VRChat Blockland Avatar Release

Author Topic: VRChat Blockland Avatar Release  (Read 7959 times)

Here's a barebones model. Comes with a PSD to customize the decals and colors.

THIS IS AN FBX. NOT A UNITY PROJECT. YOU NEED TO SET UP THE MODEL YOURSELF AND PUBLISH IT YOURSELF IN UNITY.
https://leopard.hosting/dl/xqyrc/BlockheadFBX.zip

A few notes for putting this in Unity:

Under the Model tab of the Inspector, set the Normals to calculate, and the angle to 0, like here.

This forces the model to be flatshaded, as it should

Additionally, you might get a "not in T-pose" error when configuring the bones in Unity

Hit this in the drop down menu and you're gold

The Unity default selection of bones for this rig may not be proper so here's the bone list

This is also my recommended View Position, at least for Desktop users. Feel free to play around with it, especially for actual VR users.

If y'all have any issues, let me know. I've published this specific FBX multiple times with different variants, so it should be working as intended. If you have never made an avatar for VRC, I recommend looking up tutorials, there are a lot of dependencies you need to have sorted out in order to get this into VRC. This is a rather simple model too so its a rather low barrier of entry.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:10:00 AM by Vigil »

Where did you learn to do this?

Where did you learn to do this?

Lots of tutorials on YouTube that touch base on different parts of the process in fragmented ways. I can't say there's a singular "EASIEST WAY TO DO CUSTOM VRC AVATARS" video, but watching a lot of them will give you the gist of each part of the process. There's also a wiki that sometimes has good information and other times is completely useless.

http://vrchat.wikia.com/wiki/Quick_Start_-_Mixamo_Avatar_Creation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqecP2mn0c&t=3m31s

It's actually pretty easy, especially if you're experienced in modeling or hell even touched it in the past, nothing more than rigging your model up with bones and then importing it into unity.

It's actually pretty easy, especially if you're experienced in modeling or hell even touched it in the past, nothing more than rigging your model up with bones and then importing it into unity.

I'm stuck at the "importing it into unity" part, like, will i need an account for both Unity and VRChat? (if Steam acc. doesn't count for VRChat) And what's a good video/series of the Unity into VRChat workflow?

Why can't we have the playermodel ready to use without having to take these steps in unity?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:54:27 AM by Filipe »

I'm stuck at the "importing it into unity" part, like, will i need an account for both Unity and VRChat? (if Steam acc. doesn't count for VRChat) And what's a good video/series of the Unity into VRChat workflow?
Sounds like you're using a version of unity the SDK doesn't support, you have to use the version of unity it specifies, I thought that it would work with the 2017 version but was wrong.
5.6.3 w/ or w/o patch works. https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases/5.6.3p1
Why we can't have the playermodel ready to use without needing to take these steps in unity?
It's likely an issue with the ways unity can import the models, requiring it to be packaged up and all for it to work with a game.

Got it working and this is really cool. Now I can now run after roblox avatars

this guy had the best hank hill voice imitation I've ever heard
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:32:13 PM by MrLoL² »

I have a model I've been wanting to port over to vrchat but appearantly you need to download unity ENTIRELY and I really don't want to flood my ssd with programs I won't use.

ugh when will they add workshop support already

VR users: let me know how it’s working out, I don’t have VR so I couldn’t test the avatar and make finer adjustments for such.

Mine shows an error saying nvm I figured out
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:34:20 PM by Filipe »

I got it working but my feet are dangling everywhere I walk, I followed all the steps.

i fixed it, when you edit the humanoid thing you have to re position the feet.

here is a good version you can easily open after you import the SDK.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u7107cxoejwphg9/BlockheadRigFingle.unitypackage

Just import the SDK, then open that file, then set up the view point, then you can easily publish.

or you can just edit the feet in the humanoid menu setup.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:00:44 PM by IdeTheBird »

I got it working but my feet are dangling everywhere I walk, I followed all the steps.
Yeah same problem with mine.

Is it dangling in first person only? Or can everyone else see it too? I might suggest disabling the toe bones in the Rig Config

Is it dangling in first person only? Or can everyone else see it too? I might suggest disabling the toe bones in the Rig Config
everyone can see it.

also no, dont disable any of the bones or it wont be as cool looking in game.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:03:12 PM by IdeTheBird »