this game doesn't support diagonal movement.
If you ever add that in the future, the movement keys generally used in classic roguelikes are like this:

y k u
  \|/
h-- --l
  /|\
 b j n

Some (notably nethack) also support this kind of movement using the numpad.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:45:59 AM by /dev/sr0 »

v1.9.0 is now released.

- New options menu that allows configuration of keybinds, and a setting to enable/disable sound. These settings persist between refreshes as long as your browser keeps the game's cookie data.
- The game log has been inverted so that new text shows up at the top of the log. In theory this is easier to read while you are watching the map screen.
- The game log also has a fake scrolling effect now.
- Fixed the message log and inventory sometimes scrolling from keyboard input.
- Fixed potion of identification identifying itself and not identifying weapons.
- A few other bug fixes.

I've gone ahead and created a github for the game to make the source code easier to explore and for better issue tracking. Note that this does not make the game open-source, it's just for convenience.

https://github.com/Pecon/RogueType

I can see the source code though
what part of that isn't open

for real though this is cool
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:08:53 PM by /dev/sr0 »

Yeah but that's not what open source means. It's the philosophy that you can take the code and do basically whatever with it. That's not the case here, I didn't release it under an open-source license so you're going to need my permission before using the code elsewhere.

Yeah but that's not what open source means. It's the philosophy that you can take the code and do basically whatever with it. That's not the case here, I didn't release it under an open-source license so you're going to need my permission before using the code elsewhere.
Yeah, I know, I was just poking fun about the confusion between "open source", "free software", "gratis software", etc.