How can someone be diagnosed with depression?

Author Topic: How can someone be diagnosed with depression?  (Read 4511 times)

i think the most close minded forumer award goes to OP tbh

hi resident depressed child here
it’s done using the DSM-5, which they generally ask overall questions and more in-depth, and if you fall into a certain classification, then you’re considered either majorly or minorly depressed
majorly depressive disorder is usually where you show the signs of depression for several weeks instead for a couple of days (normally), etc
because they are mentally scarred from a traumatic incident and affects their mood negatively for the rest of their timespam
not really. it can develop from anything. that’s more PTSD.
Depression is a very real and serious mental disease. It's been watered down by people memeing on it and saying "i want to die" ironically or over silly stuff or something similar. It also gets downplayed by a lot of people who are uneducated on it, and some people try and self diagnose themselves with depression or any other mental disease they don't know about.

As for why the medication and diagnosis is typically easy to get from some doctors, is something i don't understand very well myself.

However if you do want an alternative to going to a doctor (which i would suggest, and ask about the different kinds of test they can run for it, if you do go.), then i would recommend counseling. It's still a good idea to go to counseling even if you have anti-depressants anyhow.
meh, the more you stigmatize it and make it seem like this super serious disorder, the harder it is to talk about it freely, and develop a coping circle of those who also suffer from it. counseling isn’t a catchall either, i’ve gone to way many and they’ve done stuff for me, but, ymmv. self-diagnosing though, holy stuff, this infuriates me.
coping mechanism
is very true tho

its a fake condition anyways. anyone can be diagnosed with it.
this is mainly because all of the tumblrettes claim to have it when they actually don’t— all they really want is attention. however,  it does actually exist, and, i suffer from severely so watch ur tongue kiddo

professionally trained psychiatrists are professionally trained psychiatrists
people should trust professionally trained psychiatrists and not tumblr blogs made by people who are not professionally trained psychiatrists
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:35:21 AM by simpletonnn »

How can someone you barely know label you with a mental illnes. The only one who knows you is you yourself.

I mean, your brain isn't made of magic. It's an organ in your body, just like the heart, the lungs, and the liver, and just like the heart/lungs/liver, it's prone to becoming ill and functioning incorrectly.

You wouldn't say this if a cardiologist told you your heart was unhealthy. What's different about a psychologist?

Doctors get money from selling stuff. If they label you you’ll by more stuff. More doctors label more people so they buy more stuff, and doctors get more money.

Doctors get money from selling stuff. If they label you you’ll by more stuff. More doctors label more people so they buy more stuff, and doctors get more money.
Gothboy alt detected

this is mainly because all of the tumblrettes claim to have it when they actually don’t— all they really want is attention. however,  it does actually exist, and, i suffer from severely so watch ur tongue kiddo
bisjac's entire forum persona relies on counter-culture and edgy opinions its best to ignore him

Depression isn't actually real. Just like OCD.

Depression isn't actually real. Just like OCD.
Vaccines cause Depression.

Depression is a real thing, and it's kinda one of those things you have to experience yourself to really understand.

I don't want to go for the bait of some user's opinions here, but seeing depression/mental disorders written off as attention whore tactics is really grinding my gears.

but seeing depression/mental disorders written off as attention whore tactics is really grinding my gears.

i mean nobodies ever used depression as an attention seeking tactic right

no person with depression will pass up an opportunity to tell you about it and earn themselves some "excuse from succeeding in life" points.
and take their drugs that dont even work because no one has ever been helped by antidepressants.

no person with depression will pass up an opportunity to tell you about it and earn themselves some "excuse from succeeding in life" points.
and take their drugs that dont even work because no one has ever been helped by antidepressants.

you seem pretty certain about these wrong opinions