[NEWS] Senate votes to save Net Neutrality

Author Topic: [NEWS] Senate votes to save Net Neutrality  (Read 7664 times)

you mean to tell me that every twitter and facebook post or a HUGE, HUGE chunk of the social media isn't crying and killing themselves not because of the mere threat of repealing NN? ok
Dude, how is this so hard to understand? They're making a big deal about NN because it matters and it promotes a free and open Internet marketplace, where services can't bribe carriers to get themselves preferential treatment, and carriers can't extort services to prevent them from being throttled. The FunnyJunk (by the way, seriously? FunnyJunk? whatever) post addresses something else entirely - privacy. The thing that NN isn't about. The FunnyJunk post doesn't even mention the actual problems with NN repeal.

so yeah, an idiot
I don't think I understand what you're saying exactly

They're making a big deal about NN because it matters and it promotes a free and open Internet marketplace,

so something very similar to the subject of "privacy" and your internet privacy being sold by ISPs, gotcha

The FunnyJunk post doesn't even mention the actual problems with NN repeal.
(by the way, seriously? FunnyJunk? whatever)

i'm not going to continue this if you're going to obnoxiously dismiss the website and what it's talking about, especially if you're posting way too fast and not even reading the article thoroughly. construct an actual argument when you're done reading or i'm just going to go ahead and realize most of the people here are just unable to read before judging

a chunk of the people are worried about their privacy and data being sold because of this repeal adjacent to the internet marketplace, which is what it only covers, never mentioned anything else otherwise
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:01:19 PM by Køtt »

so something very similar to the subject of "privacy" and your internet privacy being sold by ISPs, gotcha
Uh... no? You're accusing me of being unable to read, but you seem to think that "consumer privacy" and "fair marketplaces" are the same thing.

i'm not going to continue this if you're going to blatantly dismiss the website and what it's talking about, especially if you're posting way too fast and not even reading the article thoroughly. construct an actual argument when you're done reading or i'm just going to go ahead and realize most of the people here are just unable to read before judging

I'm sorry that you have to read so slowly that it takes you more than a minute or so to read through a forum reply before responding to it. In any case, I did actually read the post you linked.

loving hell, talk about projection, by the way. "You aren't reading anything I posted or actually formulating a counterargument! I quit!" all while refusing to acknowledge my argument that the FJ post doesn't address the most commonly-cited problem with NN repeal. The FJ post isn't wrong when it says that repealing NN doesn't harm privacy, but that isn't why people oppose NN repeal.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:04:11 PM by TristanLuigi »

a chunk of the people are worried about their privacy and data being sold because of this repeal adjacent to the internet marketplace, which is what it only covers, never mentioned anything else otherwise

I'm sorry that you have to read so slowly that it takes you more than a minute or so to read through a forum reply before responding to it.

this is like a body of text that's trying to lure you into one subject and the other, it's not some stuffty simple article you see on the news

but sure, keep on making fun of me for my reading pace

The FJ post isn't wrong when it says that repealing NN doesn't harm privacy, but that isn't why people oppose NN repeal.

i so beg to differ from what i've seen
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:06:06 PM by Køtt »

this is like a body of text that's trying to lure you into one subject and the other, it's not some stuffty simple article you see on the news

but sure, keep on making fun of me for my reading pace

i so beg to differ from what i've seen
Alright, what are you trying to lure me into saying here? That NN repeal doesn't threaten your privacy? Because you're right, it doesn't. And people who oppose NN for that reason and that reason alone aren't informed about the issue. But that doesn't mean everyone opposed to NN repeal is just fearmongering, which seems to be what you're getting at, because they are much better reasons to oppose it.

EDIT: You, or the FJ post, may also be conflating NN repeal with a different piece of legislation, which removed restrictions requiring that ISPs get your explicit permission before selling data. This is a privacy concern, as it can lead to an increase in targeted ads and aggregate data collection. However, the FJ post is correct in that selling individually identifiable data is still illegal.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:12:22 PM by TristanLuigi »

yes, exactly, and if you think i'm saying /everyone/ does it solely for the sake of fearmongering, you're also clearly wrong, i don't know why you've assumed that from the start. i simply was citing that it's actually very different than the dumb fearmongering going on as i see not just on the forum but everywhere else

but on the side where people will have mental breakdowns and amplify this type of fearmongering, i see it very commonly (i surf more than the forums, what a surprise!)

not every person hates the repeal because their reasons come from fearmongering alone, but there are simpletons who will clearly dramatize such things like i've seen long ago when this subject started (despite any rightie trolls or leftie trolls btw)

That's part 1 of your "source." It then proceeds to go into an conspiracy theory-style rant

why do you people apply "conspiracy theory-style" or "conspiracy theory" to everything that sounds extremely odd to you?

yes, exactly, and if you think i'm saying everyone does it solely for the sake of fearmongering, you're also clearly wrong, i don't know why you've assumed that from the start. i simply was citing that it's actually very different than the dumb fearmongering going on as i see not just on the forum but everywhere else

but on the side where people will have mental breakdowns and amplify this type of fearmongering, i see it very commonly (i surf more than the forums, what a surprise!)

not every person hates the repeal because their reasons come from fearmongering alone, but there are simpletons who will clearly dramatize such things like i've seen long ago when this subject started (despite any rightie trolls or leftie trolls btw)
Alright, so obviously some people have been fearmongered into opposing NN repeal, but that isn't really an argument in favor of repealing it. It just means that there are idiots out there. What a surprise! There are idiots everywhere. Also, you may have missed this edit:
EDIT: You, the FJ post, or pro-NN campaigners may also be conflating NN repeal with a different piece of legislation, which removed restrictions requiring that ISPs get your explicit permission before selling data. This is a privacy concern, as it can lead to an increase in targeted ads and aggregate data collection. However, the FJ post is correct in that selling individually identifiable data is still illegal.
Personally, I find targeted advertising to be distasteful and a violation of my privacy, though I recognize that at this point it's very common.

why do you people apply "conspiracy theory-style" or "conspiracy theory" to everything that sounds extremely odd to you?
Because it's exactly that - it starts accusing the mainstream media of intentionally twisting facts. It's a theory that posits a group of people (conspirators, in this case the "MSM") of secretly plotting against the public (a conspiracy of twisting the facts). It is, quite literally, a conspiracy theory.

and it promotes a free and open Internet marketplace

the first regulation in human history to actually do so

the first regulation in human history to actually do so
Are you serious? Have you ever heard of anti-monopoly legislation or trust-busting? Free and open markets require regulations to keep them free and open.

Are you serious? Have you ever heard of anti-monopoly legislation or trust-busting? Free and open markets require regulations to keep them free and open.

a free marketplace can't be monopolized in the first place

that isn't really an argument in favor of repealing it.

no. i haven't favored anything and i still don't favor anything and the post doesn't favor anything (because it literally claims to be an actual explanation against not on misinformation but on misdirections), i'd love to see where FJ has favored this stuff

It just means that there are idiots out there. What a surprise! There are idiots everywhere.

yep, and arguably, you choose to get behind it or move on from it
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:26:43 PM by Køtt »