Am I being DDoS'ed?

Author Topic: Am I being DDoS'ed?  (Read 856 times)

/title
My sent packets are 560 million and my received are 400 million, my internet just started acting up outta no where and I have no loving idea on whats going on.

over what period of time

idk what you mean by that
it just started happening

over what period of time were those packets sent and received numbers recorded
like was it at zero and you saw it go up or was it already high

not sure, just checked the modem a couple minutes ago and it said that. no times listed.
however shortly after logging into 192.168.0.1 I was randomly booted off. I did refresh my router yesterday though

ninja edit was just booted off again

I remember when I kept thinking the same (my router has bad logging) issue, didnt really kick me off but latency was so bad and it randomly spiked. My issue was the router receiving the packets internally, basically we use the comcast router for internet, but also have a powerful router laying around. I decided to turn off broadcasting on the comcast router and make the powerful router an AP router so it ports all traffic directly to the comcast router, not sure why this solution fixed the problem.

Do you have any extenders or more than 1 router?
I dont think the packet stuff is a problem, could be total packets from the beginning (doesnt reset even if router is unplugged)

Open command, try this:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

This was a temp solution for me till I found out my router was being complicated
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:01:25 AM by Kyuande »

/title
My sent packets are 560 million and my received are 400 million, my internet just started acting up outta no where and I have no loving idea on whats going on.

560/400 million packets is practically nothing if that count is rarely reset. You could easily get that in less than a month if you were constantly watching netflix and had a high download speed. A few months is more likely though.

560/400 million packets is practically nothing if that count is rarely reset. You could easily get that in less than a month if you were constantly watching netflix and had a high download speed. A few months is more likely though.
I refreshed my router just 2 days ago though..

likely no.
ddosing takes a lot of time and money to do, so unless someone really hates you in particular it's probably nothing.
think about these before thinking that you're getting ddosed;
  • 1. is my ip public or able to be found easily? (e.g. through a bl server)
  • 2. would anyone have any reason to ddos me? (such as pissing someone off)
  • 3. is the supposed attack happening to anyone else or just me? (think back to the bl server ddoser, they targeted anyone who was hosting blockland, not individuals)
  • 4. does resetting the router or changing the ip fix the problem temporarily or permanently?
  • 4.5. if it's still happening, could it just be a fault with the connection or router?

i also wanna add; a ddos attack on an individual would rarely last over 10 hours because that's a lotta time, money, and effort.

Are you sure the packet count resets?

Also if you are being DDoS'd it is actually more obvious than you think. Examples:
Internet is flickering out of nowhere
Takes longer to connect to a simple webpage
Ping is awfully high and spikes whenever

I have experienced ALL of these when someone was trying to take down my server, which is why I get a VPS from now on to host.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:01:12 PM by Kyuande »

• 1. is my ip public or able to be found easily? (e.g. through a bl server)
  • 2. would anyone have any reason to ddos me? (such as pissing someone off)
  • 3. is the supposed attack happening to anyone else or just me? (think back to the bl server ddoser, they targeted anyone who was hosting blockland, not individuals)
  • 4. does resetting the router or changing the ip fix the problem temporarily or permanently?
  • 4.5. if it's still happening, could it just be a fault with the connection or router?

i also wanna add; a ddos attack on an individual would rarely last over 10 hours because that's a lotta time, money, and effort.
1. Yes, it is on my Discord and the KSP megathread so people can join my server
2. I have pissed quite a few people off recently, don't think they would ddos tho
3. It happened to just me,
4. Havent tried yet

And for your ninja edit it only lasted a good 10 minutes

I wasnt trying to say I was being DDos'ed btw, just asking if these could be signs
Are you sure the packet count resets?

Also if you are being DDoS'd it is actually more obvious than you think. Examples:
Internet is flickering out of nowhere
Takes longer to connect to a simple webpage
Ping is awfully high and spikes whenever

I have experienced ALL of these when someone was trying to take down my server, which is why I get a VPS from now on to host.
Not too sure, but they should have if I renewed the router the other day. I couldn't connect to google, my laptop went down 3 times for no reason, and Battlefield 4 was lagging a stuff ton (more than it normally does for me)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:03:20 PM by Darth C3P0² »

I refreshed my router just 2 days ago though..
but what does "refresh" mean? Does that reset the counter?

Anyways, if you actually want to see how fast data is being transfered to your router (since "packets" is ambiguous because you aren't told the average bytes per packet), you need to find if there's a "bytes received" area that you can view. You copy the number, wait a set amount of time (like an hour), then you copy the new number, and subtract the two to get an average number of bytes received per hour.

You can then compare this number to the internet speed you can get.

@Darth, as my post above, those are the usual signs. If anything the person sending info to you is very small to affect your traffic.

Your computer turning off isnt a sign, just something funky.

Who is your ISP? Have you tried anything different? Resetting the router to factory?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:06:48 PM by Kyuande »

but what does "refresh" mean? Does that reset the counter?

Anyways, if you actually want to see how fast data is being transfered to your router (since "packets" is ambiguous because you aren't told the average bytes per packet), you need to find if there's a "bytes received" area that you can view. You copy the number, wait a set amount of time (like an hour), then you copy the new number, and subtract the two to get an average number of bytes received per hour.

You can then compare this number to the internet speed you can get.
I meant renewed by refresh

Since the CenturyLink Menu is so small and gay, I haven't been able to find the average packets
@Darth, as my post above, those are the usual signs. If anything the person sending info to you is very small to affect your traffic.

Your computer turning off isnt a sign, just something funky.

Who is your ISP? Have you tried anything different? Resetting the router to factory?
I said the wifi on my computer wasn't working, not that it turned off.

My ISP is CenutryLink, and I have not tried to reset the router. I will release the router later tonight while everyone is sleeping and then try and see what is going on

Also, just checked the info, I appear to have received an extra 40 million packets overnight, no TV or anything on
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:11:40 PM by Darth C3P0² »