do you collect / listen to vinyl?

Author Topic: do you collect / listen to vinyl?  (Read 3601 times)

asking this as i was surprised to find out that 7 of my friends also collect vinyls and thats its a thing thats slowly coming back

if so post your collection, i have the following:

i also have a wishlist of stuff i hope to get in the near or distant future:

Code: [Select]
Cities Aviv - Come to Life
Mac Demarco - Salad Days
George Clanton - 100% Electronica [RARE - LIMITED TO 300 COPIES]
George Clanton - 200% Electronica [LESS RARE - LIMITED TO 1000 COPIES]
Mac Demarco - This Old Dog
Washed Out - Life of Leisure
The Clash - Combat Rock
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:57:21 AM by JumboMuffin »

I have a small vinyl collection - like 15 records or something.
I have 100s of CDs though. They are cheaper, still is fun going to record stores and picking out CDs.

I have 100s of CDs though. They are cheaper, still is fun going to record stores and picking out CDs.
yeah thats also the upside to cds, my local record store had some radiohead ones for only £3 whereas the vinyls were £17.99
my dads vinyl collection is enormous, sure he has at least 300 records at home. he gave some others to his sister (who also collects) before he moved to england. most impressive is a first edition stereo vinyl of the beatles revolver album worth lots that my granddad bought in paris when it first came out

nightschool gud
yeah the discs are both translucent yellow and it comes with a cool slipmat
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:52:35 AM by JumboMuffin »

I have a small vinyl collection - like 15 records or something.
I also collect CDs, I like that they provide lossless MP3s and (most importantly) I can play them really loud through my home stereo
have a low quality pic

most valuable items are promotional copies of albums by Bjork, Atari Teenage Riot, Panda Bear, and Avey Tare
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:36:20 PM by Mega-Bear »

my cousin has one from 1912 which he bought for a dollar

man why would you buy vinyl for any material that was made past like 1980

man why would you buy vinyl for any material that was made past like 1980

it's the physical tangible aspect of it. if you're buying newly released stuff, you're directly contributing to your favorite artists rather than streaming a track from spotify and them getting only a few cents a play. plus like, there's no DRM.

i was actually in a heated debate on this because i love streaming movies because i don't have to deal with bluray menus and bullstuff i can't skip just to watch a movie. with music, i pop my CD in or spin a record and there's no bullstuff to it.

on the subject of vinyl, i have at exactly ~61 records (didn't catalog some recent purchases at some brick and motar stores i went to recently). i have them all cataloged in my discogs collection here: https://www.discogs.com/user/TomTheGeek/collection

Yes although most of mine are second hand some are in near mint condition and still have the shrink wrap

I got a deal at a garage sale of like 100+ records for like 10$ most aren't worth playing but I got them mainly for art projects

I know it's bad speaker placement because good vibrations but I don't have room right now to switch it up
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:59:16 PM by Mardalf »

it's the physical tangible aspect of it. if you're buying newly released stuff, you're directly contributing to your favorite artists rather than streaming a track from spotify and them getting only a few cents a play. plus like, there's no DRM.

i was actually in a heated debate on this because i love streaming movies because i don't have to deal with bluray menus and bullstuff i can't skip just to watch a movie. with music, i pop my CD in or spin a record and there's no bullstuff to it.

no yeah I get this, I do this myself

what I'm wondering is why you'd buy vinyl for an album where a good chunk of the instruments are just computer samples (as opposed to older albums where all the noise is brown townog)

what I'm wondering is why you'd buy vinyl for an album where a good chunk of the instruments are just computer samples (as opposed to older albums where all the noise is brown townog)

i still get my mp3 copies i won't lie. some artists (jack white, most of daft punk's ram, etc) were all done in studio with digital recording (or if you're jack white totally brown townog.)

plus vinyl is mostly 48000hz 24bit audio. masters are usually better. cds/mp3s are usually 16bit 41000hz. the only records i ever buy are albums that changed my life for the better. every album/single i have has some life connection to it. some of my records i sold because i didn't have that much of a connection plus my tastes change.

i will say, most of my vinyl is ambient electronic or rap. i love rap records, it's the essential way to enjoy classic albums like licensed to ill, or even some newer stuff like mf doom. plus with beastie boys, that stuff was originally released on vinyl and was all samples. you can call that "computerized" way before FL Studio/Ableton/Pro Tools.

another edit: i gotta add some records to my discogs, i bought some in the past year and a half and totally forgot to add it to my collection. good examples are kanye west's yeezus (never was on vinyl, some german dude did a unofficial pressing) and yello's stella (the OH YEAH song in ferris bueller, c'mon that was a good 5 dollar find at half price books)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:49:56 PM by TomTheGeek² »

I have Anais Mitchell - Hadestown and a bunch of classical, because that's what I mostly find around here and I don't have a lot of money to spend on a vinyl collection.

I have Anais Mitchell - Hadestown and a bunch of classical, because that's what I mostly find around here and I don't have a lot of money to spend on a vinyl collection.
any good classical? I've got a 3 hour compilation of Varese that I love to blast when I'm in the mood to dissociate and enter a realm of horror. also got some Chopin and Reich if I'm feelin mellow

any good classical? I've got a 3 hour compilation of Varese that I love to blast when I'm in the mood to dissociate and enter a realm of horror. also got some Chopin and Reich if I'm feelin mellow
Mostly Bach and Beethoven. There's also a little bit of Tchaikovsky. I wish I could find a better selection, but it seems the people around here are very boring.