[NEWS] Nintendo finds new uses for cardboard with Labo

Poll

Who's right about cardboard?

King Phony
4 (22.2%)
Buttz
14 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: [NEWS] Nintendo finds new uses for cardboard with Labo  (Read 4118 times)

cool this looks really neat

i feel like this could be either really cool or really lame

I got the impression they chose to use cardboard (as opposed to just manufacturing plastic tie-ins for the switch) because it is recyclable and sustainable. If they actually have to chop down trees for this product then they made a mistake imo.
recyclable doesn't mean sustainable. there's a reason "reduce" and "reuse" both come before "recycle"
if they are using post-consumer materials for this then it's marginally better but still wasteful because it will stop working the way it did or kids will get tired of using it and it'll get thrown away, in all likelihood not recycled except where recycling is mandatory

This is honestly cool, it's more of a toy than a game. I'm sold on the robot one.

This idea is actually really neat. It's an arts 'n craft & engineering project in the vein of the Lego Technic series or Lego Mindstorms combined with the uses and modularity of the Switch itself. I know if I was younger I'd be all over this stuff although I'm still interested in it despite being older.

The price is higher than I expected but I assume they have cover R&D costs rather than manufacturing costs. It's also supposed to come with 28x of cardboard which is a ton considering I was expecting to only come with like 6.

Big stickler here is the actual software. We don't know how it'll turn out in the end yet. They could be short tech demo games that are worth playing for 5 minutes or actual games with some game actually to them, who knows.

I'm sure this will go great, just like everything else Nintendo has been trying lately

recyclable doesn't mean sustainable.
I didn't say it did Night Fox  ;)

"instead of selling cheap plastic attachments for games lets just make those forgets build it themselves."

To be fair you can buy the game separately and download the cardboard designs online [1].

I wonder if it's special cardboard. Like a type that lasts longer.

This is honestly cool, it's more of a toy than a game. I'm sold on the robot one.
Holy stuff though you need like 6 joycons for it though. It looks like it has full body motion.
One on each foot, one on each hand, one on the back and one mounted on the head.
I feel like that would be really cool to even just try. But then I'd have to buy the game, the cardboard, and 2 more pairs of joycons.

Holy stuff though you need like 6 joycons for it though. It looks like it has full body motion.
One on each foot, one on each hand, one on the back and one mounted on the head.
I feel like that would be really cool to even just try. But then I'd have to buy the game, the cardboard, and 2 more pairs of joycons.
False, you only need 2 joy-cons for the robot kit. Everything else is cardboard at work.

Notice how there's rope going from the guy's legs and arms? They're on a pulley system inside the backpack which control a reflective surface when moved. The IR camera in the right joy-con sees this and uses that for the movement in the game.

False, you only need 2 joy-cons for the robot kit. Everything else is cardboard at work.

Notice how there's rope going from the guy's legs and arms? They're on a pulley system inside the backpack which control a reflective surface when moved. The IR camera in the right joy-con sees this and uses that for the movement in the game.
Oh, took a closer look, you're right. That's pretty cool then