Author Topic: avengers infinity war spoilers thread (uncensored, so)  (Read 4226 times)

Thanos's plan to fix stuff by killing half the universe is loving handicapped and makes no sense

Thanos's plan to fix stuff by killing half the universe is loving handicapped and makes no sense
It's a pretty basic principle to follow I thought. He's against overpopulation due to what happened on Titan, so he wants to cull half the universe. What's not to get?

It's a pretty basic principle to follow I thought. He's against overpopulation due to what happened on Titan, so he wants to cull half the universe. What's not to get?
Why not wish for more resources?

you think its canon that in fortnite where 98% of the worlds population vanished was actually killed by thanos? i mean, there was a thanos gamemode...

thanos probably killed the dinosaurs back in prehistoric times. thats much more plausible than a meteor strike lol

overpopulation shtick was a cop-out

they didn't have the balls to write in Death

The fact that it wouldn't work.
Halving every intelligent population in the Universe wouldn't halve the carrying capacity of the planet*, so the population would immediately start exponentially growing again back to its former value. For example, the doubling time for the human population is about 40 years. So Thanos hasn't solved anything - just delayed the problem by a few decades and murdered half the Universe in the process.

Overpopulation is an exaggerated issue. The UN expects the human population to level off at around 12 billion as time continues, as death rates and birth rates come into alignment and developing countries catch up to developed ones. We don't need a Thanos-style event to stop exponential growth, because (in addition to not working), there's already a limit to population growth called the carrying capacity.

* If it did, his plan would be even more pointless, because the population would be just as big of a fraction of carrying capacity, and no problems would be solved.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:18:51 PM by TristanLuigi »

The fact that it wouldn't work.
Halving every intelligent population in the Universe wouldn't halve the carrying capacity of the planet, so the population would immediately start exponentially growing again back to its former value. For example, the doubling time for the human population is about 40 years. So Thanos hasn't solved anything - just delayed the problem by a few decades and murdered half the Universe in the process.
yea thats the point. he killed half the universe and took a break for 40 years. then when the time comes again when people overpopulate he'll just snap his finger again and it'll be over (f the gauntlet wasnt destroyed...)

its such a simple solution. the only thing it requires is someone to snap their fingers continuously

it's just a stupid plan. 50 years later it'll be back where it was (depending on location, but basically the fact is anywhere that is facing problems with overpopulation is also going to have a high growth rate, and suddenly losing literally half of the population is most definitely not going to slow it down). statistically speaking, if he wasn't chosen in the 50% the first time, then he would be the second, if the stones are even still functional
also yeah. if you have access to literally unlimited amounts of energy and presumably the ability to create new matter, it would be pretty trivial to just make everything sustainable rather than literally killing half of everyone

ALSO, wtf are the chances of all six stones being in the milky way? honestly. do you have any idea how many galaxies there are in the universe. I mean the obvious answer is that it's a damn comic book series and they really just can't be forgeted with that sort of realism but jesus

What makes him the hero villain is that he believes in his over simplified solution to a complex problem. To minimize the amount of suffering and conflict, he decided he should just reduce the amount of people that would cause or be affected by it. An infinite population with infinite energy and resources can only make more suffering. Not saying he is right which he is, just playing devil's advocate here.

you're confusing the infinity stones with the dragon balls

you're confusing the infinity stones with the dragon balls
The Infinity Stones are capable of basically making you a god. He could have granted every civilization a source of infinite energy and food if he wanted.

ALSO, wtf are the chances of all six stones being in the milky way? honestly. do you have any idea how many galaxies there are in the universe. I mean the obvious answer is that it's a damn comic book series and they really just can't be forgeted with that sort of realism but jesus
I tried thinking of a defense for this, but... yeah. You're right.

The Infinity Stones are capable of basically making you a god. He could have granted every civilization a source of infinite energy and food if he wanted.
keyword "wish"