Author Topic: Quick math question  (Read 1075 times)

My brain is doing a dumb

If you have |x|≥8
That's the same thing as  x≥8 and x≤-8
But is -8≥x≥8 the same thing as the line above?

If you have |x|≥8
That's the same thing as  x≥8 and x≤-8
no
x≥8 and x≤-8
yes
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:04:05 PM by Kevso »

no
but isnt that like the expanded form or something if you were to go and try to solve for the inequality?

but isnt that like the expanded form or something if you were to go and try to solve for the inequality?
Honestly idek I took math a while ago and I don't remember much. I'm just throwing out guesses.

If you have |x|≥8
yes. think about this as distance from the origin along the x axis, if you shade a graph of |x| >= 8 that means its at least 8 away (i.e. exactly what you have written)

i mean i guess technically yes? but no one writes it this way in actual math because if you graph it out you're describing two separate intervals, (-inf, -8] and [8, inf) which makes more sense as two separate inequalities. we would use an expression like that for something like |x| <= 8.

this is giving me flashbacks to high school algebra i didn't want

x is gonna equal me kicking your ass.

no
yes
it's exactly the opposite of what kevso said here

yes, |x|≥8 is exactly the same as x≤-8 and x≥8
|x|≥8 would be all the numbers on the number line that you can plug in for x and still get something greater than or equal to 8. that's

no, -8≥x≥8 is exactly the opposite from x≤-8 and x≥8
-8≥x≥8 would be all the numbers on the number line between and including -8 and 8. x≤-8 and x≥8 is pretty much the opposite, except in both cases you include 8 and -8.

quick edit:
ok, i thought i misread something because i wouldn't expect placid to answer yes for the second question
yeah,
i mean i guess technically yes? but no one writes it this way in actual math because if you graph it out you're describing two separate intervals, (-inf, -8] and [8, inf) which makes more sense as two separate inequalities. we would use an expression like that for something like |x| <= 8.
this is right and i'm wrong
in fact the reason why they probably don't write -8≥x≥8 is because it'd be so easily confused for -8≤x≤8, which is exactly what i just did
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:14:58 AM by .:FancyPants:. »

Ok thanks. My teacher is weird and was like "I want it in the combined form not two separate inequalities"

this is giving me flashbacks to high school algebra i didn't want
how can you have flashbacks to the future