Author Topic: Is anyone here good with audio .wavs and Unreal engine 2.5?  (Read 1000 times)

So this is a very tricky type of thread since I'm using an engine that is extremely outdated but I love UT2004 and I make mods for it whenever there are characters no one has made for it yet. For example, I ported JC Denton into UT2004 with custom sounds. However recently I've been noticing that UT2004's engine only allows .Wav sounds in mono format. Most of the time I'm getting the sounds from either gmod or the internet but when using the sounds in game they sound really silent compared to other sounds that I've used before.

Most sounds I am taking are in either .mp3 format or .Wav (not mono) and I have to convert these to the mono format that Unreal engine accepts, I convert them using Sony vegas pro 13 (because it can render the sounds in the format) but some sounds are really silent. Is there anyway I can make the sounds louder? so I can actually hear them in game? please help if you can

I'm not sure this will help much but try using Audacity, I've had no problems porting stereo to mono.

I'm not sure this will help much but try using Audacity, I've had no problems porting stereo to mono.
I'm going to try and test this. In Audacity is there a way to turn up the volume of a sound?

It's in the "Effect" tab, you click Amplify but for me, even when I selected a part of the song it didn't light up, so I'm not sure if it will work.

using audacity, look at these settings on the left

in the drop down menu on the top (where the track's name is), select "split stereo to mono"
also, if you want to turn up the volume, change the slider with the - and +. this will change the gain.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 03:36:59 PM by Mr Queeba »

no you fool it's "Stereo Track to Mono" not "split stereo to mono"
if you split it instead of merging it then you'll lose part of the sound if it's got some panning stuff going on. this is important for converting music

if you split it instead of merging it then you'll lose part of the sound if it's got some panning stuff going on. this is important for converting music

holy crap ive been using split stereo to mono whenever i was making music mono
i did not know this at all

[img ]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/147168899933143040/405882652030271498/unknown.png[/img]
I've done both methods, and they end up exactly the same, no matter what kind of stereo audio i use it with, even if there's more audio in one side than there is in the other, the quality, sounds, and waveforms end up exactly the same

Doing 'Stereo Track to Mono' is just a quicker way of doing that than splitting the stereo track, merging it, and normalizing the audio level

In theory, if certain tracks in the audio are panned strictly to one side, you'd lose out on that by not keeping them merged, no?

I've done both methods, and they end up exactly the same, no matter what kind of stereo audio i use it with, even if there's more audio in one side than there is in the other, the quality, sounds, and waveforms end up exactly the same

Doing 'Stereo Track to Mono' is just a quicker way of doing that than splitting the stereo track, merging it, and normalizing the audio level
not exactly no
"stereo to mono" does (track A + track B) / 2.
your method of splitting then mixing does (track A + track B), without the / 2, which means things can start to clip, which means you then have to go through even more extra steps to amplify to exactly the right amount, etc etc etc

I mean, of course the method of doing it manually would have more steps than the method that does everything at once, i did mention having to normalize the volume of the track as clipping is to be expected when merging the two mono tracks together

But yes, 'Stereo Track to Mono' does have a reliable method of adjusting the volume, which saves you the trouble of having to do it yourself

using audacity, look at these settings on the left

also, if you want to turn up the volume, change the slider with the - and +. this will change the gain.

Thanks this helped so much, my sounds are better ingame now. Locking