[NEWS] H&M under major backlash over "tribal" advert

Author Topic: [NEWS] H&M under major backlash over "tribal" advert  (Read 2785 times)

Recently this H&M advertisement has been shared all over the internet depicting a child in a hoodie which reads "Coolest monkey in the jungle"

now a lot of people are seeing this as a comedic meme, it's funny because everyone likes to laugh and joke a lot. I mean we don't mean it literally when we joke around with topics like this, that is banter and it's all understandable. But the main loving problem here is that libtards are losing their absolute stuff over this advert and claiming it to be "tribal". In my opinion it is a bit stupid that they put a black kid in a hoodie like this because it's going to receive large criticism, however, if this was a Aisan child, a Caucasian child or a Latino child, not a single person would lose their stuff.

However libtards are taking this advert as tribal, why? because they instantly associate monkeys to black people. Read that again and then we'll loving decide who's tribal. You cannot simply look at something and go "That's tribal" just because it says monkey. No one here is saying that this child is a monkey even if there's a sign saying that he's the "Coolest monkey in the jungle". This is not racism.

Here's what racism looks like:

Luis Suarez (on the left) calling Patrice Evra a Bro, saying "okay blacky, blacky, blacky" and pinching Evra's skin

That's loving racism, not a child wearing a hoodie that has a dumb caption. At the end of the day anyone will buy that hoodie anyone can wear it, it's not even ultimately aimed at black people either.

The mother of the child has also spoken out and take a look at what she has to say on this:

Code: [Select]
“I wouldn’t see such a connection to anything other than my son modelling a shirt,” Terry explained.

“Until the controversy now, with the whole furore that is going on, then you kind of look back and wonder if you had noticed it, what would be our, or my, initial response to it.”

But Terry explained she doesn’t believe the furore has necessarily been unjust.

“It is not an overreaction when it comes to racism, everyone should act differently based on their opinions of what racism is,” she said, explaining that she’s faced racism and even been called a ‘monkey’ herself.

“To put the T-shirt and the word ‘monkey’ with racism, maybe that is not my way of looking at it,” Terry added.

“I’m just looking at Liam, a black young boy, modeling a T-shirt that has the word ‘monkey’ on it.

“Everybody should respect different opinions based on racism.”
Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/hm-hoodie-racism-model-parents-terry-frank-mango-h-and-m-a8160116.html

Even the mother has said that this is just a person modeling with the word "monkey" on it, it is not tribal at all. Also an H&M store in south africa was trashed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42675665

This is absolutely pathetic and Liberals are becoming more and more cancerous as the years progress

H&M's logical solution: Stop hiring black kids to model, because it's obviously too controversial. Black people lose, thanks to liberal outrage culture, again.

Also lol @ riots in South Africa. Any excuse to break into an expensive store and steal stuff right?

I wish people wouldn't lose their stuff so much over accidental racism. This was clearly just an innocent ad that unintentionally carries a tribal subtext. In fact, the reason they probably employed a black model for the catalog was in an effort to make their website more inclusive to a variety of customers. Nobody in H&M was saying, "hey let's have the black kid wear the t-shirt with 'monkey' on it, so that we can laugh about racism."

That being said, they ought to just switch it out. Get a different model to wear the same shirt and replace the image. But on the other hand, there's no need for anyone to lose their stuff over this in the meantime. There's still legitimate racial strife in our society - people should focus on that other than instances of clueless white people accidentally being offensive.

damn it's only 8 bucks

I'm pretty sure they just have people model a blank version of each type of clothing (hoodie, t-shirt, v-neck, etc.) and auto paste the designs and color choices onto them

I'm pretty sure they just have people model a blank version of each type of clothing (hoodie, t-shirt, v-neck, etc.) and auto paste the designs and color choices onto them
if so, that's a pretty sophisticated system. the words perfectly contour onto the surface

well now i guess ill start going to macys and forever 21 instead of h&m

h&m doesnt they use models

h&m doesnt they use models
well word up then they should've picked a different model for this one

Went into an hm today they had some pretty good deals.. got a few 30 dollar sweaters on sale for 7 dollars

Went to an H&M down in South Africa today and got some great deals, like $1000 worth of clothes for 0 dollars