[NEWS] Steam Game, Abstractism, found to be both a Cryptominer and TF2 Item Scam

Author Topic: [NEWS] Steam Game, Abstractism, found to be both a Cryptominer and TF2 Item Scam  (Read 2872 times)

I mean I've played poorly optimized games before that hog my CPU and I've only ever been slightly annoyed. Sure the mining backdoor is intentional but there are devs out there who intentionally leave their game unoptimized and it has the same effect. If anything I'm more tolerant to a backdoor miner because at least the dev is making an extra buck. I'm just sacrificing a little bit of cpu in exchange. I can see why some people wouldn't like that unconsenting mechanism but for me I wouldn't care
So you're completely fine with the idea of paying the extra electricity, cost for the hardware (because it's lifespan will be cut short, it's not 'a little bit of cpu', it's 'as much as your cpu/gpu as possible'), cost for proper cooling (because if you don't have this and are fine with things mining on your machine, be prepared for the lifespan to be cut even shorter), all to make profit for someone else? You're paying all of the costs, and getting none of the profit. And even if you attempt to profit from the community items, that still just puts more money in their pockets.

But hey, if you're completely fine for it, mind if I set up a wallet, give you my public key so you can go mine some crypto for me? For free of course.

Edit: And before you go and say that you're getting a game out of it, I'll be totally willing to buy you a $1 game for this.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:45:37 PM by Shift Kitty »

What's wrong with this lol. It's not like it's breaching any security? The item scam part is bad but idk why people are so concerned about cryptomining
the devs lied multiple times saying that it didn't have a bitcoin/monero miner in it

So you're completely fine with the idea of paying the extra electricity, cost for the hardware (because it's lifespan will be cut short, it's not 'a little bit of cpu', it's 'as much as your cpu/gpu as possible'), cost for proper cooling (because if you don't have this and are fine with things mining on your machine, be prepared for the lifespan to be cut even shorter), all to make profit for someone else? You're paying all of the costs, and getting none of the profit. And even if you attempt to profit from the community items, that still just puts more money in their pockets.

But hey, if you're completely fine for it, mind if I set up a wallet, give you my public key so you can go mine some crypto for me? For free of course.

Edit: And before you go and say that you're getting a game out of it, I'll be totally willing to buy you a $1 game for this.
I mean it depends on how much CPU usage . I've played unturned and used glsl shaders before and both of those destroyed my CPU. I don't see how this is any different except somebody in the world is now making actual money if I use this backdoor bullstuff

I don't know anything or care at all about crypto currency but I always see that it's a trend to stuff on all mining operations or some stuff idk why. Like if there's any hardware failure in the world it's a Bitcoin miners fault or some stuff

the devs lied multiple times saying that it didn't have a bitcoin/monero miner in it
thats stupid

why mine bit coins when you could get a job/ achieve a higher education

so other games are doing this tf2 scam bullstuff now, except worse since it's almost impossible to tell if it's fake
for example, this game called Bitcoin Miner (of course) changed its display name to Team Fortress 2 (https://steamdb.info/app/810270/history/?changeid=4832432), and has 2 fake TF2 items, the strange pro ks golden frying pan and mann co. supply crate key stored in its item database (https://steamdb.info/app/810270/items/)

if you're just gonna say "oh you have to be stupid to be scammed by that", it's practically identical to the original

the game's been removed from the steam store, but this is still utterly disgusting if you ask me
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:15:34 PM by The Murderous Cop »

I mean it depends on how much CPU usage . I've played unturned and used glsl shaders before and both of those destroyed my CPU. I don't see how this is any different except somebody in the world is now making actual money if I use this backdoor bullstuff
Mining will use as much of your hardware resources as possible.
Just because you have a stuff computer, that doesn't mean this is fine. The difference between this and that is that this is probably actually criminal and that is just you trying to run things you can't.
The fact that your CPU is being destroyed by something normally done on a GPU tells an amazing picture.

I don't know anything or care at all about crypto currency but I always see that it's a trend to stuff on all mining operations or some stuff idk why. Like if there's any hardware failure in the world it's a Bitcoin miners fault or some stuff
No like, literally anyone in the world will tell you that running your hardware to 100% for long periods of time will cause the hardware to die faster. This isn't something exclusive to mining and it's not something that people use to hate on mining. In fact, it only affects the people who are mining themselves.

Companies even plan their devices around keeping the fail rate under a certain threshold at 100°C.

Knowing that a game is using your computer to mine means you're legitimately willing to shorten your hardware's lifespan.
The problem with this game in particular is that they were hiding it.
Sure. If the game straight up told people that it was using your computer for mining, then I'm sure a lot less people would say anything about it. Hell maybe it even would've stayed on the store. The dishonesty is the biggest problem.

If you seriously aren't into this subject at all, then stay out of it. Because it's really starting to show how ignorant you are.
It's fine to not know things. But it's not fine to act like there's not a problem just because you don't understand it.

This offer still stands.

Even though I know I'd be losing a dollar because your potato wouldn't earn me a cent.

To combat spoofed Steam Inventory items, they are going to implement user trade warnings if the trading item is from a game they have never played or the item's game is new to the Steam Store.
https://github.com/SteamDatabase/SteamTracking/commit/2dfffae700cd9732691de4ebcc430c15b806a6cb

They will also take an active role in moderating Steam app name changes
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/93au7a/valves_response_to_shovelware_spoofed_item/e3bxfz0/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:32:23 AM by 16-Bit »

I actually reported it as well even though i do not own the game.
Just reported it for hate speech or whatever it was called due to it's gay box and gay key. Kinda weird stuff.

so other games are doing this tf2 scam bullstuff now, except worse since it's almost impossible to tell if it's fake
for example, this game called Bitcoin Miner (of course) changed its display name to Team Fortress 2 (https://steamdb.info/app/810270/history/?changeid=4832432), and has 2 fake TF2 items, the strange pro ks golden frying pan and mann co. supply crate key stored in its item database (https://steamdb.info/app/810270/items/)

if you're just gonna say "oh you have to be stupid to be scammed by that", it's practically identical to the original

the game's been removed from the steam store, but this is still utterly disgusting if you ask me
these ppl are subhuman

the difference between unturned with good shaders and the game with the miner is that you make the conscious decision as a player to trade cpu usage for better graphics instead of having all your cpu resources used for making the developer money with no benefit to you at all

it'd be like if two people offered to make your house look nice. one does an excellent job but it was pretty expensive, and the other does a crappy job and after it's done he hides in your walls and steals all your food until you finally figure out where it's all been going and get rid of him