Author Topic: Redshell Spyware [civ 6, total war, and more affected]  (Read 3165 times)

OHstuff I HAVE SNIPER GHOST WARRIOR

its funny because even if you remove redshell you're still using steam which already does exactly the same thing and basically records all your ip and screen resolution info. redshell does the exact same thing as steam's brown townytics recording except its a different company

Seeing as you glossed over the reddit thread, I'll let you absorb this.

Normally you'd think Valve would have this information gathering built into the Steam client and share it with publishers, but Valve doesnt share this data (or if they do, not enough) to said publishers/developers anyway, thusly the benefit of using a 3rd-party service that everyone else is using.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

This is the extent of what Steam does.
It's also something you agree to while installing the software. And I'm pretty sure it even asks you if you want to participate or not in a little pop-up.
Redshell has no agreement, and runs regardless if you want it to or not, and has no indication whatsoever that it's included or not.

its funny because even if you remove redshell you're still using steam which already does exactly the same thing and basically records all your ip and screen resolution info. redshell does the exact same thing as steam's brown townytics recording except its a different company
steam isn't brown townyzing my hardware to advertise games to me though

forget i have quake champions

tho i dont have it installed so im probably fine