YouTube's demonetization is legitimately driving away one of my subscriptions

Author Topic: YouTube's demonetization is legitimately driving away one of my subscriptions  (Read 7057 times)

I'm posting this so that we all know what the true ramifications of this "#Adpocalypse" are. Any time someone says the Youtube's demonetization spree is not a big deal I'm going to link them to this topic and you should too. I doubt this would even be covered on other sites, but since I'm subscribed to this guy I'm going to spread this story as far as I can and I hope you do too because this is loving sickening.

So I don't know how many of you are familiar with ZNA Productions. He's like JoergSprave and michaelcthulhu, someone who makes weapons in their garage/shed for fun and for demo tests. ZNA Productions's weapons, however, have an "apoc" bent, being usually made of diamond plating and the like. He's made some pretty badass stuff, like ice-skate wristblades and a shield that can electrocute things it bumps up against. I've been using his armor for references for drawing bandits because of how great it looks.

ZNA is a one-man team, Eli, who makes all the things and edits the videos together of him doing it. This means that he releases on a weekly schedule, unless something goes wrong, in which case he usually releases it a few weeks later. Again, he's a one-man team. All of his videos are actually pretty relaxing to watch because of how he edits them. None of the videos have swearing in them and there are only a couple videos with gore. His catch-phrase is literally "heck". This is important because of the parade YouTube has taken him on.

Let's get right down to business. He posted this video yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRwEU6tOEtc

Entitled "We're Just Not Safe Here Anymore", talking about both YouTube and their real-life location.
Here's the TL;DR for the video if you can't sit and watch an eight-minute video:

A couple months ago, Eli made a crossbow in his garage and made a video on it. It took him two weeks of hard work and a week of editing and the building all took place in a garage with no insulation, meaning he was working in below 30-degree-Fahrenheit temperatures and had to take breaks. Upon uploading the video, it was immediately demonetized. Due to this, the sequel video finalizing the build was a sarcastic jab by him at the moderators, with all the times he said "crossbow" in the video being replaced by a jarring sound clip of him saying "toy". Upon releasing the video, nothing happened. Three months later, however, Eli got an email from YouTube saying that they had looked at his video and found it okay for monetization, even though it was already making money. The night before making his most recent video, however, he got ANOTHER email from YouTube saying that they had looked at his video AGAIN and had decided it was NOT suitable for advertisers. YouTube's decisions on whether something is monetizable in ZNA Productions's case seems to exclusively be "either it's demonetized or it WILL be monetized after the massive influx of views that would make up the majority of the incoming profits".

Worse, Eli is worried that YouTube is going to become a place where he can't even post his content. He is not a wealthy guy: in fact, he's quite poor. He was able to buy a moderately-sized house with his fiance/wife/girlfriend for supposedly $250k a few months ago, but because of this incident if YouTube decided to delete his channel, even if he and his girlfriend got jobs they'd barely be able to pay for their mortgage and wouldn't be able to pay for anything else besides that. They wouldn't be able to even feed their cats.

What does this mean? It means that Eli's going to have to go to trade school and take a job as a serviceman like a plumber, electrician, etc, meaning less videos. It also means that the couple is selling the house. The same house that they made several videos on showing off renovations they were doing to make it their own, they are now going to sell because of the way YouTube is treating them. So yes, the thread title is 100% accurate. ZNA Productions is being forced away from YouTube.

By looking at his channel stats, this should not be happening. ZNA Productions has over a million subscribers. The channel's views have been on a consistent upward trend for months. It's ridiculous how much money they're actually earning compared to what they SHOULD be earning. In comparison, Skallagrim and Lindybeige, two channels I'm also subscribed to and two channels who put out very similar content to ZNA Productions (weapons/demos), both have fewer subscribers and Lindybeige, in particular, has only a smidgeon more views than ZNA Productions yet both channels make SUBSTANTIALLY more money. You could say that's only an estimate but both Skalla and Lindy have not been openly worried about finances like Eli has so I beg to differ. You can look at the comparisons here. It's loving jarring.

So yeah. Good job, YouTube, you're actually driving away creators because of how loving handicapped you are. I'm actually pissed right now. I'm not just sitting back in my chair laughing my ass off like other times. This is actually infuriating.

motherloving /discuss
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:27:01 PM by Tactical Nuke »

It forgets with people's livelihood from an ivory tower. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with these people?

i occasionally watch zna and like his content, but one word:
forget

Remember when youtube was just about pooping animals and people getting hit in the balls?

Me neither.

Youtube is loving cancer.
So yeah. Good job, YouTube, you're actually driving away creators because of how loving handicapped you are. I'm actually pissed right now. I'm not just sitting back in my chair laughing my ass off like other times. This is actually infuriating.
itt: shooting the messenger

he got ANOTHER email from YouTube saying that they had looked at his video AGAIN and had decided it was NOT suitable for advertisers.
so what do you expect youtube to do, continue paying the content creator even though they decided finally it was not suitable for advertisers?

itt: shooting the messenger
itt: stop over trivializing the issue and going "its free hurr" and other stupid brainlet bullstuff as if this stuff is okay

forget off you arent helping and never have

just use patreon then??

itt: stop over trivializing the issue and going "its free hurr" and other stupid brainlet bullstuff as if this stuff is okay

thats literally the core of the issue. how do you expect a company to pay people more than it earns? probably one of the most brainlet ideals to come out of these types of 'i hate youtube!!! threads' is that youtube should be paying everyone continuously because money grows on trees. nobody even denies it either, its just "im angry that youtube refuses to pay someone who made something" as if youtube can afford to pay everyone at once based on merit

if the ad company refuses to pay youtube, youtube has no choice but to refuse to pay the content creator IF THEY WANT A NET GAIN THAT YEAR. if you libtardians want to be mad at someone, be mad at the companies paying youtube. and even that's in own issue, because companies have the right to do what they want with their own money

classic inh-esque flaming to avoid having to pose a substantial argument
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:52:42 PM by thegoodperry »

Legit every channel I've seen that started using patreon has been working out fine.

just use patreon then??

he does have a patreon and he sells hoodies and t-shirts but I didn't want to post those here because that'd be against the rules

probably one of the most brainlet ideals to come out of these types of 'i hate youtube!!! threads' is that youtube should be paying everyone continuously because money grows on trees

well content creators have always earned a small portion of the money YouTube makes from advertising on their videos, youtube isn't really paying anyone, they're just letting you have a small slice of your pie and taking the rest for overhead. the problem isn't that YouTube isn't earning enough money to pay people, it's that YouTube is directly cutting off those venues for revenue entirely, and it's bad for everyone involved. it's just totally needless.

i mean, youtube recently implemented a couple policies that involve users being required to have a certain amount of views and subs before they can even monetize their videos. the WSJ stuff has long since been solved by these policies. but YouTube is still implementing this ridiculous nuclear sweeping demonetization scheme that takes the load off of them at the cost of destroying small channels, because, to be honest, if YouTube isn't making a substantial amount of dosh off your channel, they likely just don't care whether or not you get demonetized.

There's no real reason why someone at youtube couldn't check ZNA's channel, determine that it wasn't actually malicious or tribal stuff, and just greenlight his channel. it's not about ensuring a profit, they just don't care and don't want to put in the effort to make sure that malicious content is actually getting filtered out and that good content, that creators rely on for their livelihoods, isn't getting demonetized.

realistically speaking, I can't actually get mad at Pepsi for pulling their ads out of youtube because their stuff showed up on some tribal stuffty video because if I was an advertiser I wouldn't want that to happen either. but I can get mad at YouTube for not taking the most basic steps towards quality assurance. There's certainly a balance here between implementing this insane AI network that just goes out and nukes everything it even remotely suspects as being advertiser unfriendly (and simultaneously offering 0 recourse for false flags) and monetizing videos that are literally titled "chief keef dances to alabama monday", and it's kinda up to youtube to get it right, since it is their platform.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:16:27 PM by Rally »

alabama monday is a song title tbf

alabama monday is a song title tbf
of a johnny rebel song, so still tribal