Author Topic: Blockland Should Have A Free To Play Trial Run  (Read 3152 times)

I personally think that with the decline in active users over the past years, Eric should make Blockland Free To Play for a month and see if the community will spike in a positive change.

I personally understand that Blockland is a good source of income for Eric, but for a month it might be worth seeing what the community can gain from it. Sure, there will be an obvious dramatic increase of the *ahem* younger generation, but even then, players are players. It will bump up the servers and with the game being as good as it actually is, people will be more prone to actually give the game a proper try instead of getting overwhelmed in the two hour refund window and just giving up the game.

Here are the overall pros and cons I can think of. Keep in mind, I just woke up so my thought processes be lackin'.

Pros :
  • More than likely, an increase in Player Count.
  • Additional "free" marketing as people are always looking for good free games.
  • A potentially more active forum.
  • Possibilities of newer people wanting to learn to mod and script. Thus increasing the overall game and forum activity.
  • An already helpful community will help new players feel more comfortable.
  • probably more but i'm too tired to think of them

Cons :
  • For the month that the game is F2P, Eric won't get income.
  • High chance of too many young kids coming into the game.*
  • Potentially overall cancerous community. But since the community already is, I don't think it'll be a problem. ;)

* I think that with this, it'll give those kids the opportunity many of us had where we got to grow up with Blockland and learn to love it. So it could be a win-win.

I don't loving know, let me know your thoughts too. It'll obviously never happen but I just got thinking about it.

maybe not a month more like a week

For this to work we would have to get some quality servers up for the duration of the free period. Getting new players is fine, but making a good first impression on those players is what will eventually motivate those players to continue to play and host their own servers eventually.

And thus begins the cycle...

i forget, are demo users able to see the playerlist and not join anything or is the multiplayer as a whole just not there

demo users are able to see the playerlist

Eh Sure. Just for Ghits & Siggles

A month is a little long maybe 2 weeks with a sale but I'd be so down for this

not to be a negative nancy, but this has been suggested before multiple times. given the fact, and that badspot's already announced our "borrowed time", in all likelihood badspot probably doesn't have an interest in the game any more, especially after what this community has done. over 10 years old, we're nearing blockland's finale i think.

should also mention that since block party is in development and is gaining momentum, it will most likely overtake blockland if lead in the right directions
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:54:27 AM by Ceist »

not to be a negative nancy, but this has been suggested before multiple times. given the fact, and that badspot's already announced our "borrowed time", in all likelihood badspot probably doesn't have an interest in the game any more, especially after what this community has done. over 10 years old, we're nearing blockland's finale i think.

should also mention that since block party is in development and is gaining momentum, it will most likely overtake blockland if lead in the right directions

So my question is, if he no longer cares about the game why not just make it free to play? If we're really on borrowed time it's not like he's making a substantial amount of money off it anymore. At that point it might as well be made F2P in hopes that the community could possibly revive it. Also, what is Block Party?

Nevermind I see what BP is. I hope that it doesn't actually become a real thing because it looks awfully terrible at its current stage. However, it is in pre-alpha so it makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:06:38 AM by Aplem »

"it looks awful in its pre-alpha stage, therefore it shouldn't be made."

Though the game still makes him money, I believe enough to keep the master server up with a little bit of profit.

Block-party isn't the only blockland-like project aswell

Lol block party sports is not even close to this game what are ya'll on

making the game free to play for a month wouldn't make any significant change. new players would play the game, see there are only 1-2 servers worth playing on at any given time, and leave from boredom.

blockland's decline over the years is not because of lack of players, but because people aren't hosting good servers, be it because of a low-quality gamemode, or abusive admins. the only server that's honestly still worth playing, in my opinion, is K9 Kid's Zombie survival servers. And even then, he still hosts very rarely.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:51:44 PM by Planr »

im the younger generation

block party? overtaking blockland? what are you smoking