how do you make RPG combat fun

Author Topic: how do you make RPG combat fun  (Read 1449 times)

i'm absolutely stumped on how to make RPG combat fun without involving some sort of minigame within combat, like how Paper Mario or Undertale do their combat
because there's really no way to give the player a test of skill by giving them a set of buttons and an infinite amount of time to choose between them as far as I can tell
so it really comes down to level, equipment, whether the player knows how to fight that kind of enemy, and whether RNGesus wants them to win the fight
all of which is either A, out of the player's control, or B, something that the player can change by grinding

Realtime combat backed up with stats> turnbased combat drawn out because of stats...

did you read the OP? i'm not asking about realtime combat or your opinion on what system is better. the language i'm using doesn't allow for realtime combat, it can only do things when the user clicks a button.

change it to rocket-propelled grenade combat instead!!

but if u can't rly change how the combat itself works, maybe make the random chances minimal and have more of an emphasis on strategy by making certain moves work better on certain types of enemies, perhaps to go deeper into it maybe even certain types of enemies after they used certain types of moves or something. to prevent spamming the same move i guess u could make them use mana or use some other mechanic that kinda forces u to use other things too
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:36:36 PM by gr8dayseth »

the only way to make the typical final fantasy / pokemon rpg combat fun is to either introduce some gimmick into it or to remove it entirely

Gimmick example: mother 3 uses an interesting gimmick where pressing the A button in tune with the music beat allows you to chain attack, which is a good addition because it completely removes the whole 'just keep pressing A to win' mechanic. you can still basically win by pressing A but using the rhythm mechanic is actually pretty fun and it gives you an advantage, especially in boss battles.

Removal example: the 1-dimensional rpg combat where you simply target an enemy and choose to attack them isn't fun in any way. Some games remove this rpg battle system entirely and opt for more meaningful mechanics. A good example would be fire emblem, which is basically an rpg game slapped on top of a turn based 2d combat system. It works well but the depth of the gameplay is sort of removed to make room for the rpg mechanics like leveling up and character development. The tactics genre (Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre) is another example of 2d turn based combat. They have almost no depth besides deciding where to move and how that will affect the battle. Games like Advance Wars handle depth better than those

tldr; rpg combat isn't fun. you can either improve it slightly which will possibly make it fun for like 5-10 times before it gets boring, or you can remove it entirely and opt for a different combat mechanic, like 2d turn based strategy, or real time bullet hell stuff, or whatever
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:48:47 PM by thegoodperry »

Mario & Luigi combat where your attacks and dodges are enacted by timed button presses and actions in way done much better than Paper Mario.

You could theoretically fight any enemy or boss at any level without taking any damage with the way the system is set up. The flow of the battle mainly relies on the player's skill rather than just stats and rng.

Also its good to do what fallout does, which is scale encounter difficulty based on the player's level. it means that all the difficulty and skill comes from how you execute your special abilities rather than how many extra damage points you have compared to your enemy. it also means you dont have to grind, since the game automatically adjusts its difficulty to your level

Keep adding explosives and it eventually becomes fun.... Right?

Just make all combat like Dark Souls tbh.

tbh i thought the combat in lisa: the painful and its fangames were fun where WASD make you do certain attacks and doing certain combos make you do a special attack. of course it ur choice but that seemed like a pretty fun system

tbh i thought the combat in lisa: the painful and its fangames were fun where WASD make you do certain attacks and doing certain combos make you do a special attack. of course it ur choice but that seemed like a pretty fun system
and then losing limbs means losing combos and abilities too