Erik Johnson says Valve will stop barring games from the Steam Store

Author Topic: Erik Johnson says Valve will stop barring games from the Steam Store  (Read 6681 times)

maybe we're sick of scrolling through 25 pages of Romantic Trans Furry Anime Dating Sim with high precision dong physics and optional nude mode
wow it's so bad. i can't believe how many pages of that stuff there are. oh my god. it's nothing but furry degeneracy as far as the eye can see.

I'm not ever seeing this.
Not in the featured games.
Not in the recommended games.
Not even in the newest games. (Though that has problems of it's own)

Are you sure you're not seeing curator recommendations, or maybe you're being recommended games based on "Romantic Trans Furry Anime Dating Sim" games you've already bought/played?

wow it's so bad. i can't believe how many pages of that stuff there are. oh my god. it's nothing but furry degeneracy as far as the eye can see.

yeah it was an exaggeration. I don't think these games have any place on steam.

I don't think so either, but if you're not seeing them and not buying them why does it matter
that's the whole point of what Valve was saying: "you may not like these games, neither do we, but it's not really our place to censor games and we're going to give you the tools to filter them out"

I don't think so either, but if you're not seeing them and not buying them why does it matter
that's the whole point of what Valve was saying: "you may not like these games, neither do we, but it's not really our place to censor games and we're going to give you the tools to filter them out"
yeah tristan we get it you're excited for all the creep games

they're still banning illegal content, you know

What really makes a game qualified to 'have a place on steam' though?

We've had 'not games' (walking simulators, etc), we've had loveual content in games (GTA, Witcher, etc), and we've had games that nobody likes (starforge, that one dayz clone, etc). What about these games are crossing the line that others haven't already? As much as it means seeing a bunch of games I don't like, I am against the idea of taking the biggest platform and opportunity away from people just because someone has some arbitrary idea on what fits and what doesn't.
Hell, we even have straight up software and movies on steam.

I think what would be a good alternative that would work for everyone is to give it it's own section like software and movies do. And have it hidden by default. The only people who are gonna play those types of games are people that are looking for them anyway, so they still have the market opportunity. As for legal matters, which should already be a concern with aforementioned "games with loveual content"... That could be solved by making sure the user cannot buy those types of games unless they have a verified method of payment that isn't through a gift card. Like paypal (which now requires you to be an adult to use, I think) or a credit card.

one point to not letting everything on is steam does absolutely nothing to check if games even work, so there's been games on the store that don't even come with executable files. other than that i think the free market idea is a good one. lets developers reach the currently most used and browsed games storefront and stuffty games will be suppressed like always
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:25:28 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

one point to not letting everything on is steam does absolutely nothing to check if games even work, so there's been games on the store that don't even come with executable files.
Well yeah. Of course they'd still have to check if things actually work. They still plan on removing scams, asset flips, and illegal content.