Land of Despots

Author Topic: Land of Despots  (Read 16293 times)

Shef expected some trouble from the clan; he remembered vaguely that there had been a woman forced to live just outside the camp for heading too far inland, but figured that given the circumstances, things might be different.  The stabs of shame he initially feels, however, are overcome by waves of joy simply at being back among his people.

Shef steps forward into the light, "I am Shef, son of Shau and Frei."  Shef, despite knowing the seriousness of the situation, is nonetheless still barely able to contain his joy, and it shows in his voice.

Shef expected some trouble from the clan; he remembered vaguely that there had been a woman forced to live just outside the camp for heading too far inland, but figured that given the circumstances, things might be different.  The stabs of shame he initially feels, however, are overcome by waves of joy simply at being back among his people.

Shef steps forward into the light, "I am Shef, son of Shau and Frei."  Shef, despite knowing the seriousness of the situation, is nonetheless still barely able to contain his joy, and it shows in his voice.

The Halut-dan hums quietly upon Shef's introduction, his gaze flitting away from him for a moment. "Shau and Frei..." he says once, collecting his memories before his brows rise and he repeats himself in a tone of realization, "Ah, Shau and Frei.". The Halut-dan adjusts himself somewhat in his seat, "Your father is away at the moment on a scouting expedition, but your mother will be rejoiced to hear of your return."

"However," the Halut-dan's voice rises in volume, chest rising and falling as he lets out a heavy sigh as he looks back to Shef. "As you are, I can't in good judgement simply let you roam around. You're stained. And you need to be cleaned." The Halut-dan shifts in his spot somewhat, looking Shef over. "Because of the... Events, that lead up to you heading so far inland, it's safe to say that your essence is still pure. It's simply your shell here, that is tainted. We will perform the Tiding Ritual on you again, in hopes of cleansing you."

Shef knows what this is. While he can't outright remember what it was like, since it is traditionally only done to infants, it's a ritual meant to bring one closer to the sea and strengthen the bonds between the essence of the soul and The-One-In-The-Deep.

The Halut-dan shifts in his seat, peering at Shef critically for a moment. "Now... I also need something else from you. If you have any idea of whether or not they're following you- I need you to tell me now. We've lost over half of our people getting here. And we can't afford another attack." The Halut-dan shifts forward, squinting at Shef as he asks him slowly, "Were you followed?"

"Bring me Kahul", The Khan says to a warrior, who nods and walks away. He returns with his domestic advisor. "How many medical staff do we possess?", he says.
A man enters the tent and kneels, "He have but 3 shamans, Great Khan."

The scouts are sent back out east to follow the path they once took, with the aim of crossing the delta into the river on the other side.
They arrive at the estuary in 3 day's time, in part aided by high winds blowing southeastward on the third day. As they begin to travel up the river, they notice that it is wider than the one by which they founded Hamcha. At the very least, the deep waters of the river give them relief that the risk of bears is pretty low.

Half a day passes in travel up this river, where they hear the thumping of drums just after they turn around a bend.

The Khan purses his lips a little. "Right. We need to train more shamans.", he says.

The Khan purses his lips a little. "Right. We need to train more shamans.", he says.
Kahul looks up, a hint of concern hanging on his shoulders. "Yes, Great Khan."

He stands, bows, then turns to leave the tent.

"You can't be serious. His holiness is not right in his mind."

"Silence, Tucay!"

"Botur, surely you must know the risks. He hasn't picked his heir and may very well do so at Kaiyely."

"I agree. We should ensure the safety and security of our tribe. At the very least, we must have a candidate—"

"You are not a member of this council, Tiyala," a white-haired elder speaks out suddenly. The room's attention darts to the elder.

The general remains calm, raising his voice only slightly to convey urgency, "I am aware, sir Khirgem. I only want the peace, safety and prosperity of our people, just as you do-"

"I won't hear anything more about it, General. You were only invired here as a guest. Please take your leave."

The General's face expresses the clear desire to argue further, but, trained in his discipline, he curtly bows and leaves.

The Ynyshu waits until the general's heavy footsteps fade out in the night. The torchlight dances on the score and a half of elders, mostly men, most of their faces bearded, most of their beards showing gray, silver and white, a handful of women also seated, all of them with hair tied back in a bun or tail.

Dhokem's eyes flit back and forth as the council focuses back on Khirgem.

"Yaksha Tiwak te-Koh is a man the people respect deeply. He has guided us through the famine four years ago." A few nod. "His guidance on sheep breeding has allowed us to double our flocks in three years." More join in nodding, others verbally express their approval.

Dhokem, now impatient and not wanting to lose the opportunity, rises quickly to his feet and speaks out. "And even then, this very same mistake led our grandfathers to flee their homeland when Hecey ti-Won was the yaksha!" Several seated at the council nod, but most simply mutter and scoff at the outburst. "Surely you know the risks of the Yaksha picking a mere fool!" The assembly loses its peace. It was too late. The momentum was against him.

Some jeer at Dhokem, and others, provoked by the atmosphere of insult, begin to argue amongst each other. The speaking gets louder until a female kamek-li stands and hits a mallet against a small brass cymbal, drawing the angry crowd to a stifled lull. She sits down, Khirgem's gesture made to her, falling to his side, he pauses.

He stands, "It is a grave disrespect against the Yaksha that we seek to remove him from his office not two days before Kaiyely. The Ynyshu will not be held in contempt of the kamek. Those to vote in favor of choosing a new yaksha... Raise your hand." Khirgem sits back down, as he scans the room as it falls into a silent vote.

A number of hands are lifted into the air. The woman at Khirgem's side scans the room, her mouth moving gently as she counts the hands, including Dhokem's. "13 in favor," she replies.

"And those against?" Khirgem inquires.

Hands go up, including Khirgem's. The woman counts them, same as before.

"18 against."

The winners sit back in relief, perhaps even smug. The losers sigh and hang their heads, the younger among them wearing faces of frustration and spite.

"The Yaksha will go untested through Kaiyely." The woman stands and hits the cymbal three times.

The assembly stands and shuffles out the entrance over the cushions that they had sat upon, leaving the tense mood hanging in the air. Several groups strike up conversations on the way out, cordial and contentious alike. Dhokem leave and splits off from the crowd, heading towards the edge of town, where a hut, which had been abandoned for years, still stands, it's roof sunken in. He steps behind it, the clouds above making the area almost totally dark. "The vote failed, general.

Tiyala let's out a heavy, measured sigh. "Where we're you when I was still allowed in. I didn't hear two sentences out of your mouth the whole time.

"I'm—I'm sorry. I spoke too late. It was 13 to 18."

The sound of the crickets, the wind, and the distant murmur of the kamek-li speaking as they travel back to their homes.

"We can only pray at this point," the general concedes.

"Hm." Dhokem sighs, "I will see you at Kaiyely."

The Khan also calls his diplomatic advisor in the tent, Uligan.

Uligan arrives, bowing at the Khan's feet, "You sent for me, Great Khan?"

Uligan arrives, bowing at the Khan's feet, "You sent for me, Great Khan?"
Khan nods, allowing Uligan to rise. The Khan walks around the table which possesses the map to the known land, motioning to the marker that the strange men were discovered. "How do you think we should go about these... These people?", he says.

Uligan stands and walks with the Khan over to the map.

"How much do we know about them?"

Uligan stands and walks with the Khan over to the map.

"How much do we know about them?"
The Khan strokes his beard in thought. "Not much. We do know they have a base there on the river, just not where their village is or what their intentions are."

"Did they prepare for war, peace or trade?"

"Did they prepare for war, peace or trade?"
The Khan continues to stroke his beard, nodding. "They seemed rather violent when I tried to confront them.", he says with a sigh. "I'd like to go off with good intentions with these people however."

Uligan, in turn, strokes his beard, "I advise, Great Khan, that you send an envoy to them. Bear gifts, good gifts, so that they might respect you and your influence."

Uligan, in turn, strokes his beard, "I advise, Great Khan, that you send an envoy to them. Bear gifts, good gifts, so that they might respect you and your influence."
The Khan looks up from the map to Uligan, and nods to him. "Very good. Do just that.", he says and dismisses him.

A team of three canoes is sent down river, bearing gifts to the strangers down-stream.

The Haluti fork river camp spots two canoes heading downstream from just upstream.