Author Topic: Blockland VR  (Read 2435 times)

It's possible to have slight Blockland VR with ZSNO's 360 perspective add-on + Virtual Desktop on Steam, and of course with a VR headset.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/269183233

I'd skip towards the end for a small demonstration of in-game on a freebuild.

Also, I'd turn sounds off since I was on Discord and my friends were playing a different game.

I had to use keyboard and mouse yes, because the camera movements in-game don't follow the headset's movements. So it's not fully-on perfect VR.

Just thought I'd share.

Cool concept, bummer that Badspot probably won't ever add actual headset support.

Cool concept, bummer that Badspot probably won't ever add actual headset support.
I just like how people don't understand how difficult it is to add something like VR on a really old game engine that wasn't stable

I just like how people don't understand how difficult it is to add something like VR on a really old game engine that wasn't stable
Hardest thing would probably be the animations. The hands are at least already detached, so that makes things significantly easier. But the fact that you need a completely dynamic animation that also plays well with the rest of the animations...

Next would probably be GUIs. You'd need an entirely new system if it's ever going to be comfortable for VR users. Every VR game uses 3d space interfaces, Blockland doesn't. And it would end up having to be compatible with add-ons as well. Which means not just adding these floating GUIs, but replacing the old GUIs in the exact same structure.

Then there would be networking it all. A server would have to support both types of clients. And transmit all the new VR information to all the clients as well. I don't really know much about this.

And finally, the script side of things. This probably isn't too much work but probably also necessary. You no longer have all the freedoms of keyboard+mouse. You don't even have fully fledged controllers. You have controllers with significantly less buttons, and need to make use of the motion controls. Building should be pretty simple, make it work similarly to port(?)'s brick tool. Then maybe have the other hand control shifting and rotating. It would also be nice to be able to dual wield any combination by simply grabbing something with the left hand, but I feel like that would be more of a dream than a goal. At the very least, you'd have to recode any akimbo weapons to allow the left one to be fired with the left hand rather than automatically firing with the right hand.

But yet, there's also something you can't really achieve with jamming some work or code into things. How do you get your VR players communicating with others? There's no voice chat in Blockland. Typing is godawful in VR. So if you also wanted to introduce voice chatting, that's another entire layer of work for that feature alone on top of all the VR stuff.

He probably doesn't even have VR himself so he can't even test any of this either. So there's also a cost on top of this.

Yeah. I can see why he wouldn't do it. And if he did, I can imagine it would be like... $20 DLC. Even then it wouldn't be worth it.

very interesting, and yes, it's not worth it to even add vr to this game. blockland vr would require an entire rework of the gui, and even then, it would probably give the majority of people some headaches and nausea.